• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Average price for binding mount???

Skibuilder

Certified Ski Diva
Wow, looks like I am lucky when it comes to binding mounts. The shop tech that does all of our final base grinds before shipping out skis, also mounts our demo bindings so I get a deal, and a really good turn around time. But the normal price at the shop for a binding mount without a purchase is $25. I have been to other stores that have charged the $40.

Can you check with the mountain that you will be skiing at next?

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
Wow, looks like I am lucky when it comes to binding mounts. The shop tech that does all of our final base grinds before shipping out skis, also mounts our demo bindings so I get a deal, and a really good turn around time. But the normal price at the shop for a binding mount without a purchase is $25. I have been to other stores that have charged the $40.

Can you check with the mountain that you will be skiing at next?

I did. The person I spoke to quoted me $25, but he was far from sure about it. The people who would know better will be in tomorrow, so I'll call back and check. But if $25 is correct, I am SO going there to have them mounted!!!

abc

Banned
I got mine mounted, at Stowe village of all places, for $25!!! (other shops quoted $35)

I would hazard a guess the shops near the mountain are a lot less expensive.

They also turned around in a few hours!

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
On the mountain shop charges $40, not $25. Still a far cry better then $90!!! Hell, that will buy the lift ticket to ski while the new sticks are mounted!!!

Oh man, I can't wait for them to get here!!!

lisamamot

Angel Diva
In MA at the mountain a mount is $35, $40 for a remount (plugging holes, etc.), even if you buy the skis/bindings from them. At a ski shop about 20 minutes from the mountain they mount for free if you buy the binding from them, and they matched the mountain's 30% off price on the binding :-)

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
if you own a drill press and can do basic math, it's free at home. Haven't paid to mount a binding in years. There is a center mark on the ski, and you diligently measure from there, mark your holes, set the depth on the drill press and drill.

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
if you own a drill press and can do basic math, it's free at home. Haven't paid to mount a binding in years. There is a center mark on the ski, and you diligently measure from there, mark your holes, set the depth on the drill press and drill.

Sadly, I do not own a drill press. I'm sure DH is more broken up about that then I. My current devious plot is to get DH into skiing so that he will want to do this stuff for us (me.)

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
Sadly, I do not own a drill press. I'm sure DH is more broken up about that then I. My current devious plot is to get DH into skiing so that he will want to do this stuff for us (me.)
Perhaps DH needs one for a gift? They are less than $100 for a decent workbench model, it would save a lot of money in the long run if he learned to do it for you regardless of his skiing interest. But you could also learn to use it. I use it on kid's school projects, to put a new hole in a leather belt or shoes, all kinds of things. Ladies, most contractors operate with employees that barely have their GED, and from what I read here, you all are really smart cookies.

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
Now all I would need is a place to put it….

Jilly

Staff member
I own 2 drill presses and WOULD NEVER use them on skis. If you drill too deep the ski is screwed!! The jigs I mentioned have a safety on them so you don't do that. The shop uses only battery powered drills.

And do you know how to set up forward pressures??? Been trained on bindings? It's not just drilling some holes.

Skibuilder

Certified Ski Diva
I have a mill/drill. A depth stop does the same thing as the jig to keep from drilling too deep. I am more concerned about correctly setting up the drill points so that the holes are located center. The jig always aligns your ski so that the binding is centered and strait on your ski. A paper template twisted slightly may or may not be noticeable skiing. While I am capable of locating the holes, I prefer the accuracy of the jig method. Plus I like the tech's advice in shifting the binding mount from the manufacturer's center mark, which is located differently from ski to ski. Normally a female's binding should be mounted further forward than a males due to a lower rearward center of gravity.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
$45 at Kittridge in Mammoth. But I found out the guys get paid seperately from the retail shop .... as far as the tunes we give $ for a tip and now that I know what my favorote tech drinks probably a six pack, but I can see how some nice food treats would be appreciated :smile:

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Normally a female's binding should be mounted further forward than a males due to a lower rearward center of gravity.
Excellent point about center factory mount or mounting forward (or back if you please) as I agonize "where" to mount my new sambas after accidentally demoing at 1.5 forward and then demoing at factory ...... as I understand most female skis take this into account and center would be female specific on a female ski ...... I can relate to this on my surfboard for fin selection and tailpad placement change the way a surfboard rides ..... just thought I would not have to make just as many decisions on my skis !!!!:doh:

Skibuilder

Certified Ski Diva
as I understand most female skis take this into account and center would be female specific on a female ski ......

That is true.

I can relate to this on my surfboard for fin selection and tailpad placement change the way a surfboard rides ..... just thought I would not have to make just as many decisions on my skis !!!!:doh:

There are some adjustments in bindings for fine tuning the location forward/rearward. Of course some bindings are better at it then others.

altagirl

Staff member
I own 2 drill presses and WOULD NEVER use them on skis. If you drill too deep the ski is screwed!! The jigs I mentioned have a safety on them so you don't do that. The shop uses only battery powered drills.

And do you know how to set up forward pressures??? Been trained on bindings? It's not just drilling some holes.

I'm with you. We have a drill press as well, but honestly I wouldn't do it without a jig. We've borrowed one from a shop before , but even with that, you just use a handheld drill with the jig.

DH knows how to set up forward pressures and was trained on it, but even with that, we usually take them to a shop.

The NICEST thing is that if they get messed up - bases bubble up from drilling too deep, something like that - you tell the shop they owe you new skis. You did it yourself? Too bad!

altagirl

Staff member
And I really, really hate the common recommendation that women's skis should be mounted more forward. I know you hear it all the time, but I can't stand skis mounted like that. Even when I'm on women's specific skis, I make sure they mount them at a normal unisex mounting point, not the "women's" forward mounting point. Which may be impossible with some skis, I guess, but isn't really an issue with my Black Diamond skis when I get them mounted at the Black Diamond store. They know what I'm talking about.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Decades ago, we were DIY. No more.
Ski shop here is top notch. Last mounting (Tuesday!) was $20. (Didn't buy either skis or bindings there, either)
Love them. :love:

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
drill presses have a stop on them as well, you can't drill too deep either.
Yes, hence the simple math calculations, you set your own points based on how you like your bindings mounted, AND according to manufacturer of the skis and the bindings. most of the people here in the shops are teenagers trained to do it, and since DH is an Director of IT type nerd, I trust ourselves more, that we have done them correctly.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That is true.
There are some adjustments in bindings for fine tuning the location forward/rearward. Of course some bindings are better at it then others.

Thanks, wonder which are better.... just learning about the latest technology and fact that I was thinking maybe new boots/ probably same size but different BSL etc.... (snowboard is much easier to self adjust).

And I really, really hate the common recommendation that women's skis should be mounted more forward.
I get it. I don't like to ride many "women's specific" surfboards or certain shapers boards. But by accident I was sent out on the demo 1.5cm "forward" which gave me a bit more tail to ride thru the turn...noticed the "forward mount" when I returned and then tried again a few days later with both factory and forward. [nice that they gave me two skis to try at same time :smile: ]. It was interesting for me to compare how 1.5cm can change the way the ski rides. I'm a long time "old school" skier returning after some years snowboarding and a few years off from an injury. For me its a certain feel I'm looking for - just found it interesting that tinkering with a centimeter changed the dynamic of the ski.

Makes me wonder if some of the demos I didn't like were because the demo center point was off LOL!

altagirl

Staff member
drill presses have a stop on them as well, you can't drill too deep either.

I've had skis professionally mounted and the bases still bubbled - why? Because the skis and bindings turned out to be not quite compatible - the skis were thinner than most, the bindings had screws just a hair longer than most (though it was all technically compatible - or, you know, SUPPOSED to be compatible) and voila - damaged bases. The shop sent them back to the manufacturer and got me new skis, because they could prove it was done right with the jig. I doubt I'd have had any such luck arguing that with the ski manufacturer if we had mounted them at home in the garage, even if it was done correctly.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna