• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Challenging Ski Boot Situation

Elizabeth.I

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Seconded - my bootfitter recommended Zipfit over Intuition (they carry both) for my small feet, after I was swimming in my stock liners after only 20-30 days. Same reason - I needed liners which were going to take up more room and not pack out, since the shells were too wide. (This was before I got my current Redsters - I was already in the narrowest/smallest boot they had in stock and the lead time for ordering boots in is rather long here - so we opted for new liners as a stop-gap solution)

93mm stated last gang :smile:

I JUST got this exact boot. I went from the Atomic Hawx Ultra 115 S W (too wide for me) to the Atomic Redster STI 110 and I've had maybe 6-7 days on them so far. They're great! The flex is a little stiffer than the Hawx Ultras but it feels more supportive, and the shell fit is just so much better. I've really enjoyed them both on and off piste. So far the stock race liners are working well for me but I still have a pair of zipfits which I can use if the stock liners pack out.
Amazing! Thank you for sharing your experience! I'm definitely going to look into the redsters now....

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Its interesting you are all on the Redsters is there no love for the blue race boots? Technically the Lange WC are 1mm narrower at 92 .... new dark blue for 2023 ;)

I'm sure many race boots are good, my fitter just happened to pick the Atomic ones but I know he was umming and ahhing over which brand to order in for me! I find it funny that there's multiple of us small-footed people now with the bright red boots :smile:

The old bright blue Lange ones are actually super common among race kids at my local, almost all of them are on the blue boots, but it's hard to find them in the narrower widths. I've tried on the 97mm (stated last) bright blue and orange ones but they're very wide on me, and the properly narrow ones don't really seem to exist in stores - I assume they're just special-ordered for people. Recently we've had an influx of race kids from I think Europe, doing some off-season training I guess, and a ton of them are on the Redsters - I've never seen so many red boots in my life, haha!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes @fgor it is interesting, I agree that the regular Langs fit wide, nothing like the World Cup boots which at least in my area only available at a race shop or by special order.
I guess I'll be the outlier in blue...

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
FWIW I've been listening to this 4 part podcast (admittedly its 2 years old) but very interesting:
https://blisterreview.com/gear-101/a-very-deep-dive-on-ski-boots-part-2-flex-patterns-ep-55
Why a standardized flex rating probably won’t happen (35:55)
Important point at 37 discussing empty space in a boot (for a skinny LV foot) and how it affects flex.
I haven't gotten to part 4 but I imagine it will be great as well.... Part 4: Liners, Ramp Angle, & Forward Lean

btw the interviewee is Matt from Atomic for all you red booted divas ;)

Elizabeth.I

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
FWIW I've been listening to this 4 part podcast (admittedly its 2 years old) but very interesting:
https://blisterreview.com/gear-101/a-very-deep-dive-on-ski-boots-part-2-flex-patterns-ep-55
Why a standardized flex rating probably won’t happen (35:55)
Important point at 37 discussing empty space in a boot (for a skinny LV foot) and how it affects flex.
I haven't gotten to part 4 but I imagine it will be great as well.... Part 4: Liners, Ramp Angle, & Forward Lean

btw the interviewee is Matt from Atomic for all you red booted divas ;)
That sounds really interesting! Thanks for sharing- I'll have to check it out!

Jilly

Staff member
One suggestion in - Pulse Boot Lab....they are in Revy and BANFF. At the Banff Springs. Looks expensive, but.....

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Elizabeth.I so if "Lou" is the the Lou of the performance center I have some thoughts. I watched his videos and looked at some of his "articles." Clearly he's not just a "boot seller" and does discuss advanced theories on proper boot fitting, boot angles which is great especially the video on foot width (beginner vs. race boot). But some of his ideas are outdated. Women don't need skis mounted +1 and some of his research is now 20 years old. I found the video interesting regarding women's boots but his fix is to add lifters - There is much debate about fixing this issue internally (shaving boot board) or externally (lifters).

Clearly Lou is a Head dealer. I don't like that his only fix is to "make" a boot rather than trying to find a another brand that may be a better fit. I believe you stated that are in a Jr boot, so in theory any adult race boot would have a taller cuff. (Adult race boots do start at 22.5) IIRC the Head boot had a lower cuff height - at least in the women's rec boots. For reference, my "regular fitter" has worked thru my issues and recommended a specific race boot which they do not carry and probably wouldn't want the bother of ordering. So I specifically went to a shop that I knew regularly stocked and fit those particular boots as well as other brands of race boots. I had an initial fitting where once again (with out me mentioning) that particular boot was recommended. I understand your frustration with wanting more from your current boots - especially feeling like there is no power transfer. I can relate. I don't know what your relationship with Lou - is it possible to discussing bringing in other brands for a fitting - even if you purchased on line? I'm not sure what your other options are in your area.

Elizabeth.I

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Elizabeth.I so if "Lou" is the the Lou of the performance center I have some thoughts. I watched his videos and looked at some of his "articles." Clearly he's not just a "boot seller" and does discuss advanced theories on proper boot fitting, boot angles which is great especially the video on foot width (beginner vs. race boot). But some of his ideas are outdated. Women don't need skis mounted +1 and some of his research is now 20 years old. I found the video interesting regarding women's boots but his fix is to add lifters - There is much debate about fixing this issue internally (shaving boot board) or externally (lifters).

Clearly Lou is a Head dealer. I don't like that his only fix is to "make" a boot rather than trying to find a another brand that may be a better fit. I believe you stated that are in a Jr boot, so in theory any adult race boot would have a taller cuff. (Adult race boots do start at 22.5) IIRC the Head boot had a lower cuff height - at least in the women's rec boots. For reference, my "regular fitter" has worked thru my issues and recommended a specific race boot which they do not carry and probably wouldn't want the bother of ordering. So I specifically went to a shop that I knew regularly stocked and fit those particular boots as well as other brands of race boots. I had an initial fitting where once again (with out me mentioning) that particular boot was recommended. I understand your frustration with wanting more from your current boots - especially feeling like there is no power transfer. I can relate. I don't know what your relationship with Lou - is it possible to discussing bringing in other brands for a fitting - even if you purchased on line? I'm not sure what your other options are in your area.
Yes, Lou is quite highly regarded for his boot fitting skills, he does know what he's doing! The big problem is that he doesn't carry Atomic or Langes which seem to make boots more suitable for me. Head doesn't make an adult cuff for boots below 120 flex and for a race style boot, I don't really think I should go above 110. He would definitely work on a boot for me that I purchased elsewhere, but I don't think he can order in Atomics or Langes because he's not an authorized dealer, unfortunately. I think he's just trying to make it work for me with the equipment he has! I honestly don't really trust any other boot fitters in Calgary haha

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, Lou is quite highly regarded for his boot fitting skills, he does know what he's doing! The big problem is that he doesn't carry Atomic or Langes which seem to make boots more suitable for me. Head doesn't make an adult cuff for boots below 120 flex and for a race style boot, I don't really think I should go above 110. He would definitely work on a boot for me that I purchased elsewhere, but I don't think he can order in Atomics or Langes because he's not an authorized dealer, unfortunately. I think he's just trying to make it work for me with the equipment he has! I honestly don't really trust any other boot fitters in Calgary haha
Curious if that is the flex Lou thought was appropriate? The Redster and Lange WC are available in a 110 in a 23.5. You should be aware though that each boot manufacture has a few versions of their narrow race boots - TI/ STI and CS for Redster and the + version for Lange. At some point you will have to decide how much effort and $$ you want to put into your boots. If he will work on other boots it may be worth it to try to purchase them (with return option of course) and see what he thinks.

I will say I find it ironic that Lou has basically copied Lange's L shape for his own Logo.... but doesn't cary Lange!

Last edited:

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You have my sympathies. I'm your opposite. 5'1" 95 lbs. with big feet thanks to long toes and short shins proportional to my overall leg length so I struggle to find a boot that fits well with a short enough cuff I can leverage and actually flex well. I'm also a 23/23.5 as far as Brannock.

Only rec I might have is I'm in some junior Atomic Redster STI LC 70. While those are junior boots, I believe the STI model, which is a narrower, softer line comes in "adult" flexes also. Aka 100+. I have a wider forefoot (but not wide) b/c bunions and stupid narrow heels. These Atomic boots are the first ones I've been able to wear out of the box w/o a moldable liner. I've had to do both Zipfit and Intuition in the past with previous boots. So maybe look at some stiffer STI models? Atomic also has some stiffer, beefier, but still narrow lines. There's actually an Atomic rep that posts on Skitalk, fwiw. Might be worth asking questions to see if he can help.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have narrow and very low volume feet with chicken legs.
Not an easy combo to find great fitting ski boots as you know very well.
I have purchased MANY so called recreational narrow last boots. All failed.
I now am in Atomic Redster race boots. The narrowest last they offer is 92mm. I have never heard of any boots narrower than 92mm. Then again, I do not know anything about junior selections. I did not want to go to junior section because I did not want the low cuffs as I am not short. I also use after-market liner called Zipfit. The combination of the boots and the liner finally got my floppy feet secured in place. I used to buy new boots every other season with a lot of time spend tinkering/adding so much stuff. Most of the time, I had 4 to 6 layers of thin incerts in my boots to stop my heals moving until I got my current set up. It was crazy.

I ski everyday in the season. I skied 147 days last season. So needless to say my boots are my life. People who have average feet do not understand how difficult to find great fitting boots for people like us. I do get that we are very much minority. The great thing about the Zipfit is, they should last around 1000 days skiing. Those liners that come with boots are packed out after 30 days. For me, that is one month.

I had Atomic Hawx for one season. Nope. Moved on.

I am also 5'7" and wear 23.5cm.

Hope you get to find great fitting boots as they are EVERYTHING.
Is your last actually 92 is that just the last they advertise b/c I'm in some junior Redsters and I know my last is like 86 or 87 or so? It's well below the advertised last b/c scaled down by BSL.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Its interesting you are all on the Redsters is there no love for the blue race boots? Technically the Lange WC are 1mm narrower at 92 .... new dark blue for 2023 ;)
I tried Lange Jr race boots years ago and they've always been mentioned as low volume, which is why I tried them... my feet are a mess and low volume, but Head and Atomic were much better fits for me. The Langes just weren't low vol enough for my feet.

Jilly

Staff member
I'll

I'll have to count my pennies before I commit to going there haha. I'm sure they do an excellent job though!
Exactly my thought. Still haven't heard from any of the CSIA women instructors. They must all be out hiking, biking, summer stuff.
I know that Lange has the SC - short cuff models. Maybe a talk with Monod's would be a place to start. They would be starting to fit the racer kids soon.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
I tried Lange. I did not like them at all.
Them had way too much volume. Yikes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna