• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Covid Vaccine advice/Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan 76

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you for your respect and advice. I cherish and value my health more than anything and consider myself a critical thinker. In the past I have experienced bad advice from doctors and if I had listened to my GYN from 2012 I would not be alive today. He had given me very bad advice about a test he didn’t want me to get. I didn’t listen to him and got the test and I saved my own life. I know enough not to worship someone simply because they have MD after their name. I grew up with all doctors and understand they are just people and they don’t know everything

Susan 76

Certified Ski Diva
I have a sister who met a guy that graduated from Harvard. So she married him and learned that he had no intention of getting a job after she married him. He just wanted to mooch off of her . Please don’t just someone based on the school they go to or degree they have. It means nothing about their character

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Trust me. I have an Ivy degree and I know it's no protection against someone being a complete flaming . I don't say do whatever your doctor says. I tutored enough of them in biology so I can't think they're gods. But they do have clinical practice (key during a pandemic) and experience and if they're good, they are in the best position to answer your critical concerns.

The most anyone like us can say is statistically, the best choice for you is to get vaccinated. Any treatment you'd get in the hospital is likewise experimental and at your age it's about a 10% chance of needing hospitalization.

So, whom do you trust? This is tough in the U.S. without access to GPs. You deserve to have your questions answered and to talk through it with someone.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm also concerned about the vaccine but for different reasons.

I was hoping to get some protection via herd immunity but it's not looking good, frankly. The vax rates are never going to be high enough for how incredibly infectious delta is. Looks like it's a disease I'd rather not catch too.

However I have a history of adverse reactions with vaccines. I have a number of autoimmune issues and the last couple of times I had any vaccine, I had a long lasting reaction (few months) resembling something like a temporary chronic fatigue syndrome. There is severe CFS in my close family so I'm sufficiently unnerved not to want to mess around with it, and I've avoided vaccines ever since and encouraged those around me to get vaccinated so I get some herd protection. This isn't going to work for delta.

Don't really know what to do now, except stress, I guess. It seems that I have a chance of long term health issues either way.

ETA: I'm still not eligible for the vaccine in my country so this hasn't been anything I've had to think too hard about, but soon I will be - coinciding with a nice delta outbreak which we may or may not ever get on top of. Great.

Susan 76

Certified Ski Diva
I have absolutely no fear of the virus what so ever. The vaccine is what scares the heck out of me though. Of course if my job makes it mandatory then I will have no choice. I am just not big on Western Medicine esp after seeing my mom suffer from chemotherapy for no reason other than the doctor made a lot of money selling it to her knowing it wouldn’t save her. My neighbor had covid and she is my age 54 and she is fine. Her symptoms were like have a bad cold.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I have absolutely no fear of the virus what so ever.
I mean this in the kindest way possible, but I wish you would have fear.

I know I won’t change your mind about it by verbally whaling on you, so I won’t, but this belief is so deeply misguided and wrong.

The members of this forum have extended their utmost kindness to you in listening to your concerns and talking you through them. I wish you would open your heart and your mind to the suffering that we’ve all gone through over the last 18 months as a result of this deadly and life-destroying virus.

That’s all that I’ll say here; I’m going to fiddle with my settings so I can block any further notifications about this thread.

Susan 76

Certified Ski Diva
Let’s be kind and respectful of everyone‘s opinion even it’s different from you.

newboots

Angel Diva
However I have a history of adverse reactions with vaccines. I have a number of autoimmune issues and the last couple of times I had any vaccine, I had a long lasting reaction (few months) resembling something like a temporary chronic fatigue syndrome. There is severe CFS in my close family so I'm sufficiently unnerved not to want to mess around with it, and I've avoided vaccines ever since and encouraged those around me to get vaccinated so I get some herd protection. This isn't going to work for delta.

Don't really know what to do now, except stress, I guess. It seems that I have a chance of long term health issues either way.

I have heard of some people who can't take the vaccine for some reason getting help with the monoclonal antibodies. I (truly) know nothing more than this, but it's certainly worth some research. And wear your mask/wash your hands! We don't want anything to happen to you!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I have absolutely no fear of the virus what so ever. The vaccine is what scares the heck out of me though. Of course if my job makes it mandatory then I will have no choice. I am just not big on Western Medicine esp after seeing my mom suffer from chemotherapy for no reason other than the doctor made a lot of money selling it to her knowing it wouldn’t save her. My neighbor had covid and she is my age 54 and she is fine. Her symptoms were like have a bad cold.
My classmate from high school was healthy, got Covid, died a month later.

Your neighbor was lucky.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have heard of some people who can't take the vaccine for some reason getting help with the monoclonal antibodies. I (truly) know nothing more than this, but it's certainly worth some research. And wear your mask/wash your hands! We don't want anything to happen to you!
Thank you! :love: I'll do some research into it. I've never heard about monoclonal antibodies but doing a google search brings up tons of recent results.

Staying safe (and staying local)!

1629776447432.png

mustski

Angel Diva
I live in a small town where only 36% of the population got vaccinated. A few friends - my DH included - got Covid round 1 last December/January - they were sick from 10 -14 days. I currently have over 50 friends and acquaintances who have been ill with Delta in the last 6 weeks. 15 have been hospitalized, 2 are still in the hospital 4 weeks later, one had monoclonal antibody treatment and survived but was deadly ill for four weeks and still bed bound for two more, a pregnant friend was forced to deliver C section so they could intubate her and the put the baby on O2 (thankfully both are now off O2 and recovering in the hospital). One friend died. She caught it from her 32 year old son who also gave it to his wife and his 5 year old. He will suffer emotionally for quite awhile unfortunately. Everyone was sick a minimum of 16 days and for those hospitalized - 3 -4 weeks. One is still stick 6 weeks later and still in ICU and the outcome is still unpredictable - 42ish. None of these people were vaccinated. I know four who were vaccinated who also became ill but mildly so.I completely respect your decision just be aware the Delta is a completely different animal than Covid round 1.
It did help my friend in that it kept him from dying but he was completely immobilized from Delta for over 5 weeks. He was 35 years old and healthy. The reality is that none of the treatments are a sure thing. They work in some cases and not in others.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@fgor Since I happened to be reading this, here is the information on 2 leading antibody treatments from Regeneron and Astra Zeneca.

I believe Regeneron antibody cocktali has Emergency Use Authorization in US. I am not sure if it's available in New Zealand though. Astra Zeneca antibody cocktail doesn't have Emergency Use Authorization yet, but it will likely receive it since the data looked promising.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It did help my friend in that it kept him from dying but he was completely immobilized from Delta for over 5 weeks. He was 35 years old and healthy. The reality is that none of the treatments are a sure thing. They work in some cases and not in others.
@newboots was talking about antibodies as a preventative treatment for those whom vaccine is not advised for medical reasons. Antibody cocktail as treatment only work well if administered on early stages of the disease because they work by preventing viral entry into the cells. Once virus is replicating inside the cells it's much more difficult to stop, also it causes excessive inflammation so basically your own immune system is doing the damage at later stages of the severe disease.

Antibody cocktails do work as a prevention, it's a lot more expensive and inconvenient because have to re-infuse them every few weeks, but it works. It is similar to a vaccine except antibody therapy is a passive immunotherapy because the antibodies are delivered externally, in the case of vaccine your own immune system, specifically B cells make antibodies in the response to the vaccine and they will persist for a while (6 months or so) because B cells continuously will make more.

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I live in a small town where only 36% of the population got vaccinated. A few friends - my DH included - got Covid round 1 last December/January - they were sick from 10 -14 days. I currently have over 50 friends and acquaintances who have been ill with Delta in the last 6 weeks. 15 have been hospitalized, 2 are still in the hospital 4 weeks later, one had monoclonal antibody treatment and survived but was deadly ill for four weeks and still bed bound for two more, a pregnant friend was forced to deliver C section so they could intubate her and the put the baby on O2 (thankfully both are now off O2 and recovering in the hospital). One friend died. She caught it from her 32 year old son who also gave it to his wife and his 5 year old. He will suffer emotionally for quite awhile unfortunately. Everyone was sick a minimum of 16 days and for those hospitalized - 3 -4 weeks. One is still stick 6 weeks later and still in ICU and the outcome is still unpredictable - 42ish. None of these people were vaccinated. I know four who were vaccinated who also became ill but mildly so.I completely respect your decision just be aware the Delta is a completely different animal than Covid round 1.

So sad. I do not understand some of the attitudes.

mustski

Angel Diva
@newboots was talking about antibodies as a preventative treatment for those whom vaccine is not advised for medical reasons. Antibody cocktail as treatment only work well if administered on early stages of the disease because they work by preventing viral entry into the cells. Once virus is replicating inside the cells it's much more difficult to stop, also it causes excessive inflammation so basically your own immune system is doing the damage at later stages of the severe disease.

Antibody cocktails do work as a prevention, it's a lot more expensive and inconvenient because have to re-infuse them every few weeks, but it works. It is similar to a vaccine except antibody therapy is a passive immunotherapy because the antibodies are delivered externally, in the case of vaccine your own immune system, specifically B cells make antibodies in the response to the vaccine and they will persist for a while (6 months or so) because B cells continuously will make more.
My friend was treated with Regeneron antibody. It was outpatient but administered at the hospital. He was about 10 days into the virus at that point. It definitely saved his life but he was bed bound and sick for 4 more weeks after the treatment. It was touch and go for quite awhile.

MissySki

Angel Diva
deleted because it is just too morbid. It’s been a tough few weeks

I’m sorry you are having this happen to so many people you know.

I wouldn’t have deleted though. Seems like some people need a wake up call of what’s actually going on in the world. If one is going to scrutinize the vaccine so heavily yet blatantly ignore all of the virus risks.. well that doesn’t make any sense to me whatsoever. Willful ignorance isn’t a good look, and the experiences you are witnessing first hand are valuable insight to share with those folks.

Last edited:

Susan 76

Certified Ski Diva
Eventually everyone will be vaccinated because of the mandates that are coming. Mandates are coming to every state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna