• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Average price for binding mount???

altagirl

Staff member
I get it. I don't like to ride many "women's specific" surfboards or certain shapers boards. But by accident I was sent out on the demo 1.5cm "forward" which gave me a bit more tail to ride thru the turn...noticed the "forward mount" when I returned and then tried again a few days later with both factory and forward. [nice that they gave me two skis to try at same time :smile: ]. It was interesting for me to compare how 1.5cm can change the way the ski rides. I'm a long time "old school" skier returning after some years snowboarding and a few years off from an injury. For me its a certain feel I'm looking for - just found it interesting that tinkering with a centimeter changed the dynamic of the ski.

Makes me wonder if some of the demos I didn't like were because the demo center point was off LOL!

Totally agree, and I've had the same thought. And I realize that some people like them forward. My husband likes his bindings mounted forward. I absolutely hate it and feel like I can't get the ski to carve right. It's not a male/female thing, it's a style/personal preference thing. That's really my objection - binding mount point has a big effect, and you have to figure out what works for you, but it's a lot more complicated than what your gender is.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd rather have the shop do it than do it at home, just because they have the training and the practice. But I know a guy who snapped his achilles tendon in a fall, and a bad mount played into that. So as with anything else, handing something off doesn't necessarily mean it will be done right.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's not a male/female thing, it's a style/personal preference thing. That's really my objection - binding mount point has a big effect, and you have to figure out what works for you, but it's a lot more complicated than what your gender is.

Life would be a helluva lot easier if we applied this to everything, not just binding mount points. But I'm pretty sure we'd have to get past the point where men associate using women's equipment as being unmasculine (read: beneath them).

Although ... speaking of internalized prejudice ... I rode the lift with a guy recently whose skis looked ... wrong to me. I asked what they were - Black Pearls. Oh. They were rentals. I just changed the subject, but still wonder if he knew they were women's skis and made a choice based on their characteristics .. or if the shop guys (see, there I go! shop employees) intentionally put him on a women's ski because it fit his needs better, or if they just pawned it off on him because they figured he wouldn't know any better.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Agree that "what" equipment/setting is "optimal" for you is more than what gender you are. But I think the issue is that in any given sport, there maybe more of a "generalization" that 'such and such equipment' will work better for a man or a woman. I find this a lot in surf industry. At least in skiing there are so many more gear choices..... I guess knowing what you like and articulating it clearly so as to get rid of any perceived stereotype is the only way to ensure you get what you need.

Although ... speaking of internalized prejudice ... I rode the lift with a guy recently whose skis looked ... wrong to me. .
I'm sorry but I would have had to try to talk a bit more to figure out why he was riding the BPs LOL !!!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm sorry but I would have had to try to talk a bit more to figure out why he was riding the BPs LOL !!!

I didn't want to embarrass him if he didn't know ... and in fact I was in a larger group that included him, so I couldn't ask and run ...

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
bounceswoosh said:
I didn't want to embarrass him if he didn't know ... and in fact I was in a larger group that included him, so I couldn't ask and run ...

I think I would have done the "so how do you like those?" line of questioning if I had my wits about me, but whether the wits would have been about me or if I would have just been puzzled is a whole other issue!

Skibuilder

Certified Ski Diva
That's really my objection - binding mount point has a big effect, and you have to figure out what works for you, but it's a lot more complicated than what your gender is.

I was not trying to say everyone, has to follow the recommendation - it is very much a preference and I agree does get more complicated than gender. Generally speaking though, the anatomy of females makes your center of gravity different than males. Many of you may already know this, but a cool depiction of the difference is the chair test.

From a designers point of view the recommendation is based on where the ski should have the center of gravity applied to it, and anatomy is a good place to start. It is also worth noting, that most binding marks are offset back from center so that ball of foot actually falls center. What works on one pair doesn't mean it works on the next. The type of skiing you do also plays a role. I like my carving skis to be further forward to have more control of the tips.

Skibuilder

Certified Ski Diva
Although ... speaking of internalized prejudice ... I rode the lift with a guy recently whose skis looked ... wrong to me. I asked what they were - Black Pearls. Oh. They were rentals. I just changed the subject, but still wonder if he knew they were women's skis and made a choice based on their characteristics .. or if the shop guys (see, there I go! shop employees) intentionally put him on a women's ski because it fit his needs better, or if they just pawned it off on him because they figured he wouldn't know any better.

I know someone that painted over a topsheet of a pair of women's skis for his son. The skis were a much better construction and fit then he could get with a jr. ski or unisex ski. The son doesn't know, he thinks he has a custom model.

altagirl

Staff member
Interesting - I can do the second variation with no problem, but can't do the first one at all - I totally fall forward like the guys. And I have gigantic wide hips - I just also have gigantic wide shoulders....

Hah, I just went and tried like 6 more times. Angle #1 is totally not happening for me....

So I'm guessing this test is basically measuring center of gravity? - I'm a total hourglass with bust and hip measurements equal and my waist is 14" smaller than both. But if you measure my shoulders, they're another 5" bigger and I've got muscular shoulders and arms.

Edit: I realized I was cheating on the second variation and bringing my feet in closer to the wall, so my hips were behind my feet. If I get my hips right to a 90 degree angle, I can't lift up.

So yeah, I can't do either of them!

Last edited:

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
AFAIK the difference between many unisex and women's skis is only in graphics, description, and availability in longer length. Mounting points are the same.

altagirl

Staff member
That's totally fascinating, the more I think about it. I've always assumed I have a low center of gravity - I mean I have big hips and thick legs... and that's what they always say about women. I always figured the only exceptions to the low center of gravity thing would be women who have narrow hips and larger upper bodies, and that's not me, so I never even thought about it that my shoulders are cancelling that out...

altagirl

Staff member
AFAIK the difference between many unisex and women's skis is only in graphics, description, and availability in longer length. Mounting points are the same.

It totally depends on the manufacturer. Some change recommended mount point, weight, stiffness, flex pattern, etc. Women's skis are often lighter than the corresponding unisex ski - often they take out metal, use lighter wood, things like that to accomplish it and make something designed for someone who is typically smaller/lighter weight.

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
I know someone that painted over a topsheet of a pair of women's skis for his son. The skis were a much better construction and fit then he could get with a jr. ski or unisex ski. The son doesn't know, he thinks he has a custom model.
wait??? I can paint skis? OMG, just found a really cool use for that airbrush I've been itching to get. Anyone know about the how to's on this. I could make some sweet custom graphics!!!!

Hmmm....perhaps even trade mounting services with the local shop...

altagirl

Staff member
wait??? I can paint skis? OMG, just found a really cool use for that airbrush I've been itching to get. Anyone know about the how to's on this. I could make some sweet custom graphics!!!!

Hmmm....perhaps even trade mounting services with the local shop...

I know people who have done it, but it just chips off over time. I guess I should say I don't know of anyone who has done it WELL....

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
This is my circus. ( spent seven years as a mural artist/interior faux finisher). It would be the paint that they used. It would have to be a bake on enamel or air cured epoxy to not chip off. Why have I never thought of this before. Automobile paint would work really well....might have to rent the local auto body repair garage after hours.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've skied with bumpfreaq on epicski - he has custom painted both his skis and his helmet.

altagirl

Staff member
This is my circus. ( spent seven years as a mural artist/interior faux finisher). It would be the paint that they used. It would have to be a bake on enamel or air cured epoxy to not chip off. Why have I never thought of this before. Automobile paint would work really well....might have to rent the local auto body repair garage after hours.

Yeah, I'm sure it would take some sort of special paint- it not only has to withstand the elements and stick to the smooth plastic, but stay flexible so it doesn't crack when the skis flex. I'm sure there is something out there, but most of the people I've seen who have painted skis apparently did not find the right thing! :smile:

Skibuilder

Certified Ski Diva
This person did it well. After all, it withstood the abuse of a 12 year old boy for a season with minimal wear. I believe he used a plastic primer before painting it.

Many topsheets are screen-printed before the ski is pressed. The paint/ink used is meant for bonding well with the epoxy of the ski, and the plastic of the topsheet (normally treated for bonding). There are a few common topsheet plastics. I would imagine of these that nylon would be the easiest to bond to.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna