• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Beaver Creek 1/10/23

Amie H

Angel Diva
Woke up to a fresh blanket of snow and more falling! Changed my lenses to the amber for flat light. Met @MissySki again by my skis in the outdoor racks - and the lead singer of Old Dominion was standing there with a small entourage. I knew when she walked in the area she'd be surprised! Sure enough, she opened the door and had the biggest grin! I'll let her share the photo I took of her. So exciting!

I was determined to try to adjust my positioning to avoid the upper leg fatigue that was bothering me Monday. I planned to check out sections of the resort that I'd not visited yet. Specifically, I wanted to ski past the Bachelor Gulch chair and continue to the very edge of the resort and take the River gondola, and then Lower Beaver Mountain chair back (2 lifts I'd not yet ridden.)

We started out again on Strawberry Park Express and a few laps in the fresh snow around McCoy Park. This run on "Journey" was so fun, as there are little dips and bumps that keep things interesting.

Then a lap on a run we enjoyed Monday, "Journey" which is very slow until it slopes down with a wide, fast run out to the lift. Visibility very different from Monday when it was crystal clear, there were no other skiers, and we could just let it rip on that run out.

We then traversed across the mountain and down Beaver Creek Expressway to Larkspur to the Larkspur lift. At the top of the lift, we each went our separate ways: Missy to explore bumps runs and black runs on Grouse Mountain, and me heading past the Ritz Carlton on "Leav the Beav" - a very pretty and quiet trail - down to the river to take a ride on the Gondola.

The River Gondola doesn't connect to any skiing; rather it connects the Westin Avon resort complex to the Beaver Creek lift system. I popped into the Starbucks at the Westin for a welcome cup of tea after playing in the snow for hours.

Rode the Gondola Back and then jumped on Lower Beaver Creek lift to Upper Beaver Creek and then back to McCoy park to play a little more in that area I enjoy so much. Stopped for my backpack lunch at Eaton Warming House at the top of McCoy, which has vault restrooms and a few pre-packaged snacks, like candy and chips. A fellow skier commended me on smartly packing my own food. (I'd been there before so I knew what to expect.)

The final personal challenge I assigned to myself, after skiing, in my opinion, not as strongly as I hoped, was to take the run toward my hotel but cut off part way and take 2 blue runs to the Elkhorn Lift, which would then connect me back to the route to my hotel.

Those blue runs ended up being two long mogul hills. Well...I was there, so I just took my time, picked my lines, and made my way down. The first leg went well. The second ("Home Run") was ok, unil I had to transition from the bumps with a sharp right onto a narrow flat trail. Well...I didn't fall but it probably looked like a scene from "Ernest Skies Moguls!"

Continued skiing more blue runs until I had the Elkhorn lift in my sights. Felt a personal sense of accomplishment for meeting my admiteddly modest goals.
20230110_144239.jpg

Back to hotel for more snacks, a bit of work, hot tub, pool, steam room, then relax with Margaritas, homemade nachos (rice, beans, tomatoes, peppers, chili, cheese) and another salad.
20230110_193535B.jpg

Can't wait to visit again next season!

Attachments

• 20230110_193535.jpg
    20230110_193535.jpg
    374.6 KB · Views: 0

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I think I could be quite happy staying at The Pines and skiing Beaver Creek. Noticed they have up to 4 bedroom units...... maybe a Diva West there? I know there is no love for Vail Resorts but both Vail and Beaver Creek are very fun places to ski. And an airport about 30-45 minutes away.......

Amie H

Angel Diva
@santacruz skier I will say I've noticed they have cut back a bit on little things here and there. They used to have a basket of disposable slippers in the boot room, and those are gone. Also no more branded hostess towels (those cloth-like napkin hand towels)in ladies locker room. I mean, boo-hoo, I can live without it, but just something I noticed.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
@santacruz skier I will say I've noticed they have cut back a bit on little things here and there. They used to have a basket of disposable slippers in the boot room, and those are gone. Also no more branded hostess towels (those cloth-like napkin hand towels)in ladies locker room. I mean, boo-hoo, I can live without it, but just something I noticed.
Think I could manage…

tartegnin

Certified Ski Diva
Off to BC and The Pines Lodge next month. Really wish I could meet you and meet up with you and ski with you Amie! Sounds like we are sympatico on a lot of things (not super daring skiiers but still loving it, a bit cheap on spending on food, and just simply joyful about sliding on snow!) Thanks for the reports - never been to BC so there were a lot of good tips in your posts. Would welcome any others ...

Amie H

Angel Diva
Thanks so much, @tartegnin !

I'd say, call the actual front desk and request a microwave in your room, or ask when you check in, if you plan to reheat food. There will already be a minifridge and a Keurig.

Also, be sure to study the trail map online on how to ski back to hotel. Trail maps ARE available by request at some of the main lodges & rental areas/ticket windows. I think I've posted other trip reports from 2021 w video showing the run back to The Pines (its easy to miss turnoff.)

Also, there is a steam room and nice shower area/lockers in the women's locker room inside the workout room and hardly anyone seems to know it's there, so turn on the steam cycle before you go to hot tub/pool, and it will be ready when you are done outside.

Enjoy!!!!

tartegnin

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks, Amie! Adding all this to my "file". I also checkout out your other ski reports for BC as well as all the videos (including how to get back to the hotel). When you say it's a manageable walk/skate TO the lift, which lift is it? Also, I saw another piece of advice somewhere that said you can also hop the shuttle to Centennial instead of walking - did you do that ever?

Amie H

Angel Diva
The hike/ski to chair from Pines is Strawberry Park Express. I've never shuttled to Centennial chair, but you can ski to Strawberry Park then hike or skate/pole to Centennial probably quicker than shuttling.

BReeves215

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was at BC Jan. 22-26 - wish I had seen this beforehand! I was asked last minute to speak at a conference at the Westin that week. First time at BC and, juggling conference duties in the morning with skiing afternoons, I feel like I barely scratched the surface and will need to go back. Way less crowded than I expected or I should say not crowded at all, never waited in a lift line! Had great (albeit very cold, 10 degrees on the hill on one afternoon) conditions and refreshers every evening/morning. I loved the long groomers off Arrow Basin, the untracked powder in McCoy Park, Larkspur Bowl and everything off Larkspur lift, everything off Centennial including the beautiful view at the top. Easy, quick trip to/from Eagle airport. The only thing I didn’t like was their run/lift signage- incomplete to say the least; and referring to lifts not by name but by numbers which aren’t sequential geographically or in any other apparent order??

Michelle P

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks, Amie! Adding all this to my "file". I also checkout out your other ski reports for BC as well as all the videos (including how to get back to the hotel). When you say it's a manageable walk/skate TO the lift, which lift is it? Also, I saw another piece of advice somewhere that said you can also hop the shuttle to Centennial instead of walking - did you do that ever?
I've been to BC a number of times and usually traverse across the entire mountain starting from the gondola up from Avon at Bachelor's Gulch. I didn't realize that there was a shuttle between centennial and strawberry express, but it seems like a lot of extra work. The skating skiing, or walking isn't that bad between Strawberry and the main BC area. It's probably about a "block'ish." You'll see....VERY manageable.

Otherwise, you could do a combination of chairlifts to get over there depending on how you are feeling about things -- it would be a longer "commute" though.

I was there at the end of January / early February. The snow was awesome! I am trying to push myself to get better and try more challenging blues to blacks -- certainly new skis were VERY helpful for me. BUT with that said....I still enjoy time up in McCoy Park as well as Red Buffalo. The former is wide open space that sometimes gets confusing cuz it's hard to find the run because it's so wide open. I like it for practicing new skills without the pressure of people zipping by. Red Buffalo is a little more traditional in ski run feel and a little more "challenging" than McCoy -- this past time I was just just doing laps a few days while my husband had his fun on Birds of Prey. And note -- depending on who you are with, you can go up the Birds of Prey chair and make your way over to Red Buffalo. I really enjoy that area to relax, and refine. My challenge this time was to practice "spinning" (360 circles) to improve my edging. Red Buffalo was the perfect place to do that. ArrowHead also has some decent Green and low/mid Blue options.

I can share more of my favs if you are interested.....I really love BC it is so big with so many options within access for everybody! I hope you have a great time! When are you going? We are planning to be back out there around March 18 - 24/5.

Amie H

Angel Diva
@Michelle P just to clarify, there is a shuttle for hotel guests of Pines Lodge that can take you to the Village. (And thus Centennial chair), not between lifts bc as you noted, it's a short walk.

I loved my 2nd day this year exploring areas I haven't. It's such a low pressure place for me to set small goals for myself.

Michelle P

Certified Ski Diva
@Michelle P just to clarify, there is a shuttle for hotel guests of Pines Lodge that can take you to the Village. (And thus Centennial chair), not between lifts bc as you noted, it's a short walk.

I loved my 2nd day this year exploring areas I haven't. It's such a low pressure place for me to set small goals for myself.
Ooooh! That makes sense -- and explains your response of going up strawberry express and then skiing over there.

So what was your favorite "new area" that you discovered?

Amie H

Angel Diva
@Michelle P well, I tried some long (and utterly empty, so I could take my time) bump runs by the Elkhorn chair. Mostly cruising around the Bachelor Gulch side of the resort, doing trails I haven't yet (so many to choose from!)

I did the opposite of you in that I skied TO the gondola to have a cup of tea at the Westin Starbucks. That allowed me to tick off a few runs and lifts I hadn't tried yet. Leave the Beav is a pleasant way to end your day if heading back to the Westin or Avon. The run back to Pines lodge is faster so you need to have enough juice to make it back at the end of the day.

Michelle P

Certified Ski Diva
@Amie H
I know! Since we come up from Avon via the Lower BC chair, we have spent a decent amount of time over there and over in ArrowHead which is even LESS crowded. A local told us that that area tends to be where "they" spend their time because it's not as well known. (shhhh....keep on the lowdown.)

I haven't been on the Elkhorn Chair, in fact this time we were wondering how to get there -- we seem to miss the turn off when we come down Bitterroot. Maybe next time we'll figure it out!

Mistletoes

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Love to hear this about it being low pressure! We’re headed out to BC this weekend. Hubs and kids are much stronger skiers than me so I’ll be skiing by myself mostly. We’re staying at a condo in Avon. Any suggestions on a good area to explore for a group with mixed abilities?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly