• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Any ideas for boot bag for airline travel?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
This is the type I use as well, and I use them for all trips. Less likely to get opened if bags are searched at the airport, and if your suitcase gets wet on the Tarmac, the contents stay dry.
Same kind as me.. Just need to find them

heather matthews

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've just looked at United airlines site and it looks like my boot bag doesn't fit their size requirements.It will with a compression strap.Has anyone had any trouble with boots on United on an internal US flight?

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've just looked at United airlines site and it looks like my boot bag doesn't fit their size requirements.It will with a compression strap.Has anyone had any trouble with boots on United on an internal US flight?
I've never had trouble with a carry-on, on a domestic flight and none of mine strictly fit the criteria.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used the Dakine 50l Boot Pack last year on Norwegian (JFK-Oslo and Oslo-Berlin Schönefeld) as my personal item and no one even looked twice at it. It was NOT packed full and bulging, just comfortably squishy, and it fit fine under the seat. I also had a international size Polycarbonate spinner that went in the overhead bin. Norwegian is usually very strict about luggage, but they offered to put my spinner in cargo as a second piece at no cost if I wanted it.

I'm flying Delta/KLM this year JFK-Amsterdam with the same bags. If they give me any hassle, the boots are going on my feet and the helmet on my head to get on the plane. I'll look like a fool in the terminal, but I won't check my boots.

My checked luggage took a 4 day detour in Atlanta last week when I attended my sister-in-law's funeral. I had clothing in my carry-on and I managed to even dress up for the funeral with only buying a top and pair of dress shoes. I will NEVER travel without basic essentials in a carry-on. Skiing or otherwise.

I must check a bag for skiing Europe this year, too many non-ski days and too many ski items for my carry-on. I wish I could get it down to just carry-on. Call me Mrs. Badpacker.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I've never had trouble with a carry-on, on a domestic flight and none of mine strictly fit the criteria.
Some airlines are more strict than others.. It's usually doesn't occur when I leave from San Francisco .. It's once I'm over there and flying say from London to Geneva .. I'm in Tahoe now and looking at boot bags but most likely will order the recommended sportube over header that was suggested and does fit hand luggage requirements..

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One other thought, if you put your helmet in your checked suitcase, stuffing things in and around it, you could carry more soft, lighter weight things in your backpack with your boots. It will be squishier and less of a problem for the airlines. I would consider renting a helmet if my bag were lost, but I want my boots with me in the carry on.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
One other thought, if you put your helmet in your checked suitcase, stuffing things in and around it, you could carry more soft, lighter weight things in your backpack with your boots. It will be squishier and less of a problem for the airlines. I would consider renting a helmet if my bag were lost, but I want my boots with me in the carry on.
Helmet doesn't fit inside sportube. Took a better look and has outside pocket that would exceed requirements so would pack with checked luggage.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got Transpack Sidekick Pro this summer. I flew into SLC and out of Aspen with it with no problems a few weeks ago. The plane out of Aspen was small, with small overhead bins (roller carry-on size suitcases were not allowed on that plane). Boots and helmet are outside, yes, but the advantage of that is they are very easy to take out and fit into any size overhead bin which is what I did flying out of Aspen and every thing fit well. For bigger plane I only had to take out the helmet, for small plane out of Aspen boots and helmet had to be taken out. Top of the boots can be covered with attached covers. I put a laptop, insulated ski pants, goggles and a change of underwear into Transpack Sidekick - that way I have a full outfit for skiing with ski jacket being on me as my jacket. It was a bit heavy but not too bad for me.

I would agree with what was said above about Transpack Sidekick for air travel. I used to fly with Dakine 50L boot pack, some straps broke on it last year so I bought Transpack Sidekick. I would say I prefer Transpack Sidekick so far to the Dakine boot pack. The Sportube overheader looks good too. Looks like the helmet will be easy to detach in that one too if need be.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
@santacruz skier , if you don't need a bonafide boot bag, try this:

https://www.patagonia.com/product/l...luggage-black-hole-bags#tile-3=&start=1&sz=24

The bag fits in any overhead bin that I've used when traveling (including international) and will fit ski boots and essentials. It is also a backpack.

I have a Transpack heated boot bag that is relatively small, fits most overhead requirements, but may not work for BA. I need the heated bag to get my boots on! If I didn't need that, I'd just use my Patagonia black hole duffel.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
@santacruz skier , if you don't need a bonafide boot bag, try this:

https://www.patagonia.com/product/l...luggage-black-hole-bags#tile-3=&start=1&sz=24

The bag fits in any overhead bin that I've used when traveling (including international) and will fit ski boots and essentials. It is also a backpack.

I have a Transpack heated boot bag that is relatively small, fits most overhead requirements, but may not work for BA. I need the heated bag to get my boots on! If I didn't need that, I'd just use my Patagonia black hole duffel.
I looked at the Patagonia 30 L but thought it might be too small.. I just found another prospect .,Brand is Line 40L and meets BA requirements... I'm in Tahoe and looking at options!

vanhoskier

Angel Diva

elemmac

Angel Diva
I looked at the Patagonia 30 L but thought it might be too small.. I just found another prospect .,Brand is Line 40L and meets BA requirements... I'm in Tahoe and looking at options!

DH just picked up one of these for our trip to Austria...https://armadaskis.com/product/ritter-duffle/. They at least claim that it meets TSA requirements and he flew with it for a work trip a couple weeks ago, and it worked out great as a carry-on.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love it but need a backpack as carrying two rolling bags..

Last year, I had to carry a very large checked spinner piece plus a spinner carry-on plus the Dakine boot bag. I feel your pain.

I piggy-backed the two rollers for ease of walking. The biggest piece was on the bottom. I connected the second piece to the first piece with a Travelon Multi-bag stacker. https://www.amazon.com/Travelon-4234-Multi-Bag-Stacker/dp/B001CZP2EQ

Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 9.44.31 PM.png

The most important thing is another webbing strap through the handles to hold the middle of the two bags together. I found that going over curbs and the rough streets were too much and the top bag kept sliding off. With the webbing strap, the suitcases were like one piece and much easier to wheel around. I sometimes put my backpack on the top with another webbing strap.

If the Travelon device won't work with the snowboard bag, bring a few extra webbing straps in your carry-on for connecting the bags together, holding your backpack, and carrying your coats as easily as possible.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Great idea! Other than air travel, we will be taking trains from Vienna to kitzbuehl, kitzbuehl to Salzburg, Salzburg to Zurich and then on to champery , Switzerland .. I have done this or something similar at least this a half dozen times and it's always brutal.. Have put boots in checked luggage , boot bags, snowboard bag... And then running for trains up and down ramps...just went to Patagonia here in Tahoe and looked again...

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Just got back from Patagonia and looked at 45 L black hole.. No proper back pack straps (just two straps). I love it and would use it again but really think I need a boot bag.. Mine you I have one that won't work... Airlines are so strict now. BTW I'm beat after 7 days in a row skiing with 4 more to go. Everything hurts.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I love it but need a backpack as carrying two rolling bags..
It is a backpack!! I use mine primarily as a backpack. It has dedicated backpack straps. Perhaps you were looking at the lightweight version, which does not have dedicated straps? Look at the regular Black Hole version...it's constructed of a much more durable (and water resisitant) material with padded backpack straps.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
It is a backpack!! I use mine primarily as a backpack. It has dedicated backpack straps. Perhaps you were looking at the lightweight version, which does not have dedicated straps? Look at the regular Black Hole version...it's constructed of a much more durable (and water resisitant) material with padded backpack straps.
It was the lightweight version I was looking at. I'll have to check out the regular one at Patagonia when I get home. Thanks

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga