• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Any ideas for boot bag for airline travel?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I'll be flying British Airways next month for European ski trip.... I'm on the fence about a carry on.. I have a small boot bag (Salomon) that meets the hand luggage requirements and is very tiny, but would like to put my helmet in bag plus a few essentials as well. BA is very strict - you are not allowed to put boots in with skis... I have a snowboard bag and have packed boots and ski jackets and pants in the same bag for several trips on British Airways, but the website and customer service rep said it's no longer okay to do that. So any ideas for either a backpack or bootbag backpack that will not exceed strict measurements of 22"x18"x10"? I have been eyeballing a patagonia backpack duffel that is close to the minimum measurements. Well actually over by an inch or so. Also I can't decide whether to bring my skis (in which case I can stick jackets & pants in)... BA website says only skis and poles but would try to get away with more. This trip is about 3 1/2 weeks and lots of train travel so dragging stuff around is always a challenge. Ideas?

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
I have the Athalon backpack/ski boot bag. It fits my helmet, mittens, base layer, pants, and jacket in the middle and a boot on each side pocket. I flew on American to diva west last year and they counted them as one, the ski bag and one boot bag. Their policy was that it was all "equipment" needed. So I guess BA is just being a PIA??

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I have the Athalon backpack/ski boot bag. It fits my helmet, mittens, base layer, pants, and jacket in the middle and a boot on each side pocket. I flew on American to diva west last year and they counted them as one, the ski bag and one boot bag. Their policy was that it was all "equipment" needed. So I guess BA is just being a PIA??
Yep, they count boot bag and ski bag as two extra bags @ $100 each... And that's each way....so I was hoping to find a boot bag that meets the hand luggage requirements that fits my helmet and some other items....

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
There are other threads on this topic so search around the site. However, if you need to handle the luggage a lot on trains, I'd consider a Transpack backpack to keep your hands free for other bags. And you could use it as a carry on if you wanted - or at least I have. At times I have taken out my boots to fit the bag into the overhead bin.

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There are other threads on this topic so search around the site. However, if you need to handle the luggage a lot on trains, I'd consider a Transpack backpack to keep your hands free for other bags. And you could use it as a carry on if you wanted - or at least I have. At times I have taken out my boots to fit the bag into the overhead bin.

I don't like the trapezoidal bags for air travel, I find them a little harder to get in the overhead. Ironically enough, my recently purchased $119 Athalon Heated Boot Bag from ebags.com is my favorite travel boot bag. If the sides are not loaded up it fits under the seat in front of me. On my most recent trip it held my helmet, boots, & softgoods & was shoveable under the seat in front of me.

Carrying the trapezoidal bag on my back is easier as I find the weight distribution to be more comfortable for walking longer distances so it may be that you just have to decide which feature is most important to you when. I hate being forccd to use the overhead or worrying about whether my bag will fit or will they force me to check it.

The trapezoidal bag is also easier to carry on top of a rolling suitcase.

heather matthews

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a DaKine boot bag that meets the carry on standards and can get gloves,goggles,boots,pants and a beany in there.I'm flying Air NZ next week who only give me 23kgs single item checked allowance so my skis,clothes etc all go into a snowboard bag.Normally I'd use a Sportube and a separate bag but Air NZ want $200nz each way to the states if I want the extra bag.So its creative packing. @santacruz skier it really sounds like they are being a pita. grrrr...!

jellyflake

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I always carry my boots as hand luggage in addition to my normal (ski-)backpack and never had any problems with it. I can - if needed - attach the boots to the backpack but try to avoid that.
Boots + backpack would fit under the seat in front of me or of course into the overhead.

In case they start to argue I am willing to offer to put on the ski boots and to put my sneakers into the backpack ;)

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
Yep, they count boot bag and ski bag as two extra bags @ $100 each... And that's each way....so I was hoping to find a boot bag that meets the hand luggage requirements that fits my helmet and some other items....
well that just stinks. Mine measures 18 x 18 x 16 when stuffed with everything. https://www.amazon.com/Athalon-ALN-04-Everything-Boot-Pack/dp/B001ASBV9A And it's a dream for to/fro the hill. Not sure about in an overhead, maybe if it's not packed too full? but it's nicely balanced on my back for other travel. I would think it would fit under the seat, if the middle weren't stuffed too full, on its side.

Mary Tee

Angel Diva
I brought my boots and helmet to a luggage store and asked the clerk for the largest allowable carry on they had. I managed to fit boots, helmet, mittens, socks etc in a normal wheeled carry on. I had one airline tell me it was too big, but I stood my ground and the flight attendant relented with "if you can get it in the overhead, you can keep it" and of course I did!

elemmac

Angel Diva
Yep, they count boot bag and ski bag as two extra bags @ $100 each... And that's each way.

Another thing to consider...they'll probably just charge you the "oversized baggage fee" if you're over the size restriction with more than just skis in the bag, whereas they'll wave the oversize charge if you just have skis in it. So is the oversize baggage fee more expensive than having two bags?

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'll be flying British Airways next month for European ski trip.... I'm on the fence about a carry on.. I have a small boot bag (Salomon) that meets the hand luggage requirements and is very tiny, but would like to put my helmet in bag plus a few essentials as well. BA is very strict - you are not allowed to put boots in with skis... I have a snowboard bag and have packed boots and ski jackets and pants in the same bag for several trips on British Airways, but the website and customer service rep said it's no longer okay to do that. So any ideas for either a backpack or bootbag backpack that will not exceed strict measurements of 22"x18"x10"? I have been eyeballing a patagonia backpack duffel that is close to the minimum measurements. Well actually over by an inch or so. Also I can't decide whether to bring my skis (in which case I can stick jackets & pants in)... BA website says only skis and poles but would try to get away with more. This trip is about 3 1/2 weeks and lots of train travel so dragging stuff around is always a challenge. Ideas?
I've been happy with a Transpack Sidekick for quite a while. But can be heavy with boots, helmet, and laptop are all in it, along with ski wear basics on the flight out in case my luggage is slow in getting to the destination. I like the fact that it's easy to take out the boots when boarding, which I usually put up in the overhead. Then the pack and helmet fit under the seat pretty easily. If I don't need anything except a book from the pack, then I leave the boots down and put the pack up, with or without the helmet depending on the size of the overhead.

Without boots and helmet, it's possible to use the Sidekick as a standard backpack for days when not skiing during a vacation.

Blondeinabmw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My husband has a Swix Kerry boot bag that carries like a backpack. Its a great size and more functional than the transpack's triangle shape.
Do you have a Costco membership? Costco has a High Sierra rolling duffel for like $40 that I was looking at the other day that might be great for your needs.
I think if I were in your situation, I might just pack my boots and helmet in my small carry on sized roll aboard suitcase by Travelpro and hope for the best. I've been known to do that on (non-ski) trips before and gate check it, which allows me to avoid the checked bag fees and overages.

Christy

Angel Diva
I have been eyeballing a patagonia backpack duffel that is close to the minimum measurements. Well actually over by an inch or so.

One thing I learned when luggage shopping recently--the measurements on the tag are not usually correct. They usually under-measure so to make it appear that it meets carry on rules when it's a little bigger. Also, don't trust anything that says it meets carry on size restrictions--bring a tape measure and verify this yourself. A lot of people of course do get away with bringing on bigger bags than they are supposed to, but if you want to make sure a gate agent doesn't stop you you should measure before buying.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Wow...Thanks for all the great suggestions.... As far as size, if it's greater than 22 x 18x 10 I have to check it in.... So first bag is free (my extra large Burton rolling bag - boots could fit in there and yes overweight is cheaper than another extra bag). 2nd bag is my rolling snowboard bag for $100 each leg (my boots and some ski stuff would fit in there but I'm told I can't do that - only skis and poles) If my carry on or bootbag is within hand luggage limits, then I can do that. This is why I'm searching for a bag that will fit boots, helmet and other gear. The trapezoid bags are too big as is the Athalon bag. If exceeds the hand luggage requirements, 2nd extra bag is another $180 each leg.... Granted I got a good deal on my flight ($647 San Jose to London and Geneva back to San Jose) ..... I have traveled with skis to Europe several times and last time (3 years ago) I got hassled by British Airways b/c they made me open my snowboard bag and voila! there were boots and ski clothes in the bag. One thing I didn't mention is that I'm spending 4 days in London and 2 in Vienna, and 1 in Salzburg so not only bringing ski clothes...

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Oh and since I already have two rolling bags (snowboard bag and big roller), I prefer a backpack b/c how am I going to go from train to train with 3 rolling bags?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Transpack exceeds maximum allowance for hand luggage. Darn.

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
Transpack exceeds maximum allowance for hand luggage. Darn.

That should not be an issue as it is a soft bag. You can carry on a huge duffel if it is empty and you can collapse it down to the required size. Therefore, if you are challenged, the Transpack can be squished it into the "size tester" by removing the boots. Technically, if really challenged, you could put on the helmet and the boots as "clothing" if and when they do the size check. Really. My brother once put on his motorcycle helmet to prove this point.

I understand if one does not want to challenge the system in this way, but know that one could...I have used it as a carry on with no issue.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
That should not be an issue as it is a soft bag. You can carry on a huge duffel if it is empty and you can collapse it down to the required size. Therefore, if you are challenged, the Transpack can be squished it into the "size tester" by removing the boots. Technically, if really challenged, you could put on the helmet and the boots as "clothing" if and when they do the size check. Really. My brother once put on his motorcycle helmet to prove this point.

I understand if one does not want to challenge the system in this way, but know that one could...I have used it as a carry on with no issue.
I have done more than a half dozen ski trips to Europe and only the last time was challenged by British Airways as had my ski boots and some clothing in my snowboard bag. Recently I looked at the website and called BA and was told no ski boots in the same bag as skis. What do they care? Especially if meets the weight requirement. I do understand squishing a bag... I have a small boot bag but thought I would like a bigger one that would fit my helmet and some "carry on" items as well. I'll look at the transpack again... Maybe was looking at the trapezoid one which clearly exceeds the measurements allowed.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna