• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Beaver Creek 1/10/23

BReeves215

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Second the recommendation above for Arrowhead area. Long, uncrowned runs with varying pitches that all wind up at the same lift. Especially good on powder days since it seems to be under the radar, although that may not be as true on holidays/school breaks.

Michelle P

Certified Ski Diva
@
Love to hear this about it being low pressure! We’re headed out to BC this weekend. Hubs and kids are much stronger skiers than me so I’ll be skiing by myself mostly. We’re staying at a condo in Avon. Any suggestions on a good area to explore for a group with mixed abilities?

Oh man....you may regret asking this question (at least in terms of me and info sharing!)

First, it depends on your level of comfort/ski desires and secondly, at least at the get-go of the day, it depends how you are getting up to BC from Avon.

++++++++++
Getting there...depending on where you are staying, you have the option to take a bus (free) to the main BC resort area OR you have the option to take the Riverfront Gondola from the Westin up to the Lower BC chairlift and that will bring you to Bachelor's Gulch. (Note, then there's a way to ski back down to the Gondola....it's pretty nifty!). We have done both -- our preference because we stay at the Wyndham is typically to just take the gondola. BUT the bus comes often and is an easy/quick trip.

Ok...so once you are up at the mtns...there's 3 areas. Beaver Creek, Bachelor's Gulch, and ArrowHead.

BC and BG probably have the greater variety of terrain, but ArrowHead is less popular and thus mostly can be a little more relaxing.

Overall...for you,
* McCoy Park (top of the B.G. area) is a big open area of green runs. This is a nice area to just relax -- it is probably one of the flattest areas. BUT this would not be a good area to check in with the family as you can't necessarily reach each other at the chairlift.
* Red Buffalo (to of B.C. area) is another great green area with LOTS of options and a little more "steep". I love this area to just cruise and practice turns, edging, etc. This area is all green, but you'll see a bunch of different levels of capabilities because it is just such a nice area to lay back. The other good thing is it's pretty easy to get to and to meet up with others (who might be primarily on other lifts with more challenging terrain). (You can also traverse from Birds of Prey lift over there...which is a nice way to separate from the family). Note -- if your family is hanging out at Birds of Prey, and you choose Red Buffalo, it is possible to traverse back there and meet up at the lodge. The quickest way would be off of the Centennial area you can take Redtail down. It is a long steep run, but depending on how you feel, it's very open for traversing and making your way down slowly (or bombing if you so choose to get back fast!). Certainly a doable option to meet up. Otherwise, you can take cinch which is VERY relaxing, just long/slow -- which sometimes has it's merits!
* ArrowHead, Bachelor Gulch are nice for Blue Runs that are a little more challenging and yet offer some green and black for variety. Favorites for me are Gunder's, Cabin Fever, Golden Bear and Cresta.
* Strawberry Express -- I really enjoy Bitterroot as a long blue cruiser. This lift also offers black options allowing everyone can meet at the bottom. From the top you can also traverse over to Larkspur / Birds of Prey and Grouse (as well as McCoy).
* Larkspur -- I would put Larkspur as moderate/challenging blue, depending. I have a love hate relationship with the Larkspur run (depends of the snow conditions/time of year -- though as I get a little better I don't hate it AS much) and if you are avoiding moguls, stay away from Paintbrush (though it did force me to practice!). BUT the top of Larkspur also has a lovely long cruiser that you can take back down to Strawberry Express. AND from Strawberry Express you can take Sawbuck (a super fun long green cruiser with a few small "challenging" spots) all the way to Bachelor's Gulch.
*Centennial -- this is the motherlode area, though the green off of it is pretty limited. Cinch is a good way down though (or to avoid the upper steeps of the blue and then shift back to the blues lower down -- the lower part of the blues is a little less stressful).

....Um....I think I'll stop there. Feel free to reach out if I can offer other thoughts and details. I am no expert at skiing -- so, I've really spent time when we are there learning what works for my level....and it's been fun over time to see my "advance". :smile:

oh yeah....and one recommendation for restaurants in Avon, if you like vietnamese -- Pho20 is AWESOME (right next to Christie's Lodge).

oh yeah #2.....at least once you should try to be down at the main BC area to get some FRESH Chocolate chip cookies. Just look for the crowd mass following the chefs with the white hats/jackets walking around on the snow in the region mostly of the ski school over the centennial lift. They are soooo YUMMY!

Hope you have a great time! The snow was super awesome a couple weeks ago!

Mistletoes

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@

Oh man....you may regret asking this question (at least in terms of me and info sharing!)

First, it depends on your level of comfort/ski desires and secondly, at least at the get-go of the day, it depends how you are getting up to BC from Avon.

++++++++++
Getting there...depending on where you are staying, you have the option to take a bus (free) to the main BC resort area OR you have the option to take the Riverfront Gondola from the Westin up to the Lower BC chairlift and that will bring you to Bachelor's Gulch. (Note, then there's a way to ski back down to the Gondola....it's pretty nifty!). We have done both -- our preference because we stay at the Wyndham is typically to just take the gondola. BUT the bus comes often and is an easy/quick trip.

Ok...so once you are up at the mtns...there's 3 areas. Beaver Creek, Bachelor's Gulch, and ArrowHead.

BC and BG probably have the greater variety of terrain, but ArrowHead is less popular and thus mostly can be a little more relaxing.

Overall...for you,
* McCoy Park (top of the B.G. area) is a big open area of green runs. This is a nice area to just relax -- it is probably one of the flattest areas. BUT this would not be a good area to check in with the family as you can't necessarily reach each other at the chairlift.
* Red Buffalo (to of B.C. area) is another great green area with LOTS of options and a little more "steep". I love this area to just cruise and practice turns, edging, etc. This area is all green, but you'll see a bunch of different levels of capabilities because it is just such a nice area to lay back. The other good thing is it's pretty easy to get to and to meet up with others (who might be primarily on other lifts with more challenging terrain). (You can also traverse from Birds of Prey lift over there...which is a nice way to separate from the family). Note -- if your family is hanging out at Birds of Prey, and you choose Red Buffalo, it is possible to traverse back there and meet up at the lodge. The quickest way would be off of the Centennial area you can take Redtail down. It is a long steep run, but depending on how you feel, it's very open for traversing and making your way down slowly (or bombing if you so choose to get back fast!). Certainly a doable option to meet up. Otherwise, you can take cinch which is VERY relaxing, just long/slow -- which sometimes has it's merits!
* ArrowHead, Bachelor Gulch are nice for Blue Runs that are a little more challenging and yet offer some green and black for variety. Favorites for me are Gunder's, Cabin Fever, Golden Bear and Cresta.
* Strawberry Express -- I really enjoy Bitterroot as a long blue cruiser. This lift also offers black options allowing everyone can meet at the bottom. From the top you can also traverse over to Larkspur / Birds of Prey and Grouse (as well as McCoy).
* Larkspur -- I would put Larkspur as moderate/challenging blue, depending. I have a love hate relationship with the Larkspur run (depends of the snow conditions/time of year -- though as I get a little better I don't hate it AS much) and if you are avoiding moguls, stay away from Paintbrush (though it did force me to practice!). BUT the top of Larkspur also has a lovely long cruiser that you can take back down to Strawberry Express. AND from Strawberry Express you can take Sawbuck (a super fun long green cruiser with a few small "challenging" spots) all the way to Bachelor's Gulch.
*Centennial -- this is the motherlode area, though the green off of it is pretty limited. Cinch is a good way down though (or to avoid the upper steeps of the blue and then shift back to the blues lower down -- the lower part of the blues is a little less stressful).

....Um....I think I'll stop there. Feel free to reach out if I can offer other thoughts and details. I am no expert at skiing -- so, I've really spent time when we are there learning what works for my level....and it's been fun over time to see my "advance". :smile:

oh yeah....and one recommendation for restaurants in Avon, if you like vietnamese -- Pho20 is AWESOME (right next to Christie's Lodge).

oh yeah #2.....at least once you should try to be down at the main BC area to get some FRESH Chocolate chip cookies. Just look for the crowd mass following the chefs with the white hats/jackets walking around on the snow in the region mostly of the ski school over the centennial lift. They are soooo YUMMY!

Hope you have a great time! The snow was super awesome a couple weeks ago!
Thank you Michelle! We’re staying at Brookside condos. We’ll have a rental car (driving from Denver) and I believe there’s a shuttle from the condo but if it’s not that easy I’ll re-check your suggestions. We’re planning to ski BC M-Wed. I definitely want to check out ArrowHead, Red Buffalo and McCoy Park. I’ve been watching some YouTube videos and Larkspur looked fun in hero conditions
I love pho so thanks for the suggestion, we’ll definitely be checking that out! We’re bringing our gear but I’d like to check out Outdoor Divas while in the area to get an idea for replacing my 7 year old boots.

Amie H

Angel Diva
Hmmm, well I'd say both the Red Buffalo/Centennial and Bachelor Gulch areas have mixes of terrain difficulty. Actually much of the resort has terrain for many abilities levels, except Bird of Prey and Grouse Mountain (those are sort of in the middle of the mountain chain) so whichever side you gravitate toward will have something for all in your group.

How will you be getting there - car & parking, shuttle, or gondola from Westin?

Mistletoes

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmmm, well I'd say both the Red Buffalo/Centennial and Bachelor Gulch areas have mixes of terrain difficulty. Actually much of the resort has terrain for many abilities levels, except Bird of Prey and Grouse Mountain (those are sort of in the middle of the mountain chain) so whichever side you gravitate toward will have something for all in your group.

How will you be getting there - car & parking, shuttle, or gondola from Westin?
Our plan to get there is via shuttle. We have Sunday to get the lay of the land and sort it out.

BReeves215

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Getting the lay of the land is key. It’s a sprawling resort and the lifts between peaks were not at all intuitive, at least to me. Another factor to keep in mind is different closing times for lifts: unlike other places I’ve skied, at BC lifts within 20 feet of each other close at different times (you can’t assume all lifts in certain area close at the same time, and the one you need to get down to parking/accommodation might be closed earlier). Also important to those luddites like me/people over age 50 who need or want paper maps: none were available at my hotel (Westin/Avon), to quote the concierge: “they stopped printing maps during Covid” or on the hill. I finally got 2 at the ticket booth office where the Westin gondola disembarks. I should sell them online to finance my next ski trip.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Getting the lay of the land is key. It’s a sprawling resort and the lifts between peaks were not at all intuitive, at least to me. Another factor to keep in mind is different closing times for lifts: unlike other places I’ve skied, at BC lifts within 20 feet of each other close at different times (you can’t assume all lifts in certain area close at the same time, and the one you need to get down to parking/accommodation might be closed earlier). Also important to those luddites like me/people over age 50 who need or want paper maps: none were available at my hotel (Westin/Avon), to quote the concierge: “they stopped printing maps during Covid” or on the hill. I finally got 2 at the ticket booth office where the Westin gondola disembarks. I should sell them online to finance my next ski trip.
There are plenty of paper maps available now. At the base and at the lodges. They hand them out or you can ask the mountain hosts.

Mistletoes

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the advice! I like paper maps too. We’ve been told this resort is huge (only other time out West was skiing Steamboat last year) and this is even bigger. Maybe we’ll focus on skiing around a zone of lifts each day. Back to the trail map…

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the advice! I like paper maps too. We’ve been told this resort is huge (only other time out West was skiing Steamboat last year) and this is even bigger. Maybe we’ll focus on skiing around a zone of lifts each day. Back to the trail map…
I love paper maps as well and had more luck getting maps mailed to me before my trips by calling the local Chamber of Commerce. Two of the new-to-me resorts I called directly asking about maps kept transferring me to different departments and I just gave up talking with them.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Honestly, once you ski BC for a day and get the lay of the land, it’s pretty easy to get around and know where to head based on the lift you want to ski around. I didn’t find it as overwhelming as other places I’ve skied out West that are bigger. I’m usually a follower and don’t pay attention to where I am when at new mountains in a group.. but I was skiing alone a bit so had to actually pay attention this time lol.

Amie H

Angel Diva
I think of it as 3 major zones, with subzones within those.

For example:
1) Red Buffalo/everything above Centennial chair/Haymeadow
2) Birds of Prey/Grouse Mountain
3) Larkspur/Strawberry Express/Bachelor Gulch -->subzones of McCoy Park, Arrowhead, Elkhorn/skiways to various lodging, Bachelor Gulch area & skiways, skiway to Gondola to Avon

Michelle P

Certified Ski Diva
I think of it as 3 major zones, with subzones within those.

For example:
1) Red Buffalo/everything above Centennial chair/Haymeadow
2) Birds of Prey/Grouse Mountain
3) Larkspur/Strawberry Express/Bachelor Gulch -->subzones of McCoy Park, Arrowhead, Elkhorn/skiways to various lodging, Bachelor Gulch area & skiways, skiway to Gondola to Avon
Funny -- when I think of it, I put Larkspur in with Birds of Prey and Grouse -- since the lifts are all are at the same base area. And then I think of Bachelors Gulch and Arrowhead as separate zones since they are spread out and require some traversing to get to. Oh well...we all have our own way of thinking -- and it's all good!

Well @Mistletoes you are officially there, so I hope you have a great time. Look forward to hearing how it goes for you!

Amie H

Angel Diva
Larkspur origin point, yes, I agree, I'd group as you. But endpoint, since I always take it to McCoy, I think that's how I grouped it in my mind.

Michelle P

Certified Ski Diva
@AmieH
Oh! That makes sense. Funny how depending on where you "come at" the mountain can color your perspective!

And circling back to the earlier discussion about paper maps, I hadn't really put together just how close the top of Larkspur is to McCoy! On the chairlift I haven't really taken that it. WOW -- that's crazy (to me)!!! We only ever reach it via the Upper BC to Reunion. From Larkspur we will get back "home" via Primrose to Sawbuck.

Mind. Blown.
:fireworks:

Mistletoes

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Day 1 - 2/20
We drove across the street to the bear lot and took the shuttle to Beaver Creek Landing.

It was a cold , windy, low vis day with snow coming down in am, enough to cover the runs.

Took lower mountain BC Chair to upper BC chair to McCoy Park

That first chair takes some big dips over roads and a valley. DH and DD did not like it!

Did tranquillity in McCoy and then the kids got bored. Road an easy run out then larkspur down to another chair. Went over to Red Buffalo, pretty busy area and kids got cold. Headed up Birds of Prey chair and skied Solitude. Took cinch to saddle up lodge and went in for lunch. Bought 2 chicken sandwiches, 1 burger and fries and bowl of soup plus 2 waters and 1 beer, ~$90 with epic discount. Completely missed the free water by our table :doh:

Took red tail down to larkspur chair after lunch. Red Tail was very choppy after the snow fall but the piles were soft. Did larkspur again since DS really like the bowl aspect of it. Same as red tail, choppy skied off piles everywhere. DD and I went over to McCoy again and did Tranquility a couple times. She worked with me on drills :-). We took the Reunion chair to meet the boys at the candy cabin. Then we rode primrose (boys went down Gunders) and we skied to stirrup (reminded me of why not at steamboat) and then to Leave the Beave.

Mistletoes

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Day 2- 2/21
Bluebird day, views galore! Bear lot to bc village, took centennial chair up to cinch express and explored red Buffalo area more. Skied red Buffalo, Powell, Piney and solitude. Took centennial down, missed the turnoff to easier way down (no excuse, there’s a giant sign and I missed it) and skied it all the way to the lift. This was steeep but wide and groomed. Must be one of the easier blacks on the mountain? Fam went off to do centennial to helmuts to 1876. I took centennial to cinch up to Latigo (fav run of the day!) met everyone at base and had early lunch at Blue Moose pizza. We split a large pizza and had a beer and 2 drinks, $57. Pizza was really good!

Went back up centennial and took red tail to larkspur chair. Red tail and I have some work to do, don’t know why but I don’t love this run. DD waited for me several times down and coached me. Even though I didn’t feel great about it, she said all my turns were parallel so I’ll take the win.

We skied over to Arrowhead area and found our jam. It’s empty, lots of blue groomers and very few beginners to navigate around. DS found trail maps on mountain at the top of the arrow bahn express lift. I did Cresta a couple times and then we headed out to stirrup, leave the beave.

The views from every lift were gorgeous. So much beauty to take in. I was a little worried about snow quality deteriorating by day’s end due to the sun and temps in the 40s but it was really good all the way to the base. The signage on the mountain is really good.

Attachments

• F9A5D932-DD0A-403B-80D2-17A69B074B51.jpeg
    F9A5D932-DD0A-403B-80D2-17A69B074B51.jpeg
    487.4 KB · Views: 5
  • AA096AEB-41C6-4E0E-9098-F8BD1FEB5A70.jpeg
    AA096AEB-41C6-4E0E-9098-F8BD1FEB5A70.jpeg
    474 KB · Views: 5
  • 68119711-35BB-4F45-A3DE-0250F0C1EA50.jpeg
    68119711-35BB-4F45-A3DE-0250F0C1EA50.jpeg
    483.9 KB · Views: 5

Michelle P

Certified Ski Diva
Day 1 - 2/20

Took lower mountain BC Chair to upper BC chair ....That first chair takes some big dips over roads and a valley. DH and DD did not like it!

Took red tail down to larkspur chair after lunch. Red Tail was very choppy after the snow fall but the piles were soft. Did larkspur again since DS really like the bowl aspect of it. Same as red tail, choppy skied off piles everywhere. Then we rode primrose (boys went down Gunders) and we skied to stirrup (reminded me of why not at steamboat) and then to Leave the Beave.

Haha! The first time that I took that chairlift my husband forgot (didn't think?) to warn me of the first drop. I was busy puttering around with my gloves or whatever and when I looked up -- I looked WAAAAY down. Ended up dropping one of my gloves...I still think about that glove to this day and wonder if it's still somewhere down there.

I think the mogul/choppiness (and sometimes iciness) of Larkspur is what has lead me to not enjoy that one too much. Particularly the upper part. But when I push through the resistance I find that it is pretty good. Gunders is a favorite in the BC area for me.

Sounds like a grand first day!

Michelle P

Certified Ski Diva
Day 2- 2/21
Bluebird day, views galore! Bear lot to bc village, took centennial chair up to cinch express and explored red Buffalo area more. Skied red Buffalo, Powell, Piney and solitude. Took centennial down, missed the turnoff to easier way down (no excuse, there’s a giant sign and I missed it) and skied it all the way to the lift. T

Went back up centennial and took red tail to larkspur chair. Red tail and I have some work to do, don’t know why but I don’t love this run. DD waited for me several times down and coached me. Even though I didn’t feel great about it, she said all my turns were parallel so I’ll take the win.

We skied over to Arrowhead area and found our jam. It’s empty, lots of blue groomers and very few beginners to navigate around. DS found trail maps on mountain at the top of the arrow bahn express lift. I did Cresta a couple times and then we headed out to stirrup, leave the beave.

The views from every lift were gorgeous. So much beauty to take in. I was a little worried about snow quality deteriorating by day’s end due to the sun and temps in the 40s but it was really good all the way to the base. The signage on the mountain is really good.

Wow...you went all over! I too have missed the turn-off at centennial had to ski down -- I think for some reason for me the sign is in a weird spot. It does seem like it's an "easier" black. For me what then adds to the mental challenge is that the chairlift is there and I just figure everyone is watching me/laughing. Oh well.... Did you enjoy the Red Buffalo area for some relaxed cruising?

Red tail -- I think one of the challenges is that the steepness just keeps going. It's a long run, and lots of good skiers may come zipping by, depending on the day/time. It's nice that it's wide too! I have found with a little time that now I mostly enjoy it....particularly when I look back up and say "yeah....I just did that!".

I'm glad you found and enjoyed Arrowhead -- definitely a hidden gem. Cresta is a good one!

Today -- if you get the chance, in Arrowhead do Golden Bear (if you haven't already). Actually, Little Brave is a nice green that does meld with Golden Bear lower down so that's also a way to mix it up. Also, if you get to Strawberry Express, try out Bitterroot. VERY long, winds through tree-filled areas, has some quick drop offs for those that want to cut off corners, and well...I just really like it!

I think today is your last day? Hope you all have a great time!

tartegnin

Certified Ski Diva
I've been to BC a number of times and usually traverse across the entire mountain starting from the gondola up from Avon at Bachelor's Gulch. I didn't realize that there was a shuttle between centennial and strawberry express, but it seems like a lot of extra work. The skating skiing, or walking isn't that bad between Strawberry and the main BC area. It's probably about a "block'ish." You'll see....VERY manageable.

Otherwise, you could do a combination of chairlifts to get over there depending on how you are feeling about things -- it would be a longer "commute" though.

I was there at the end of January / early February. The snow was awesome! I am trying to push myself to get better and try more challenging blues to blacks -- certainly new skis were VERY helpful for me. BUT with that said....I still enjoy time up in McCoy Park as well as Red Buffalo. The former is wide open space that sometimes gets confusing cuz it's hard to find the run because it's so wide open. I like it for practicing new skills without the pressure of people zipping by. Red Buffalo is a little more traditional in ski run feel and a little more "challenging" than McCoy -- this past time I was just just doing laps a few days while my husband had his fun on Birds of Prey. And note -- depending on who you are with, you can go up the Birds of Prey chair and make your way over to Red Buffalo. I really enjoy that area to relax, and refine. My challenge this time was to practice "spinning" (360 circles) to improve my edging. Red Buffalo was the perfect place to do that. ArrowHead also has some decent Green and low/mid Blue options.

I can share more of my favs if you are interested.....I really love BC it is so big with so many options within access for everybody! I hope you have a great time! When are you going? We are planning to be back out there around March 18 - 24/5.
Thank you so much for the recommendations, and yes, I’d love to hear more favs. I’m there the week of March 5, so no chance to meet up, but I will add in any discoveries I make that may be of interest for your trip.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna