• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Covid Vaccine advice/Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan 76

Certified Ski Diva
@Susan 76 as others have said this is just a group of non professions who are sharing their anecdotal experiences.

You mention that your work is possibly mandating vaccines? do you currently work from home? Its unfortunate that you are not able to access doctors that you feel you can have a relationship with.

To answer some of the questions you raised - have you looked at the data on the cdc's website?

You mention avoiding sugar etc and possible allergies -- I would review the ingredients if I had a concern about a possible reaction -- if you go to the link I posted above, and find Appendix C it will list the ingredients for the 3 vaccines as well as other information that would answer other questions you have asked.
I do not work from home because I am in security. I wish I could work from home.
I have been in the office every single day since this whole thing started. I am grateful to have stayed employed and healthy during this entire thing. The site that I am at is a financial institution and they never close no matter what.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I do not work from home because I am in security. I wish I could work from home.
I have been in the office every single day since this whole thing started. I am grateful to have stayed employed and healthy during this entire thing. The site that I am at is a financial institution and they never close no matter what.
Do you have to have lots of contact with the public in your job? If so, do please be aware of how this virus travels from person to person, and get familiar with the rate of transmission in your area. This information will probably be easy to find on your local government's website. At least it is on mine, here in Massachusetts.

I worry that you have learned all about the problems that can arise from the vaccines and are taking these into account as you make your decisions about whether to get it or not, but that you haven't paid as much attention to the effects of getting the disease as you make your decision. How healthy one is, how healthy one's lifestyle, how good one's exercise and diet, doesn't seem to have much of an effect on whether someone gets it or not. Age plays a part, but young people get it too. It's whether you breathe in air from someone who is infected, even if they have no symptoms. That air will have virus particles in it. It lingers.

With the new Delta variant spreading fast through the US, my readings indicate people tend to hold and shed higher amounts of virus particles than with the previous variant, and remember this happens before symptoms show up so they don't know they are infecting others.

Whether you breathe air with the virus in it or not is going to determine whether you get it or not, as I understand it. Young healthy people are now getting the disease at a higher rate than in the past, which may be due to the Delta variant being more easily transmitted.

And if you get Covid-19, the symptoms can be dire; I"m sure you know that. But often people only have symptoms that are mild, so that's good news, and I'm betting you are aware of that too. Maybe without the vaccine, if you get Covid, you will have mild symptoms. But you may transmit it to others while on the job or while out and about.

Even with mild symptoms, a person can still end up with Long Covid, which is lingering systemic problems with your lungs and heart that continue far after the disease is over. I know someone with long covid who had barely any symptoms at all. The lingering symptoms of Long Covid have been worse for him than the actual disease. You don't want that.

Do please read up on Long Covid, on the Delta variant, and on the rising incidence of people in hospital and dying from the disease, the age of people getting the disease now compared to last year, and pay special attention to the rate of disease in the area where you live.

Best of luck in staying free of the disease and in not transmitting it to others.

Susan 76

Certified Ski Diva
Hi Liquidfeet, I do not have contact with a lot of people. We moved to a new building that has us behind a big desk and people cannot get close to us. I am in MA. Most/all people are vaccinated here.

elemmac

Angel Diva
I think you really need to speak with a physician to figure out your options and the best path for you. Many of the questions you are posing are better suited for one. I get that you don’t have a relationship with a PCP, but maybe your gyn has suggestions. We’re just a bunch of random women on the internet who enjoy skiing, with varying degrees of understanding about the current state of affairs with COVID-19, vaccines, etc.
I'll echo this, but I'll add a suggestion for a virtual health visit. @Susan 76 , if you have health insurance through your employer or insurance on your own, they may provide options to virtual visits. If you don't have insurance, I'm sure there's options to set up a conversation with a medical health professional on your own. I currently do not have a primary care physician, and haven't for quite some time. But I tried this type of service for the first time a couple weeks ago, and it was so easy. This way you can express your concerns, ask lots of questions and speak to professionals that can really help to sort out what the best path is for you. My employer uses a company called Teladoc, and I will say it was so easy and convenient to get the information I needed...and it was all right from home.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Did anyone get the J&J shot? If you did how bad were the side effects? Any shot recommendations that are the easiest and least side effects?
Thanks advance skiers and riders.
Since you are thinking about J&J, here's a recent report about research that supports the idea that J&J does well with Delta.

August 6, 2021

Susan 76

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you very much Elemmac!
Since you are thinking about J&J, here's a recent report about research that supports the idea that J&J does well with Delta.

August 6, 2021
I am also considering Moderna.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

August 6, 2021
I like that they say no need for booster shot! That is what I was thinking based on some of the data, but this study really confirms it and confirms the protection against Delta.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I am also considering Moderna.
I had Moderna. My husband and college-age daughter had Pfizer a couple months earlier. He has underlying medical issues. She had a part-time job in healthcare last winter. He and I are in our mid-60s. We didn't really care between the mRNA vaccines. We don't have reactions to flu shots.

All three vaccines are safe and effective from a regulatory aspect based on clinical trails in 2020 that involved tens of thousands of Americans. There were also smaller studies done in other countries at the same time. The FDA requires that the primary efficacy trials be done in the U.S. More people in the worth have had Moderna and Pfizer, so there is more safety data available about side effects.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
I had two Moderna shot with only a briefly sore spot on my arm. With a lifelong history of pneumonia and other lung infections, I'm terrified of getting Covid-19. I live alone and have had very minimal exposure to others, not even going to a grocery for twelve months until 2nd vax. It's great that you're researching before your decision. I encourage you to choose a vax to avoid all the horrible effects especially the long term ones. Nothing is foolproof, but avoid what you can.

Tvan

Angel Diva
Like @Little Lightning , I have a history of serious, life-threatening illness that I was fortunate to recover from. Like you, @Susan 76 , I eat a mostly organic diet, no sugar, soy, gluten, processed foods, etc. I exercise regularly throughout the year. Because of my medical history, there are some types of immunizations that I can’t have. Luckily, Moderna and Pfizer are both mRNA vaccines which I am eligible for. I had the Moderna and had very minimal side effects… a sore arm and some body aches. Having been deathly ill before, I was thrilled to have the opportunity to get the vaccine. I NEVER want to be that ill ever, ever again.

Polly

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Did anyone get the J&J shot? If you did how bad were the side effects? Any shot recommendations that are the easiest and least side effects?
Thanks advance skiers and riders.
If you are at risk for blood clots, or take birth control pills every day esp if you’re a smoker definitely talk to your GYN. There is higher risk for clotting in those situations. If you have a lot of inflammation in your body, or have a cardiac history including any arrhythmias, make sure you speak with a cardiologist in advance. Not your GP. A cardiologist. I have weird like angina symptoms forever w much testing. A lot of inflammation in my body but no autoimmune disease that we know of. In short, I was afraid of cardiac side effects w the mRNA vaccines (I’m a clot risk and personally I’m in the vaccine industry and was not for J&J or AZ) but insisted on Moderna due to my knowledge about it and Pfizer. I’m short, I now have pericarditis. Not allowed to exercise or get my HR up. This may change my life. Take your vaccine candidacy very seriously and get the right help. The doctors, esp the cardiologists are starting to admit there are risks. It’s best to work with someone who can assess you. If they laugh at you like they did me, walk out and find another provider. Also 600-800mg ibuprofen 3x per day for 3 days in advance of the mRNA vaccines and for 3 days after was advised to me by my cardiologists. Granted I pulled the trigger on getting that second shot last minute abd didn’t prepare which I regret, but this goes against CDC advisement. That said, the CDC doesn’t know your history. Antibody levels will not be that much reduced and you could prevent what happened to me maybe in yourself.

Susan 76

Certified Ski Diva
If you are at risk for blood clots, or take birth control pills every day esp if you’re a smoker definitely talk to your GYN. There is higher risk for clotting in those situations. If you have a lot of inflammation in your body, or have a cardiac history including any arrhythmias, make sure you speak with a cardiologist in advance. Not your GP. A cardiologist. I have weird like angina symptoms forever w much testing. A lot of inflammation in my body but no autoimmune disease that we know of. In short, I was afraid of cardiac side effects w the mRNA vaccines (I’m a clot risk and personally I’m in the vaccine industry and was not for J&J or AZ) but insisted on Moderna due to my knowledge about it and Pfizer. I’m short, I now have pericarditis. Not allowed to exercise or get my HR up. This may change my life. Take your vaccine candidacy very seriously and get the right help. The doctors, esp the cardiologists are starting to admit there are risks. It’s best to work with someone who can assess you. If they laugh at you like they did me, walk out and find another provider. Also 600-800mg ibuprofen 3x per day for 3 days in advance of the mRNA vaccines and for 3 days after was advised to me by my cardiologists. Granted I pulled the trigger on getting that second shot last minute abd didn’t prepare which I regret, but this goes against CDC advisement. That said, the CDC doesn’t know your history. Antibody levels will not be that much reduced and you could prevent what happened to me maybe in yourself.
Thank you Polly for sharing your story. I have a lot of inflammation in my body too.
I greatly appreciate you telling me this information!

Susan 76

Certified Ski Diva
Unfortunately, the vaccine is very political. Everyone who voted for Biden on this board has definitely been vaccinated.. I doubt anyone here is a Republican... I respect everyone no matter which side they are on.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately, the vaccine is very political. Everyone who voted for Biden on this board has definitely been vaccinated.. I doubt anyone here is a Republican... I respect everyone no matter which side they are on.

Just a word of warning to everyone here: Political discussions are not permitted on TheSkiDiva.com. So let's keep that in mind as we proceed.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Vaccines should NOT be poitical. Do what is right for you AND your fellow man.

A close friend is a frontline nurse and is very upset that she's seeing entire families witn COVID-19. Some family members survive and some don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna