• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Advice for Road Bike Size for Petite Woman

luliski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One thing I remembered today, when I got caught in an unexpected hailstorm while out on a ride: I would really like disc brakes on my next road bike. Since you live in a hilly area, @santacruz skier, they would probably be good for you, and from what I've seen, they're becoming the new standard for road bikes.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Looks like this bike might work.
https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/P...aspx?nid=8506cef7-0581-4e08-8f4e-16951ab30eea
650B wheels are the perfect size, I ride 650c's, narrower rims. Small women's road bikes now have 700c wheels. IMHO smaller wheels look more proportional on small frames. I used to get beat to death on aluminum frames on rough roads. They claim wider rims on the wheelsets solves the problem.

If you think you may want disc brakes buy a bike with them. My bike shop suggested I retrofit my mtn bike with disc brakes. The frame was designed so that I could do it but the cost of new wheels and hub vs. the amount of time I ride the bike just didn't make the investment worth it.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Looks like this bike might work.
https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/P...aspx?nid=8506cef7-0581-4e08-8f4e-16951ab30eea
650B wheels are the perfect size, I ride 650c's, narrower rims. Small women's road bikes now have 700c wheels. IMHO smaller wheels look more proportional on small frames. I used to get beat to death on aluminum frames on rough roads. They claim wider rims on the wheelsets solves the problem.

If you think you may want disc brakes buy a bike with them. My bike shop suggested I retrofit my mtn bike with disc brakes. The frame was designed so that I could do it but the cost of new wheels and hub vs. the amount of time I ride the bike just didn't make the investment worth it.
Exactly which bike are you referring to? And yes I probably do want disc brakes.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was looking at the Cannondale Slate Women's bike, didn't look at price $1999. You may have to pay a higher price for quality disc brakes. Giant also makes a woman's frame with disc brakes.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I was looking at the Cannondale Slate Women's bike, didn't look at price $1999. You may have to pay a higher price for quality disc brakes. Giant also makes a woman's frame with disc brakes.
I like it!!!!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Is that front tire outside of the fork? Weird.
C17_C15407M_BLC_4.ashx

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
It's lame though that the women's Slate is only available with the lowest level components: SRAM Apex. However, I have Apex components on my bike and they're fine. I wonder if you could get the Ultegra groupset on the women's bike?

Will talk to local bike shop.. I'm still on the fence about it anyhow...

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Stopped at local bike shop, Spokesman, and talked to owner Wade for about an half hour. We set up a "fit sizing" for Saturday for starts. Looked at a Specialized Ruby in the price range I'm looking at and the amount of riding I would actually do. (<$2k).... or thereabouts. Everything depends on fit. Once we get the sizing, then we know what my options are and the actual "fit" comes next.

Thanks for all the suggestions @Little Lightning , @luliski .

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Also, I was informed disc brakes are probably not necessary for the kind of riding I will do and add weight to the bike. We'll see as I kind of want a bike for recreational use, not racing or 100 km rides. (what at $2k?) but lightweight.....

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I've gone bike shopping with a petite friend, after testing many bikes, she bought the Specialized Ruby because it fit her the best with the downward sloping top tube.
I was looking at one today!!! It is on sale for $1440 or they can special order for $1800.... we'll see after bike sizing fit..

luliski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Also, I was informed disc brakes are probably not necessary for the kind of riding I will do and add weight to the bike. We'll see as I kind of want a bike for recreational use, not racing or 100 km rides. (what at $2k?) but lightweight.....
I wonder how much weight they add? I've clocked in at 49 mph on a descent on my road bike; I would like disc brakes, although I'm not sure what happens if you "lock 'em up " at that speed.

luliski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Stopped at local bike shop, Spokesman, and talked to owner Wade for about an half hour. We set up a "fit sizing" for Saturday for starts. Looked at a Specialized Ruby in the price range I'm looking at and the amount of riding I would actually do. (<$2k).... or thereabouts. Everything depends on fit. Once we get the sizing, then we know what my options are and the actual "fit" comes next.

Thanks for all the suggestions @Little Lightning , @luliski .
How exciting! Keep us posted!

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I picked up my bike yesterday and got a 30 minute ride in to test it out. Temps were in the mid 90's and I had already worked out with my trainer.

Here are my impressions so far. New handlebars bring my reach to the shifters and brakes closer resulting in better reach. I have 5 year old size hands so reach has always been a problem for me. Control of the bike feels better. Probably due to arms not stretched out as far.

The shorter crankarms are awesome. I have more power on the down stroke with less effort. My knees don't come up as high which means more efficient pedaling. Can't wait to try them on hills.

The larger shoes put my foot in the proper position over the pedals giving me more leverage and taking pressure off the metatarsals. I'm hoping this also resolves the pain in the ankle due to the peroneal issues I've had.

Some takeaways from talking to the fitter and the mechanics. Best brand of components for best fit for small women is Shimano. The fitter says this company has done the best job of all companies to make components adjustable for small riders. Not having to mix and match after market components to get the fit a small rider needs enables the drive train to run smoother.

The mechanics thought that disc brakes for small riders is over kill and not necessary. No. 1 concern was the ability of someone with smaller hands to reach the brakes. Even men with smaller hands have this issue. They also felt a smaller rider doesn't need all that power to stop. One of them asked me if there was ever a time when my brakes didn't stop me. I answered "not ever". Even in rain I've had no issues with my brakes stopping me. Also, there is the weight issue. I'd rather spend the money on a hand built wheelset to reduce weight but that's a conversation for another day.

I really liked this bike shop. They advertise as a women's only tri-athlete shop which is why I hadn't worked with them in the past. The mechanics didn't ignore me. They took the time to show me why my shifter needed to be rebuilt by showing me the defective parts. They researched the possibility of making changes to my old Aegis carbon bike. I felt comfortable asking about 650B wheels and their advantages. No one asked to help take my bike to the car like the other shop did.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
@Little Lightning thanks so much for the great information. Appreciate all the feedback on components, disc brakes, etc. Curious about your larger shoes - how do they feel wearing them? Like a pair of shoes that are too long? I realize you are only wearing them when riding your bike but still.. What kind of pedals do you have? Wade from Spokesman was telling me that most bike shops set them too high and release can be an issue for lighter weights. I'm going to see him today at 12:30 for sizing only (not fit)... But last night I twisted my knee while doing something stupid like peeking out my back slider and looking at the horizon... This is the knee with the avulsion tear to ACL and flap tear meniscus... Icing and wearing a stretchy brace today. I have been religiously rehabbing for 3 months now and it was feeling great. PT released me, ortho said no surgery needed. Hope this is a minor setback..

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hopefully, it's minor. I've gone through a lot with my hip and ankle. Last week I worked out on Wed. morning, had a massage in the evening. Next day my low back started aching. Ok working out on Fri. Sat my entire low back hurt enough to take ibuprofen. Better on Sun. but thought I shouldn't deadlift on Monday. Did lift on Monday, back is fine. Who knows what was going on.

The larger shoes were due to having a wider forefoot. They don't feel bad at all and my foot feels less scrunched. I use an insert called E-Soles, I don't think they are available anymore, they were designed for cycling. The arch support fits a lot better. Surprisingly, the heel fits well too. My foot has room to spread. One of the fit recommendations of Sidi shoes is that the Velcro straps should attach fully across the top of the foot. On my 37's the straps went half way. Sidi's also have slits on the tongue that can be cut in case the tongue digs into the ankle joint. That was part of my issue with other brands. They also seemed too tight across my instep. Going to a size 40 definitely was too large. The fitter might have used a formula based on the width of my forefoot and length of my foot. He thought a minute and came up with size 39 in any brand.

I've used Speedplay pedals since their inception. This year I upgraded to the Speedplay Ultra Lite Action pedal with walkable cleats. Love them. No more hassle with cleat covers. They have plugs for walking in dirt and mud. Great way to keep cleats clean when we're on tour. The float is less than with the original Speedplays. The cleats have fore/aft, side to side adjustments. The springs are a little tight but there is no adjustment on them. I read a review that stated that women with small feet like them because they are easier to release. Clicking in is still a problem on the left but I think that due to the ankle issue not the cleat.

I can;t wait to see what your fitting comes up with. Have fun. I had my custom frame fitted right after ACL surgery so don't worry about your knee.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hopefully, it's minor. I've gone through a lot with my hip and ankle. Last week I worked out on Wed. morning, had a massage in the evening. Next day my low back started aching. Ok working out on Fri. Sat my entire low back hurt enough to take ibuprofen. Better on Sun. but thought I shouldn't deadlift on Monday. Did lift on Monday, back is fine. Who knows what was going on.

The larger shoes were due to having a wider forefoot. They don't feel bad at all and my foot feels less scrunched. I use an insert called E-Soles, I don't think they are available anymore, they were designed for cycling. The arch support fits a lot better. Surprisingly, the heel fits well too. My foot has room to spread. One of the fit recommendations of Sidi shoes is that the Velcro straps should attach fully across the top of the foot. On my 37's the straps went half way. Sidi's also have slits on the tongue that can be cut in case the tongue digs into the ankle joint. That was part of my issue with other brands. They also seemed too tight across my instep. Going to a size 40 definitely was too large. The fitter might have used a formula based on the width of my forefoot and length of my foot. He thought a minute and came up with size 39 in any brand.

I've used Speedplay pedals since their inception. This year I upgraded to the Speedplay Ultra Lite Action pedal with walkable cleats. Love them. No more hassle with cleat covers. They have plugs for walking in dirt and mud. Great way to keep cleats clean when we're on tour. The float is less than with the original Speedplays. The cleats have fore/aft, side to side adjustments. The springs are a little tight but there is no adjustment on them. I read a review that stated that women with small feet like them because they are easier to release. Clicking in is still a problem on the left but I think that due to the ankle issue not the cleat.

I can;t wait to see what your fitting comes up with. Have fun. I had my custom frame fitted right after ACL surgery so don't worry about your knee.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got the Lite Actions in stainless steel. They are rebuildable but I've not had to have that done on my older pedals. They have 7 degrees of float. Fitter didn't have any objections to them.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Spent about an hour and a half at Spokesman. We did a thorough sizing and Wade came up with the following:

61 cm
Sb -3
Rch 59
Drop +5/-0
Size 44cm Ruby SL Sport

I'm thinking about this bike...

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/women/bikes/road/performance/ruby-sl4-sport-rim-brake/118386

Also there are many more expensive models as well as cheaper ones. This was in my price range... Another model that was $300 cheaper is called the Ruby SL4. Not a huge difference between the Ruby SL4 and the Ruby SL4 Sport.

I didn't make any decisions today but we'll see....

Thanks again for all the information.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did a quick comparison between the 2 bikes. The differences in the 2 bikes would be 11 speed vs. 10 speed and Shimano 105 components vs. Tiagra components. 11 speed appears to be the current industry standard. 10 speed was high end 11 years ago when I built my bike.

Shimano 105 components are probably lighter in weight and more durable than Tiagra. We used advise friends in the market for a bike not to go lower than 105 components. The lineup of Shimano components are Dura Ace, Ultrega, Shimano 105, Tiagra, Sora and Claris. Shimano 105 is right in the middle between high end and low end.

Sounds like you're headed in the right direction and can now make some good decisions.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna