• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

DIVA DOGS!

MissySki

Angel Diva
This sounds like its a temporary thing? You aren't responsible for dealing with adopters? That makes it easier.

They are bringing up a ton of dogs right now because there is a big event next Saturday that multiple
Rescues participate in. People can get preapproved ahead of time and then there are lots of dogs to meet, they have areas for families to bring their current dogs to meet a potential new pup, etc. So they need a lot of extra fosters and it gives the added benefit for this event in particular that you are making a specific short term commitment. Keep them for a week until the event, and if they are not adopted then and you cannot keep them indefinitely they ask for just one additional week of a commitment to be able to find a new foster for the pup. So it's a max 2 week commitment (or less) if you want it to be. A lot of people dip their toes in to try it this way. I've been in a private Facebook group for awhile now since I was approved months ago, so they will post the dogs who need fosters every couple of weeks and you can choose who you want to foster and you also get first dibs on a dog you might want to adopt if that is the case. Some people constantly have like 6 fosters and others foster a few times per year as schedules allow, etc. It's also a good support system to ask questions or if something weird comes up.

The pups we are taking are 3 months old and 10 lbs, so I imagine they will go quickly, but you never know. They have no idea what their breed is, but are calling them Shepherd/mixed breed who they expect to be Medium sized when full grown. I'm more of a small breed girl myself, so this is some extra insurance to not foster fail on our first go through. :smile: If all goes well in our house, and they somehow don't get snatched up next weekend, I'd be willing to keep them a bit longer term as needed. They often go super fast though, I see the adoption announcements on the private page. Usually young pups go ridiculously fast, but I do wonder if that is the case at this time of year with cold weather and holidays coming? Spring/summer seem the most popular for getting puppies that you then need to spend a lot of time with outside potty training etc.

With ski season coming up this may be our only opportunity to foster for a bit since we are gone every weekend. I wanted to try it out now and see how things go, and then probably pick back up in the spring if Sookie tolerates it well.

Following so many Rescues on Facebook from when we were looking for a dog, and being a part of the behind the scenes private Facebook group for this Rescue in particular.. I am just so amazed at the magnitude of the problem with overpopulation and suffering of dogs due to irresponsible owners. The vast majority of dogs from Rescues in New England get brought up from the South where there are apparently much different attitudes on spay/neutering and also about supervising them versus letting them wander outside. I knew it was all a big problem, but never did I imagine the true heartbreaking extent of it all. Current economic issues are only pushing it all to an even worse extent when you take into account the unprecedented number of local dogs that are being abandoned or surrendered too. It's craziness.. :( I am so happy to help in any way, and try to donate supplies when calls go out and hope to have fostering work out etc. But it truly feels like trying to stop a fire hose by sticking your hand over the nozzle. There are literally a never ending supply of dogs and puppies who need homes. Where are most of the dogs from in the PNW that Rescues bring in?

Christy

Angel Diva
That sounds like the perfect intro to fostering.

The vast majority of dogs from Rescues in New England get brought up from the South where there are apparently much different attitudes on spay/neutering and also about supervising them versus letting them wander outside.
But it truly feels like trying to stop a fire hose by sticking your hand over the nozzle. There are literally a never ending supply of dogs and puppies who need homes.

I know. It's so disheartening. Up here the transfers are most often from Texas. The attitudes and laws (or lack thereof), the cost, and right now, the lack of vets and vet techs (this is becoming a huge scary problem--in Seattle our clinic is WAY behind and we are having a really hard time finding outside vets to help)--it's so much. Sometimes I think, why don't we go to Texas and treat it likes it's Puerto Rico? (https://www.humanesociety.org/spayathon). But is that even possible, politically? I don't know. There are more and more mobile clinics helping people that do want to s/n but can't afford it or don't have access, but it's such a big problem.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Lark just came about as close as I'd ever want her to get to getting bit by a rattlesnake. She was maybe 30ft ahead of me on a neighborhood trail we walk at least a few times a week, picked up a big stick, jumped back startled, and then I heard it rattle. It was right on the side of the trail, pretty well camoflaged. Took me a beat to realize what was going on, but then Lark came as soon as I called her, thank goodness.

Now I'm basically questioning everything about our hiking routine. With the amount she's off leash (with the amount all dogs in Boulder are off leash!), it's kind of amazing to think about how rarely you have encounters this close. How often am I walking right by these things and not even realizing? Probably all the time!

Anyways, I didn't like that at all.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Lark just came about as close as I'd ever want her to get to getting bit by a rattlesnake. She was maybe 30ft ahead of me on a neighborhood trail we walk at least a few times a week, picked up a big stick, jumped back startled, and then I heard it rattle. It was right on the side of the trail, pretty well camoflaged. Took me a beat to realize what was going on, but then Lark came as soon as I called her, thank goodness.

Now I'm basically questioning everything about our hiking routine. With the amount she's off leash (with the amount all dogs in Boulder are off leash!), it's kind of amazing to think about how rarely you have encounters this close. How often am I walking right by these things and not even realizing? Probably all the time!

Anyways, I didn't like that at all.
Very scary! Are there classes you can do to train them on keeping away from rattle snakes?

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Very scary! Are there classes you can do to train them on keeping away from rattle snakes?
There is snake-awareness training for dogs; if you live in a place where there are a lot of venomous snakes you can probably look around on the web and find someone who does it.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Following so many Rescues on Facebook from when we were looking for a dog, and being a part of the behind the scenes private Facebook group for this Rescue in particular.. I am just so amazed at the magnitude of the problem with overpopulation and suffering of dogs due to irresponsible owners. The vast majority of dogs from Rescues in New England get brought up from the South where there are apparently much different attitudes on spay/neutering and also about supervising them versus letting them wander outside. I knew it was all a big problem, but never did I imagine the true heartbreaking extent of it all. Current economic issues are only pushing it all to an even worse extent when you take into account the unprecedented number of local dogs that are being abandoned or surrendered too. It's craziness.. :( I am so happy to help in any way, and try to donate supplies when calls go out and hope to have fostering work out etc. But it truly feels like trying to stop a fire hose by sticking your hand over the nozzle. There are literally a never ending supply of dogs and puppies who need homes. Where are most of the dogs from in the PNW that Rescues bring in?
Living in TN we see it all the time. I work with a nationwide rescue transport group that helps hook up rescues that need to transport pets with drivers willing to drive a leg of a transport within their area. If anyone's interested in volunteering, it's called Doobert.com, and you can pick whichever legs you want to drive, or not.

Last edited:

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
There is snake-awareness training for dogs; if you live in a place where there are a lot of venomous snakes you can probably look around on the web and find someone who does it.

Yeah - she honestly handled it pretty well. Did not attempt to get after the snake and was clearly aware the snake was a threat. Startled at every brown stick we saw all the way home (as did I). That said, I may sign her up for a rattlesnake class this spring, anyways.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Yeah - she honestly handled it pretty well. Did not attempt to get after the snake and was clearly aware the snake was a threat. Startled at every brown stick we saw all the way home (as did I). That said, I may sign her up for a rattlesnake class this spring, anyways.
That would be a great idea. Having lived in southern NM for 10 yrs, I saw LOTS of rattlesnakes, almost daily in the summer. Pretty much they want to avoid being seen, so unless you step right on one, if they're not rattling or in a striking position they'll just try to get away before you ever see them, but, of course, dogs don't think about that, LOL. I once had once slither right across my feet as I was hiking thru some tall grass! Happened so fast, I almost didn't realize what happened until it was gone. Also, there was a group in my town called Rattlesnake Rescue; they would come at any time of the day or night to rehome a snake from your property, to keep them from being killed.

Christy

Angel Diva
There is a rattlesnake vaccine, too.

You may know this but there are positive training based rattlesnake avoidance classes these days. I don't know if it's still the case but they typically used to rely on shock collars. It kinda sounds like she might have figured out out, though?

MissySki

Angel Diva
So…. I may already have had a panic of “what was I thinking?!?!?”. On the one hand Mars and Saturn are really good at comforting each other. They settled in a crate together on the ride back to my house and they settled together super easily and are sleeping together in an exercise pen in the next room right now. They whined a little, but once I fed them they were pretty content. They were also champs at allowing me to bath them.. omg I had to shampoo them each THREE times. The stench was real. I wasn’t completely expecting that as when I got Sookie off of her transport she legit was clean and happy and not smelly! These guys were quite scared coming off of the truck, but they seem to have warmed up to me pretty quickly. On the other hand, one dog would have been much easier to handle in other ways!

I took turns taking one of them outside to meet Sookie when we first got home and those each went well. I also let Sookie come up to each while I was holding them drying after their individual baths and that was calm and just sniffs. I have kept them separated so far inside besides that because it’s late and I’m exhausted. Also, the puppies are a tad burlier than I had anticipated (their paws are huge!) and they play pretty rough together. Sookie has always been a sniff and chase/be chased player but not a wrestler/biter at all. How do I decide if it’s okay to let them try and play off leash as we go forward? Do I keep it to one on one to start? Am I being ridiculous to be a little concerned/overly cautious? The last thing I want is for Sookie to get uber freaked out about a dog trying to jump on/bite her.. Thoughts? I do not have a lot of experience with this piece. We’ve done play groups mostly with other Pugs and they have seemed to play the same as her which hasn’t been in an overly physical manner and is more chase like.

Any advice, or calming energy sent my way, is appreciated! Lol I am also planning to ask our trainer about this tomorrow as we had a lesson earlier this week and she encouraged me to reach out and let her know how everything is going tomorrow. She will at least be proud that I was able to get Sookie to do some tricks and heel on leash around 10 feet from the puppies’ pen. She had thought fostering could be great for training opportunities if Sookie cooperates, since that is a lot of distraction. She also thought it could go poorly if Sookie hated having them here, hence her telling me to reach out tomorrow lol.

Last edited:

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I took turns taking one of them outside to meet Sookie when we first got home and those each went well. I also let Sookie come up to each while I was holding them drying after their individual baths and that was calm and just sniffs. I have kept them separated so far inside besides that because it’s late and I’m exhausted. Also, the puppies are a tad burlier than I had anticipated (their paws are huge!) and they play pretty rough together. Sookie has always been a sniff and chase/be chased player but not a wrestler/biter at all. How do I decide if it’s okay to let them try and play off leash as we go forward? Do I keep it to one on one to start? Am I being ridiculous to be a little concerned/overly cautious? The last thing I want is for Sookie to get uber freaked out about a dog trying to jump on/bite her.. Thoughts? I do not have a lot of experience with this piece. We’ve done play groups mostly with other Pugs and they have seemed to play the same as her which hasn’t been in an overly physical manner and is more chase like.

Any advice, or calming energy sent my way, is appreciated! Lol I am also planning to ask our trainer about this tomorrow as we had a lesson earlier this week and she encouraged me to reach out and let her know how everything is going tomorrow. She will at least be proud that I was able to get Sookie to do some tricks and heel on leash around 10 feet from the puppies’ pen. She had thought fostering could be great for training opportunities if Sookie cooperates, since that is a lot of distraction. She also thought it could go poorly if Sookie hated having them here, hence her telling me to reach out tomorrow lol.
Since you already have a trainer appt today, I'm sure she will give you the best advice, but in my experience, most adult dogs seem to understand that puppies are crazy, and will often correct them if they get too rough. One at a time is a good idea, to start out. It will be interesting to hear what your trainer suggests.

Christy

Angel Diva
So…. I may already have had a panic of “what was I thinking?!?!?”.

This is me most times I've fostered. If you still feel that way at the end of their time with you, there are plenty of other ways to support rescues! (Or you can foster older dogs--that is way easier). Just try to get through this and see how you feel. Hopefully your trainer will provide support. And if Sookie hates it too, that's okay--you don't have to let the pups play with her. They can play with each other. I don't love being around little kids. :smile:

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is would be a great topic for a separate Diva Dog thread: the whole foster experience, warts and all.

Hang in there!

alicie

Angel Diva
This is Yoshi from the summer. I took him swimming at the beach, he loves water but doesn’t like waves so I’m thinking river or loch next summer lol. He swam out after me, I was chest deep and then tried to climb up me. If I was in the sea and he was on the beach he was whining and whining, poor sod. Needless to say I won’t be doing that again, unless it’s not very wavy.
Oh he was perfectly safe the whole time, he was on a long line and in a life jacket, so couldn’t float away or anything. We only spent about 5 minutes in The sea.
I really want to take him on my kayak next summer, I think he’d love it. In a loch so no waves.
Anyway he’s so cute isn’t he lol
491F1E41-78CC-4FE0-9D15-2805D93A588C.jpeg

MissySki

Angel Diva
This is me most times I've fostered. If you still feel that way at the end of their time with you, there are plenty of other ways to support rescues! (Or you can foster older dogs--that is way easier). Just try to get through this and see how you feel. Hopefully your trainer will provide support. And if Sookie hates it too, that's okay--you don't have to let the pups play with her. They can play with each other. I don't love being around little kids. :smile:
Thank you for saying this, it felt very validating yesterday!

I will post a longer update later, but in a nut shell things are much better now than they started. I feel way less overwhelmed and like I actually have it somewhat under control. Hopefully that continues haha.

Here are some pics of the cutie pups:

942F3B27-722B-4E7C-BB61-0CCC2A2E8B7D.jpeg
Saturn

3C08A1E7-E58C-40C8-ACDF-44991A3CCFF2.jpeg
Mars

BD5E2CB7-F4C5-4FE2-860D-7AC7A4548EC1.jpeg

AB3D1137-100C-4CE6-A0D7-ACBC4F0695C9.jpeg

Last edited:

Luvs2ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

MissySki

Angel Diva
I have to edit out the dead time in a video my Ring cam captured earlier and will then post.. but Sookie did the cutest thing today!

We have the puppies in a pen and then another gate separating the room so Sookie can see the pups in their pen but can’t go hassle them through the bars constantly when they are chilling out. Earlier Chris and I were in the living room watching football and the puppies were in their pen alternating between playing and napping after everyone had lunch. So I had the Ring cam up on my phone to keep an eye on the pups playing and Sookie was going back and forth between the couch with me then going back to look at the puppies. One such time she was watching the pups and then pressed “love you” while continuing to look at them. It was SO cute! I gave her a “friend” button when the puppies came home Friday, but I haven’t gotten the chance to model it much yet. So who knows what she was thinking, but it was adorable whatever it was.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga