• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Blisters

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
[Cross posted at epic, btw]

I'm getting blisters on my feet, the inside of my heels, when I ski. They suck. I can't figure out what is going on, because my boots are only a year old and fit like a charm last year. They still seem to fit fine, except obviously something is rubbing. I wear really thin socks; maybe a little thicker would be better? Any ideas?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Ow.
Sympathy.
Mainly because DH is (was) having ankle issues (not necessarily blisters, yet) in his less than one season old boots this past weekend.
If blisters, your foot is definitely moving.
Boots definitely need snugging.
His solution: arch to heel thin shim pads beneath orthotic, and varus wedges beneath orthotic (ski specific insoles).
All are temp/removable (until/if wedges are glued in place).
Why not try something to snug things up in similar manner to see if it helps?
If it does, time to go for the permanent fix.
Might get you through the better part of this season?
Just a thought, worth a try. Worked for him.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, you might be moving around a bit but I also had a spot that was being rubbed raw on the inside of my ankle bone that seems to have disappeared with a few more days of skiing so maybe things will settle out? I'd try a slightly thicker sock first if you have them.

altagirl

Staff member
Anything thicker than a liner sock is a recipe for disaster for me, but it can't hurt to try. Well... it can actually hurt a lot, come to think about it... but it won't cost you anything!

I blister very easily, especially when I'm wearing boots/shoes I haven't worn in a while. So it wouldn't be unusual for me to have blisters for the first few days and then my feet toughen up in those spots and it doesn't bother me again... until next season anyway. I mean, even with a perfect fit - you are flexing your ankles a bit in the boot and even that tiny movement makes me blister until my skin adapts to it again.

If it persists or if you can feel your foot moving around, it's definitely a fit issue, but unfortunately it might mean they've packed out enough they're too loose... and that's not easy to fix.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Anything thicker than a liner sock is a recipe for disaster for me, but it can't hurt to try. Well... it can actually hurt a lot, come to think about it... but it won't cost you anything!

I blister very easily, especially when I'm wearing boots/shoes I haven't worn in a while. So it wouldn't be unusual for me to have blisters for the first few days and then my feet toughen up in those spots and it doesn't bother me again... until next season anyway. I mean, even with a perfect fit - you are flexing your ankles a bit in the boot and even that tiny movement makes me blister until my skin adapts to it again.

If it persists or if you can feel your foot moving around, it's definitely a fit issue, but unfortunately it might mean they've packed out enough they're too loose... and that's not easy to fix.

Hey, that was your post 1234!

Thanks for all the tips. They better not be packed out. Maybe I've lost foot weight. :redface: Actually, they still feel awesome skiing, so I don't think it's that. I guess I'll tape up before I ski for a while. According to the bootfitter, I have pretty low volume ankle/heel area, so I will probably need more padding there.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ooh yuck! I get blisters so easily. What I can recomend is the spray ( buy it at the grocery store or pretty much anywhere ) for relief for now until they heal, stays put better than the bandaids. Good luck on the boots, hope you get those figured out soon!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Inside of the heel blisters is typically a pronation issue. If you already have custom footbeds, I'd have them looked at. If not, sounds like you may need some (or at least better footbeds).

michpc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I might suggest trying pairing a liner with regular light or midweight ski socks. I don't do this for my ski boots, but I do for hiking boots and it definitely helps me with blisters. Good luck, blisters suck!

altagirl

Staff member
I might suggest trying pairing a liner with regular light or midweight ski socks. I don't do this for my ski boots, but I do for hiking boots and it definitely helps me with blisters. Good luck, blisters suck!

I've done that for hiking too. But if your boots fit properly, there is no way you could fit all that sock into them!

I have tried wearing basically pantyhose with a liner sock on top though.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Inside of the heel blisters is typically a pronation issue. If you already have custom footbeds, I'd have them looked at. If not, sounds like you may need some (or at least better footbeds).

Hmmm. That makes sense. I do pronate, and I do have customs, thought they have never been a problem. But can they break down?

By the way, thanks to everyone here for the useful ideas. I posted at epic in the bootfitters thread, thinking, "gee, pros might have seen this before" and it's been an exercise in futility. I've been either patronized or ignored. :rolleyes: (And yes, I know that's why this site exists ...)

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've done that for hiking too. But if your boots fit properly, there is no way you could fit all that sock into them!

I have tried wearing basically pantyhose with a liner sock on top though.

Maybe pantyhose is next. I can barely get my right boot on, even with the ultralight SmartWools, so a thicker sock might not be happening. But pantyhose might work.

altagirl

Staff member
Maybe pantyhose is next. I can barely get my right boot on, even with the ultralight SmartWools, so a thicker sock might not be happening. But pantyhose might work.

The only caution is that if your boots ARE too big, the slippery-ness between the pantyhose and liner sock can make them slide more. The good thing is that you probably won't blister, but it can allow more movement if you have space. If they're tight enough though, you won't feel much difference.

Just to be safe, I'd wear like knee high type nylons... that way if it ends up annoying you, you can always take them off easily. Actually - that's pretty much true of any sock change. If I'm trying something different, I know I should bring my regular pair along so if I can't stand it, I can always go back to what I'm used to.

And tightening up heel pockets in boots is the worst. Your bootfitter should be able to make like a butterfly type thing that they glue on to the outside of your liner to help take up space... but it only does so much.

And on another note - for those of us with narrow heels/ankles and wider forefeet - you have to try the new Black Diamond Shiva boots! They're AT boots, but you can get regular block soles that work in normal alpine bindings. They have the tightest heel pocket I've ever felt! AMAZING! :smile:

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

You just need to bring a blow dryer with you to warm up your boots like Bud. :D

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You just need to bring a blow dryer with you to warm up your boots like Bud. :D

Um, well, when I boot up in the condo I do use a blow dryer. My feet are low volume everywhere but the instep, and yikes! does that pinch when I put a boot on. (What we go through to slide down a hill ....)

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Pinto, I got blisters on the insides of my feet, right in front of my ankles. When I went to a bootfitter (Surefoot), they determined it was a canting issue. They planed down the soles of my new boots to realign my feet/legs, and the problem immediately vanished.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And on another note - for those of us with narrow heels/ankles and wider forefeet - you have to try the new Black Diamond Shiva boots! They're AT boots, but you can get regular block soles that work in normal alpine bindings. They have the tightest heel pocket I've ever felt! AMAZING! :smile:

You know that's funny I was pondering the thought of putting DD in AT boots as she is little but has big feet ( junior boot instep is too low for her arch ). I thought the weight would be more appropriate...Do you know offhand how much they weigh with a block sole? I may need to switch horses mid-stream.

altagirl

Staff member
You know that's funny I was pondering the thought of putting DD in AT boots as she is little but has big feet ( junior boot instep is too low for her arch ). I thought the weight would be more appropriate...Do you know offhand how much they weigh with a block sole? I may need to switch horses mid-stream.

Looks like they're 8lbs, 12 oz.

I would not think there is any significant weight difference with the block soles vs. the AT soles - you just replace them and they are roughly the same size.

That actually sounds like a great idea for your daughter's situation.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah that was my thought at the end of last season, lighter weight and a little softer flex than a woman's alpine boot might be the best option. Of course at that point the option of putting her in AT bindings as well made absolutely no sense as I can't see her making significant use of them to out weigh the cost at her age. I am going to try them on this afternoon and see how the flex feels compared to my boots which are a little too stiff and heavy for her despite the fact we wear the same size :eek:.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga