• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Accidentally Improved - Anyone else?

CAdreaming

Certified Ski Diva
Hi Divas,

As you may know, I am new to skiing. I started skiing at the end of last season and this is my first full season.
I had been skiing greens and was planning to try an easy blue run with an instructor by my side at the end of this season.

My DH and I were at Kirkwood yesterday. It was my first time there. And as any good beginners do, I searched for the good green runs that I can practice my skills while having fun skiing.

Well, I tried couple of green runs off the beginner lift and I quickly became bored with it. Kirkwood's beginner runs are gentler than the other Tahoe resorts where I have been skiing.
So, I decided to try another beginner run called Squirrel Ridge and this run was off another lift that mostly had blue runs.

To get to the Squirrel Ridge, I had to come down a short but very steep run while crossing an advance run where the advance skiers are speeding down.

As I was skiing down this very steep run, I looked to my right and there were the tops of the two different blue runs.
And I noticed that these blue runs were much flatter than the steep run that I had to ski down in order to get to my measly Squirrel Ridge.
In addition, I did not even have to cross the speeding down advance skiers and they were much wider than Squirrel.

But I was there to do the Squirrel Ridge so I did this beginner run. And I decided to do it again.
As I was skiing down the same steep path to the Squirrel, I eyed those two blue intermediate runs on my right again.
At that moment, it occurred to me that if I can ski this steep hill, I should be able to ski those blue runs since they were much flatter.

So, instead of skiing towards the Squirrel Ridge, I turned to the right and came down on one of the blue runs.
Yes, it was more exciting than the green runs but I really enjoyed it!!! :yahoo:

After that, well :becky: I skied the same blue runs several times and also skied the other blue runs. :yahoo:
I did not go back to the greens. :becky:

My DH was nicely surprise to find me at the blues when he came down from his double diamond runs to check on me.

So, now accidentally I am an intermediate skier. :yahoo:

Did this ever happened to you?
Have you accidentally improved or learn a new skill at the ski slopes?

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow! Good job! That is SO exciting! :smile:

frenchgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did too this week. This wednesday a lot of snow came down and the snow was heavy, ungroomed. I had a hard time skiing in it because I am used to hardpack, groomed runs. After our class me and this other girl decided to go on a harder blue together. We said to ourselves that we could do it. So we went one at the time, and giving each other feedback on our style. The next day I went back and the conditions were perfect. So I thought: "well since I skied in harder conditions yesterday I surely can do it today!". I went on blue runs 6 times that day, and went on them Friday and today too.
They still intimidate me but I know I can do it, at least when there's no ice.

abc

Banned
Runs at different resorts don't always compare. So one resorts blue maybe another resorts green.

Also, condition makes a big difference. A lot of people can ski blacks when it's nice and soft. But when it's a sheet of ice, even some "expert" who routinely ski double blacks may end up having trouble on a steep blue!

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Runs at different resorts don't always compare. So one resorts blue maybe another resorts green.

Also, condition makes a big difference. A lot of people can ski blacks when it's nice and soft. But when it's a sheet of ice, even some "expert" who routinely ski double blacks may end up having trouble on a steep blue!
You know, abc, you do not need to put down other user's excitement by qualifying their achievements. :nono:

Often it's a mental thing to get ourselves to do a run that we can ski physically but we fear in our heads. I often use a technique with the kids I coach where I sneak them onto a black diamond from a direction where they won't see the sign and then tell them at the bottom that they did it. Once they've done it it isn't as scary anymore and they can take that knowledge to other black diamonds (or blue squares as the case is here). CADreaming, congratulations on conquering that mental block ('cause I'm positive you could do it before!) now take it back to your home mountain and remember that you CAN do that blue square and do it. :thumbsup::yahoo:

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Am I not reading correctly? Or do you need glasses?
abc, what bothers me about your statement is rather than celebrating with a Diva who is a new skier over her wonderful accomplishment you chose to accentuate her one qualifier and dwell on the negative. With an experienced skier critiquing technique that's appropriate but this is a celebration. Let's celebrate with her.

CADreaming, sorry for the hijack, I really am very excited for you! Even as a long time skier when I break a barrier it's an incredible feeling of accomplishment and pride and I hope you're feeling it!

abc

Banned
But what's so negative about it? She herself found the greens in Kirkwood too gentle and boring!

Your "technique" may work well for kids. But adults are much better at making their own decision instead of blindly following others. In fact, CADreaming had a pretty good head on her shoulder when she "venture" over to the blues when she found one that's no worse than the greens she's skiing on.

Realizing the green/blue/black are mostly relative is the start of good risk assessment in skiing. If we were to celebrate, that's a much more important "skill" worthy of celebrating! Not so much of calling herself a (Kirkwood) intermediate.

For a women's specific site, I do find it rather interesting there're so much "alpha (fe)male" character about. The need to lable our own skiing to the highest "level" without embarassing ourselves, etc. Epic is full of it. Do we need it here? Do we need to "celebrate" it here?

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey CADreaming, Thats fantastic. It is such a great feeling when you reach a new level. I had a similar thing happen to me last year at Solitude (in Utah). Three years ago, I attempted to ski a black groomer at Solitude, and half way down felt my skis get out of control and I went flying into some pine trees on the side of the slope. I grabbed the big branches to stop myself and in the process inadvertently threw my poles further down the hill. LAst year I decided to face my demon and found that it was not hard for me at all. I also find that the more I ski, the less intimidating things seem, and the more confidence I have in myself to tackle more challenging terrain.

Congrats again!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Made me :smile: to read your post, CAd! What a feeling! But you know what? I think the "accidental" part of the thread title can be modified! Wasn't accidental at all! Your skills and confidence are improving - no accident to that! (Maybe it just caught you off guard! :smile:) Congrats on a great day, and enjoy the satisfaction of your progress!! Hope you have many more similar skiing moments!

CAdreaming

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks Divas for all your feedbacks, stories and encouragements! :becky:

I agree with Robyn and others about the 'mental thing'. Before the Kirkwood, whenever I saw 'Blue Square' signed trails, I would not even consider looking at that direction before. Now, I will consider skiing some blues. :becky:

And ABC, I appreciate your objective inputs as well. Yes, I understand some blues are easier than others. My DH skied the same blue runs with me several times at the end. Based on his expert and experienced assessments, those were easy Blues; however, he said that it was definitely an improvement from greens.

But I don't care.:p
I just want to say that I can do blues :dance: (I will skip 'easy' part out of it. :p)

We are going to be skiing at Sierra at Tahoe on this coming Sunday and I will be trying some of their blues. :becky:

I will still hire an instructor again during this season so I can update my skills. Nonetheless, I really love skiing!! :love:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
CADreaming, give yourself a pat on the back; you done good! I celebrate your achievement, because it definitely is one. You took a step up in your skiing, and you did it all on your own, without being led, pushed, or pulled. That takes guts. :thumbsup: Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
CAdreaming is well on her way to living her dream!!!!

:yahoo:

Jilly

Staff member
CAdreaming congrat to you. I knew you could do it.

abc - I use the same technique as Robyn does with ADULTS!

abc

Banned
CAdreaming congrat to you. I knew you could do it.

abc - I use the same technique as Robyn does with ADULTS!
Fair enough. I understand there're some people who would only "progress" into the next "color" under the guidian of instructor.

Seems CADreaming does very well on her own! That's worth a great deal of celebration!

Christy

Angel Diva
CAdreaming that is fantastic and I'm a bit jealous. This is my second full season and nothing has come easy or accidentally for me--I've taken quite a few lessons and have really had to work to improve. I find my biggest leaps come in lessons, when I trust my teacher and then will do things I wouldn't otherwise even imagine doing (like, recently, practicing getting comfortable with speed by going straight down a steep slope).

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
CADreaming!

That's fantastic! It's so cool to jump a level in anything, but there's something special about when we do it skiing! It opens up a new world of opportunity you didn't have before, and that is always so much fun. Sending you virtual high fives!!!

bettei

Certified Ski Diva
I am an older skier who took her first lesson at 40 years old. And I have been at it for a "few" years now. :becky: And I think you should be pleased with yourself also...way to go!

It is part a mind game. Our first trip was to Winter Park, and some sections of even a green run scared us a little at first. And we went back there a few years later and laughed at ourselves for being scared of it.

I only get to ski a few days a year and am probably a terminal intermediate, but I love going down those mountains. I wish I had more opportunities to go more often.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna