• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Advice for Road Bike Size for Petite Woman

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did a quick comparison between the 2 bikes. The differences in the 2 bikes would be 11 speed vs. 10 speed and Shimano 105 components vs. Tiagra components. 11 speed appears to be the current industry standard. 10 speed was high end 11 years ago when I built my bike.

Shimano 105 components are probably lighter in weight and more durable than Tiagra. We used advise friends in the market for a bike not to go lower than 105 components. The lineup of Shimano components are Dura Ace, Ultrega, Shimano 105, Tiagra, Sora and Claris. Shimano 105 is right in the middle between high end and low end.

Sounds like you're headed in the right direction and can now make some good decisions.

Here's a discussion of Shimano components. Scroll through the comments section for a 2016 review of the different versions of components. https://www.evanscycles.com/coffeestop/advice/shimano-road-groupsets-the-hierarchy

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
This is awesome information @Little Lightning ..... I told Wade I would make a decision in the next 2 weeks...... Will probably go for the higher end of the two.....thank you again! I'll let you know when I order it.... not many colors left in a size 44..... so either black w/ red or white w/ black.... I'm leaning towards white w/ black.... BF likes black w/ red.
I'm excited but need to find a place to put new bike.... Storage is limited at my beach condo w/o a garage.... Oh btw, Wade really liked my Voodoo (I rode it there) and said don't ever get rid of it... Then said he could use that frame and get a very cool bike built up for me... Um no, I'm just going to leave it as is.....

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I keep my road bike in my bedroom despite having a garage!
hmm trying to avoid that....... think i may have room in outside storage.... if i move things around.
Glorious day at the beach now!

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
@santacruz skier , nice choice in a road bike in the Ruby. I used to work in a bike shop, and race, and Specialized has done a good job of building bikes for smaller women for awhile now.

Go for the bike with the better components. You will appreciate that in the long run. Upgrading components is expensive if you choose to do so later on. Shimano 105 components will last a good long time. My first "good" road bike had 105, and they never failed me after thousands of miles.

I also want to make a generalized statement for women about sizing bikes: It's not just your height and your reach that is important in choosing a frame size: it is also your inseam and your torso height. I'm am tall, so don't need a women's frame. Since my torso is long compared to my inseam, I need a bike with a longer top tube, or a longer stem than the stock stem. I'm glad you went to a good shop and got a fitting, @santacruz skier , because some riders make the mistake of just standing over the top tube to decide on frame size and neglect other important variables and effect comfort and efficiency and proper riding position.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
This is awesome information @Little Lightning ..... I told Wade I would make a decision in the next 2 weeks...... Will probably go for the higher end of the two.....thank you again! I'll let you know when I order it.... not many colors left in a size 44..... so either black w/ red or white w/ black.... I'm leaning towards white w/ black.... BF likes black w/ red.
I'm excited but need to find a place to put new bike.... Storage is limited at my beach condo w/o a garage.... Oh btw, Wade really liked my Voodoo (I rode it there) and said don't ever get rid of it... Then said he could use that frame and get a very cool bike built up for me... Um no, I'm just going to leave it as is.....
WHITE with black!!!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
WHITE with black!!
Yes, my preference! Even though the other Ruby that was $250 cheaper had better color - white w lime green....
Will order next week the white w black one unless I wait for the 2018's to come in

santacruz skier

Angel Diva

luliski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I finally made a decision! Special ordered the Ruby Sport SL4 - in gloss white/black color
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/women/bikes/road/performance/ruby-sl4-sport-rim-brake/118386

Because it's 2017 model I got it for $1500..... 25% off...
Thanks everyone for all your input! @Little Lightning , @luliski , @vanhoskier and other posters! I'm excited! I haven't been on a road bike in over 20 years! Just mountain bikes!
Looks like it has some good climbing gears!! New skis and a new bike!

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Awesome! I'm so excited for you! Can't wait to hear how you like it. What pedals and shoes did you get?
Keep in mind that it will take some time for your body to adjust to the different position so be patient.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Awesome! I'm so excited for you! Can't wait to hear how you like it. What pedals and shoes did you get?
Keep in mind that it will take some time for your body to adjust to the different position so be patient.
I am excited and think this bike is a decent bike for me to start with. Maybe more than I need but something I can grow in to. I ordered the 44 but if feel it is too short can get the 48. I think it will be fine as I have a long torso and shorter legs. Plus Wade will "fit" the bike to me and possibly switch out handlebars, stem, cranks, etc. I was thinking I haven't been on a road bike in over 20 years so definitely will be an adjustment from my trusty Voodoo Wanga. Also I have cages or these clip-y things on my mountain bike and have never used proper clip in pedals.
Wade at Spokesman said he thinks I should start out with the stock pedals (flat) that come with the bike and only last a short time to get used to the bike. Then get clipless (is that what they're called) pedals and shoes. I have shimano mountain bike shoes but recently I have been riding with running shoes.... I will want your opinion on shoes and pedals as my understanding is that I will inevitably fall once I get clip less pedals...... Bike will take a week or so to come and I'm going to Mexico next Saturday so will pick up bike when I return from Mexico...

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I am excited and think this bike is a decent bike for me to start with. Maybe more than I need but something I can grow in to. I ordered the 44 but if feel it is too short can get the 48. I think it will be fine as I have a long torso and shorter legs. Plus Wade will "fit" the bike to me and possibly switch out handlebars, stem, cranks, etc. I was thinking I haven't been on a road bike in over 20 years so definitely will be an adjustment from my trusty Voodoo Wanga. Also I have cages or these clip-y things on my mountain bike and have never used proper clip in pedals.
Wade at Spokesman said he thinks I should start out with the stock pedals (flat) that come with the bike and only last a short time to get used to the bike. Then get clipless (is that what they're called) pedals and shoes. I have shimano mountain bike shoes but recently I have been riding with running shoes.... I will want your opinion on shoes and pedals as my understanding is that I will inevitably fall once I get clip less pedals...... Bike will take a week or so to come and I'm going to Mexico next Saturday so will pick up bike when I return from Mexico...

|As far as clipless goes,I recommend using clipless mountain bike pedals and shoes. |They are often easier to engage/disgengage and the shoes are easier to walk in.I switched from road clipless and shoes to mountain several years ago after knee surgery..I didn't want to walk around in road shoes with a wonky knee.I get better ease of use and still good power from the mountain bike shoe and pedal.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
|As far as clipless goes,I recommend using clipless mountain bike pedals and shoes. |They are often easier to engage/disgengage and the shoes are easier to walk in.I switched from road clipless and shoes to mountain several years ago after knee surgery..I didn't want to walk around in road shoes with a wonky knee.I get better ease of use and still good power from the mountain bike shoe and pedal.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm probably picking up the bike after my vacation next week and will ride on flat pedals for about a month to get used to bike....then...

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm loving the Speedplay Lite Action pedals with walkable cleats. They have the Speedplay easy release mechanism with rubber covers over the cleats. No more messing around with covers to keep from slipping on smooth surfaces and to protect the cleats. Plugs are included to protect the cleats from dirt. So far walking in them have not bothered my cranky pereonal tendon.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I'm loving the Speedplay Lite Action pedals with walkable cleats. They have the Speedplay easy release mechanism with rubber covers over the cleats. No more messing around with covers to keep from slipping on smooth surfaces and to protect the cleats. Plugs are included to protect the cleats from dirt. So far walking in them have not bothered my cranky pereonal tendon.
Easy release sounds good.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have dual-sided pedals on my mt bike. One side is to clip in, other side is flat. While the idea sounded good, in practice it's annoying having to seek the right side for the shoe for an extra second. And they're heavy.

But learning to clip in and out wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I have dual-sided pedals on my mt bike
I've never heard of dual sided pedals....I probably would have tried.
I'm a little scared (esp with knee issues now and lo bone density) to try clips ins but I will. First I will ride with stock pedals to get used to a different bike...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna