• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Average price for binding mount???

Skibuilder

Certified Ski Diva
Honestly, I am not sure what he did to prep. I think a light/fine sanding to break the shine of the plastic would help. More importantly, an acetone wipe works well to clean the material and remove any dust from sanding. Then a self etching primer. I think he used a Krylon spray for plastic.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Interesting - I can do the second variation with no problem, but can't do the first one at all - I totally fall forward like the guys. And I have gigantic wide hips - I just also have gigantic wide shoulders....

Hah, I just went and tried like 6 more times. Angle #1 is totally not happening for me....

So I'm guessing this test is basically measuring center of gravity? - I'm a total hourglass with bust and hip measurements equal and my waist is 14" smaller than both. But if you measure my shoulders, they're another 5" bigger and I've got muscular shoulders and arms.

Edit: I realized I was cheating on the second variation and bringing my feet in closer to the wall, so my hips were behind my feet. If I get my hips right to a 90 degree angle, I can't lift up.

So yeah, I can't do either of them!
I can't even stand with both my back and feet against the wall. I struggled a bit with Angle #2 and finally did it, but, yeah, Angle #1 was a total no-go. I'm guessing that has something to do with our mutual dislike of forward mount points, huhn?

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
I'm reading the forward mounting thing with interest. I just got a pair of new/old BD Elements, which I am having mounted as we speak with Marker Lord's so I can use my Dalbello AT boots (since my stiff alpine boots would overpower the fairly light/capped/wood ski.) Based on two reviews, which said they got squirrely in the tip in crud and at speed on groomers, I've had them mounted 1.0 cm forward of the recommended spot. We shall see. And, to the point, because I bought the ski and binding from the shop, the mounting is free.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I can't even stand with both my back and feet against the wall. I struggled a bit with Angle #2 and finally did it, but, yeah, Angle #1 was a total no-go. I'm guessing that has something to do with our mutual dislike of forward mount points, huhn?
#1 - I can stand there, but all my weight is in my toes, and the chair is going nowhere.

#2 - totally easy for me

Any skis I've bought have already had bindings mounted, so I have no idea whether they're forward, centered, back or whatever. Maybe I should just keep it that way, as it seems like yet another thing to worry/obsess about.

FWIW, I'm built way more like a guy than a curvy woman.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@altagirl @volklgirl @BackCountryGirl
Have been thinking about this and did try the chair test.... I can do both - but took me 3xs to figure out the heels against the wall lift. DD (11) can do the head against wall; DH can't do either ;0

Backcountrygirl let me know how the 1cm forward works out :smile:

Total Off Track Side Note: This reminds me when standup paddling was "re-introduced" about 10 years ago. DH was one of the first to have the opportunity to try and said "its really hard" and your going to fall off the board a lot. Well I got on and paddled away, never fell off. Yep thanks to my lower center of gravity I (and most women) look like pros on a standup* while the top heavy guys keep falling off. ;)

(*SUPs are now primarily made for men- extra wide which gives them more float- however I see most women on too wide a board - which affects body alignment causing them to twist and bend too much and not acheive the sought after core work out- [I do not support SUP "surfing" but think its a great flat day workout] )

altagirl

Staff member
It's interesting too -I've been working on drop backs in yoga. Which are like torture and needless to say, I'm not a natural at this. And the reaction I get from teachers is - of course they're hard, but there are times where I just feel like the balance point some people recommend is not working for me, no matter how much core and legs I put into it, I'm not standing back up or controlling my descent.

And of course... now I'm realizing that my higher than average center of gravity is not exactly working in my favor to stand back up out of a backbend (or drop back slowly!) It's certainly not impossible - some of my favorite teachers are guys and they can do it, but it took them a long time to develop. And it's probably a combo of balance/strength plus the obvious flexibility.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Life would be a helluva lot easier if we applied this to everything, not just binding mount points. But I'm pretty sure we'd have to get past the point where men associate using women's equipment as being unmasculine (read: beneath them).

Although ... speaking of internalized prejudice ... I rode the lift with a guy recently whose skis looked ... wrong to me. I asked what they were - Black Pearls. Oh. They were rentals. I just changed the subject, but still wonder if he knew they were women's skis and made a choice based on their characteristics .. or if the shop guys (see, there I go! shop employees) intentionally put him on a women's ski because it fit his needs better, or if they just pawned it off on him because they figured he wouldn't know any better.

Funny---I rode the lift with a guy skiing Black Pearls this year too! I think they were rentals; I guess I kind of just assumed that's what they gave him, so he skied them.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Funny---I rode the lift with a guy skiing Black Pearls this year too! I think they were rentals; I guess I kind of just assumed that's what they gave him, so he skied them.

Someone posted on a different thread that the BP and some other Blizzard ski are the same except for lengths, anyway. Dunno if this is true.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna