• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Advice for Road Bike Size for Petite Woman

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Not sure how far this shop is from you but the video on bike fit is worth watching. BTW, this shop has lots of bike fit certifications.
https://spokesmanbicycles.com/bicycles-2/road-bikes/
Awesome. That is the shop I was looking at the Specialized Ruby!!!! It's a half mile from my house! Think I was talking to a newbie... I know the owner - I take my Voodoo there for maintenance and tune ups...
Thanks so much.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's so funny that I picked your shop. Looks like a good place. Even better that you know them. Happy shopping.

AdkLynn

Certified Ski Diva
Do not get a hybrid. They do nothing well.
I disagree, a very good hybrid, such as my Cannondale Quick , is fun, versatile and reasonably fast. It handles crappy road surfaces and conditions better than my Synapse road bike.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    723.7 KB · Views: 7

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I can't be of much help as I'm not much of a biker. Have had a Rocky Mountain mountain bike for many years but am thinking of getting something new. So reading this thread with interest.

Not interested in road biking at all (prefer to stay far away from cars!) so am considering a hybrid. I know there was a recommendation here to not get a hybrid, but I think that might work best for me.

Although we now have many fabulous mtn bike trails around here (using some of the x-c and snowshoe trails in the municipality), not sure how much of that I want (you never know though). So a hybrid would be good for the old rail trails nearby. I tried out my granddaughter's bike last summer and loved the fit - must ask about its size. (Hey, maybe she'll have outgrown it and I can get a hand-me-down...)

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You could also check out cross or cyclo cross bikes. They are a mix of road and mountain bike. In Sept. we do a ride in S. Dakota on a 109 mi rails to trail path. Most of the riders are now riding Cross bikes rather than mountain or hybrid bikes.

BethL

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I ride my cross bike more than my road bike these days. Great on gravel/dirt roads. Change the tires, and it's almost as good as a regular road bike.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm going to go in there next week and see about making an appointment for a bike fitting.
Thank you again!

How did the bike search go?

I ended up going to a new fitter to have my fit rechecked. My left hip and ankle still get aggravated from riding. The fitter works with women tri athletes and seemed to know how to help me. Basically, the frame fit was good. What we did 11 years ago was spot on. Except times have changed. There were 3 changes he recommended to update my bike.

1st was new handlebars. Styles have changed over the years to more ergonomic style handlebars. Great change for me. I can wrap my fingers around the shifters and get a good grip on the brake levers. The center part of the handlebar is flatter. That'll be great for long rides. He said you should never ride with your hands on the curved part of the handlebar. There also should be a bend in the elbows.

2nd and 3rd changes were a shock. Shorter crank arms and larger shoes. I already have 165mm crank arms. Going to a 155 mm crank arm will open my hips more. In other words, my knees don't come up as high. Effectively, it's about an inch change. 11 years ago 155 crank sets were difficult to get. Surprisingly, he had them in stock. I read that climbing will be easier too.

Finally, my cycling shoes were too small. I'm a size 5-5.5 shoe and was wearing a size 37. Correct size due to the charts. Measuring length and width with the bannock device he calculated that I needed a size 39. Apparently, my 37 shoes weren't matching the width of the metatarsals. So I went shopping for new shoes. I tried on several brands like he suggested. Like my past experiences with testing cycling shoes nothing felt as good as the Sidi brand. It was nice to shop for a larger shoe size. There were actually options.

Expensive day making all these changes. Worth it though to get a happy hip, comfort and efficiency on my bike.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's great, @Little Lightning . Sounds like you've been testing these changes--keep us posted on your thoughts after a few months. I'm not a serious rider, comfort is the biggest factor for hand, neck, and now low back issues. But I don't want a comfort bike. I've been thinking about selling my road bike and getting a hybrid/fitness bike instead, something like the Trek Neko. I still have my hardtail mt. bike.

@santacruz skier - did you pull the trigger?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
How did the bike search go?

I ended up going to a new fitter to have my fit rechecked. My left hip and ankle still get aggravated from riding. The fitter works with women tri athletes and seemed to know how to help me. Basically, the frame fit was good. What we did 11 years ago was spot on. Except times have changed. There were 3 changes he recommended to update my bike.

1st was new handlebars. Styles have changed over the years to more ergonomic style handlebars. Great change for me. I can wrap my fingers around the shifters and get a good grip on the brake levers. The center part of the handlebar is flatter. That'll be great for long rides. He said you should never ride with your hands on the curved part of the handlebar. There also should be a bend in the elbows.

2nd and 3rd changes were a shock. Shorter crank arms and larger shoes. I already have 165mm crank arms. Going to a 155 mm crank arm will open my hips more. In other words, my knees don't come up as high. Effectively, it's about an inch change. 11 years ago 155 crank sets were difficult to get. Surprisingly, he had them in stock. I read that climbing will be easier too.

Finally, my cycling shoes were too small. I'm a size 5-5.5 shoe and was wearing a size 37. Correct size due to the charts. Measuring length and width with the bannock device he calculated that I needed a size 39. Apparently, my 37 shoes weren't matching the width of the metatarsals. So I went shopping for new shoes. I tried on several brands like he suggested. Like my past experiences with testing cycling shoes nothing felt as good as the Sidi brand. It was nice to shop for a larger shoe size. There were actually options.

Expensive day making all these changes. Worth it though to get a happy hip, comfort and efficiency on my bike.

Hi , thanks for all the great information. I've been pretty busy lately and have not taken the time to go check out bikes. I have been riding almost every day though. Saw my nephew yesterday who is an avid cyclist and asked me the same question. Agreed that I should go to the Spokesman in Santa Cruz and said they have a separate room for bike fitting. Then go from there. Think I mentioned I know the owner so kind of waiting to get a chance to talk to him first. For a while, I was thinking maybe I want a new mountain bike instead of a new road bike.... Also my nephew is a big spender when it comes to toys and has a $12k road bike, (one of the "S" works) etc.... I'm not certain how much I want to invest...
Do you have any suggestions in the <$2k category? Also, here in SC, it's a big mountain bike community and I know very few women who "road" bike.

Interesting about the shoe size.... My voodoo mtn bike has the shorter stem, cranks, handlebars, etc as purchased the frame and customized everything else. Way back then in the mid 90's the voodoo was about $2k.......

Thanks for the email.... Think I'll go see Wade at the Spokesman next week and make an appt.
Also, thinking of buying the Black Crow Camox Birdie skis soon.....

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
did you pull the trigger?

Not yet ....... currently riding my mtn bike almost every day and a few times a week will ride to the gym, do weights for knee rehab, and ride home.....

luliski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lol. I keep going back and forth between wanting a mtn bike (don't have one really), or wanting a new road bike. I'd come ride with you, @santacruz skier! Plus, there must be a cycling club where you could meet people to ride with. Lots of shops offer group rides, too. Has the price dropped on the Black Crows? I keep looking at the Sambas, but price is still in $500 range.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Yes there are cycling clubs so you're right, it wouldn't be hard to find a group to ride with... That being said, road bikes are a bit of a commitment .... Seems like with a mountain bike, I just get on my bike and ride wherever, along the ocean, out to Wilder Ranch, up to the UCSC campus, to the Farmers Market, whatever.
Knowing me , if purchase a road bike, it will not be for running errands. So still need to convince myself that I really want a road bike, not a new mountain bike.....

Price has not dropped on the Black Crows. Manufacturers are all aware that many mountains still are open!!
Powder 7 has several Black Crows in a 156 and Evo has one pair.....
Sambas are here in my storage waiting to go back to Tahoe. The only reason I brought them home was I thought I would bring to Europe. Lucky me, decided not to schlepp the skis and demoed the Great Joy and Black Crow. Maybe I should buy both and sell the Sambas?????
Especially b/c my insurance just reimbursed me my $600 doctors visit in Switzerland!!!!!

luliski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think you need 3 new bikes: road bike just for road rides, a town bike for errands and riding along the ocean, and a mountain bike for all those great Santa Cruz trails (I'm assuming you'd want full-suspension, which is why I think you need a town bike).

I think the price on the Great Joys has dropped.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I think you need 3 new bikes: road bike just for road rides, a town bike for errands and riding along the ocean, and a mountain bike for all those great Santa Cruz trails (I'm assuming you'd want full-suspension, which is why I think you need a town bike).

I think the price on the Great Joys has dropped.
Oh dear, where would I put all these bikes?

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi , thanks for all the great information. I've been pretty busy lately and have not taken the time to go check out bikes. I have been riding almost every day though. Saw my nephew yesterday who is an avid cyclist and asked me the same question. Agreed that I should go to the Spokesman in Santa Cruz and said they have a separate room for bike fitting. Then go from there. Think I mentioned I know the owner so kind of waiting to get a chance to talk to him first. For a while, I was thinking maybe I want a new mountain bike instead of a new road bike.... Also my nephew is a big spender when it comes to toys and has a $12k road bike, (one of the "S" works) etc.... I'm not certain how much I want to invest...
Do you have any suggestions in the <$2k category? Also, here in SC, it's a big mountain bike community and I know very few women who "road" bike.

Interesting about the shoe size.... My voodoo mtn bike has the shorter stem, cranks, handlebars, etc as purchased the frame and customized everything else. Way back then in the mid 90's the voodoo was about $2k.......

Thanks for the email.... Think I'll go see Wade at the Spokesman next week and make an appt.
Also, thinking of buying the Black Crow Camox Birdie skis soon.....

I can't recommend bikes because I haven't followed the market in years. The bike fitter I saw included assistance in choosing the frame when the fitting was done. They have prototype bikes that are adjustable so they can get your measurements. From your measurements they can look at frame dimensions and determine your best size. Even if the bike is stock there may be adjustments that need to be made. Usually it's things like switching out the stock handlebars/stem or seat post. Bike manufacturers are doing a better job of designing bikes for women. That said, when you're on the wrong side of the bell curve you still may have issues.

Cost of bikes has a lot to do with frame materials and components. A higher end bike will have a lighter frame, lighter wheels and better quality components.

Over time the high quality components trickle down to the average consumer. For example, the new Sidi shoes I bought have a carbon 4 sole vs the high end shoe with carbon 7 sole. My old Sidi shoes have a carbon 3 sole. Because of my size I decided I didn't need to pay for the higher end shoe to get a stiffer sole. I still ended up with a stiffer sole than my old shoes.

Higher end components will shift better and last longer. That said, I'm betting that the high end components I bought for my bike 11 years ago are now the low end components of today. My shifters are rebuild able so when they go bad they can be repaired and I don't have to replace them.

Now you have electronic shifting. Apparently, you push a button to shift instead of moving levers.

The most important issue though is frame size. Components can be changed out but if your frame doesn't fit from the beginning there's no magic that can be worked on it to give you a better fit.

Your friend at the bike shop will help you with all of this.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna