• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Challenging Ski Boot Situation

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
I'm sure many race boots are good, my fitter just happened to pick the Atomic ones but I know he was umming and ahhing over which brand to order in for me! I find it funny that there's multiple of us small-footed people now with the bright red boots :smile:

The old bright blue Lange ones are actually super common among race kids at my local, almost all of them are on the blue boots, but it's hard to find them in the narrower widths. I've tried on the 97mm (stated last) bright blue and orange ones but they're very wide on me, and the properly narrow ones don't really seem to exist in stores - I assume they're just special-ordered for people. Recently we've had an influx of race kids from I think Europe, doing some off-season training I guess, and a ton of them are on the Redsters - I've never seen so many red boots in my life, haha!
I can find those blue Lange in Aspen.
I tried them but since my feet are super low volume, I could not secure my feet. In fact, there was ridiculous amount of space left inside.
They sure are very popular among the racers in Aspen because Gorsuch carry them.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
@Elizabeth.I so if "Lou" is the the Lou of the performance center I have some thoughts. I watched his videos and looked at some of his "articles." Clearly he's not just a "boot seller" and does discuss advanced theories on proper boot fitting, boot angles which is great especially the video on foot width (beginner vs. race boot). But some of his ideas are outdated. Women don't need skis mounted +1 and some of his research is now 20 years old. I found the video interesting regarding women's boots but his fix is to add lifters - There is much debate about fixing this issue internally (shaving boot board) or externally (lifters).

Clearly Lou is a Head dealer. I don't like that his only fix is to "make" a boot rather than trying to find a another brand that may be a better fit. I believe you stated that are in a Jr boot, so in theory any adult race boot would have a taller cuff. (Adult race boots do start at 22.5) IIRC the Head boot had a lower cuff height - at least in the women's rec boots. For reference, my "regular fitter" has worked thru my issues and recommended a specific race boot which they do not carry and probably wouldn't want the bother of ordering. So I specifically went to a shop that I knew regularly stocked and fit those particular boots as well as other brands of race boots. I had an initial fitting where once again (with out me mentioning) that particular boot was recommended. I understand your frustration with wanting more from your current boots - especially feeling like there is no power transfer. I can relate. I don't know what your relationship with Lou - is it possible to discussing bringing in other brands for a fitting - even if you purchased on line? I'm not sure what your other options are in your area.
The big red flag for me was the mentioning of the only option being the custom boots. To me, that would have made me go to someone else in a jiffy.
Not even suggesting to try other brand is ridiculous.
Many good boot fitters work together with other stores if he/she does not carry a brand that they think might be a good fit and send the buyer to that store to try. That is what happened to me.
I truly appreciated that.

elemmac

Angel Diva
He would definitely work on a boot for me that I purchased elsewhere, but I don't think he can order in Atomics or Langes because he's not an authorized dealer, unfortunately. I think he's just trying to make it work for me with the equipment he has! I honestly don't really trust any other boot fitters in Calgary haha
If you want to stick with him, I would suggest going this route ^. If his store is not a dealer of a brand, they're not going to be able to get their boots at a wholesale price (they'd be paying full MSRP, like you would). Lots of bootfitters will suggest boots to try, you can find them elsewhere, then have Lou do the fitting and any modifications that might be needed. Even if this means purchasing 2-3 suggested boots online, and working with Lou to determine which is best and returning the others.

Overall, it might be a bit more expensive between return shipping costs and paying for a bootfitting, where the sale of the boot generally includes the bootfitting. But you get to work with the bootfitter you know and trust, and you get the boots that will work for you in the end...seems like it'd be worth the extra cost.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
I tried Lange Jr race boots years ago and they've always been mentioned as low volume, which is why I tried them... my feet are a mess and low volume, but Head and Atomic were much better fits for me. The Langes just weren't low vol enough for my feet.
I tried the Lange. Narrow last、but they were not low volume enough for me. My feet were flapping inside. LOL.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Is your last actually 92 is that just the last they advertise b/c I'm in some junior Redsters and I know my last is like 86 or 87 or so? It's well below the advertised last b/c scaled down by BSL.
I do not want any JR boots because they are LC. I am not short, 5'7".

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
You have my sympathies. I'm your opposite. 5'1" 95 lbs. with big feet thanks to long toes and short shins proportional to my overall leg length so I struggle to find a boot that fits well with a short enough cuff I can leverage and actually flex well. I'm also a 23/23.5 as far as Brannock.

Only rec I might have is I'm in some junior Atomic Redster STI LC 70. While those are junior boots, I believe the STI model, which is a narrower, softer line comes in "adult" flexes also. Aka 100+. I have a wider forefoot (but not wide) b/c bunions and stupid narrow heels. These Atomic boots are the first ones I've been able to wear out of the box w/o a moldable liner. I've had to do both Zipfit and Intuition in the past with previous boots. So maybe look at some stiffer STI models? Atomic also has some stiffer, beefier, but still narrow lines. There's actually an Atomic rep that posts on Skitalk, fwiw. Might be worth asking questions to see if he can help.
70? Wow, that is soft!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I tried the Lange. Narrow last、but they were not low volume enough for me. My feet were flapping inside. LOL.
Which is why @Elizabeth.I you need to be sure you are trying on the World Cup 92 - the Lange boots all look the same including some wider Lange rec boots - as well as the Redster STI in 93 ski vs CS in 96..... Then there is Dalbello also as an option and some Rossi's are the same as Lange....

Elizabeth.I

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Curious if that is the flex Lou thought was appropriate? The Redster and Lange WC are available in a 110 in a 23.5. You should be aware though that each boot manufacture has a few versions of their narrow race boots - TI/ STI and CS for Redster and the + version for Lange. At some point you will have to decide how much effort and $$ you want to put into your boots. If he will work on other boots it may be worth it to try to purchase them (with return option of course) and see what he thinks.

I will say I find it ironic that Lou has basically copied Lange's L shape for his own Logo.... but doesn't cary Lange!
He put me in 110 Heads (my old boots) and I liked the flex on them. I don't think I could flex a 120 boot and I don't want to go lower than 110 because I know that works for me. My touring boots, although stated as a 115 flex are (unsurprisingly) less stiff and I find them too soft when the snow is firm (fortunately only really an issue if I'm doing side country). Not sure if I can order real race boots online so perhaps I'll need to make a trip to Banff and see what my options are there!

Elizabeth.I

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Which is why @Elizabeth.I you need to be sure you are trying on the World Cup 92 - the Lange boots all look the same including some wider Lange rec boots - as well as the Redster STI in 93 ski vs CS in 96..... Then there is Dalbello also as an option and some Rossi's are the same as Lange....
Yeah for sure! Lou does carry Rossi but Rossi doesn't seem to have adult boots with a regular cuff below a 120. Looks like they start the short cuff <120 which is weird since Lange does not do that and I know they're owned by the same company!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah for sure! Lou does carry Rossi but Rossi doesn't seem to have adult boots with a regular cuff below a 120. Looks like they start the short cuff <120 which is weird since Lange does not do that and I know they're owned by the same company!
Same company but smaller run on the race boots. FWIW a 110 is not the same in every boot as you pointed out between your AT boot and the Head. I guess an option for working with Lou would be the 120 Rossi - can always make softer but never stiffer. I would ignore the flex for a moment and focus on finding a boot that fits correctly -- even Lou mentioned that in his video. - narrow footed skiers really need to be in a race boot last. Everyone is different for sure and that's why working with a fitter who understands your nuances is important.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I do not want any JR boots because they are LC. I am not short, 5'7".
Oh I didn’t mean junior boots for you. Redster come in adult too. Was just comparing lasts.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
70? Wow, that is soft!
Big feet plus short shins means too much of my leg tends to become encapsulated in plastic making it hard to get leverage on the cuff.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
He put me in 110 Heads (my old boots) and I liked the flex on them. I don't think I could flex a 120 boot and I don't want to go lower than 110 because I know that works for me. My touring boots, although stated as a 115 flex are (unsurprisingly) less stiff and I find them too soft when the snow is firm (fortunately only really an issue if I'm doing side country). Not sure if I can order real race boots online so perhaps I'll need to make a trip to Banff and see what my options are there!
You can absolutely order race boots online.

Elizabeth.I

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You can absolutely order race boots online.
It's hard in canada since a lot of things come from the US so you have duties, taxes, customs etc etc and there aren't many Canadian stores that carry these boots, let alone in the small size :/ not impossible per se but not easy!

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
It's hard in canada since a lot of things come from the US so you have duties, taxes, customs etc etc and there aren't many Canadian stores that carry these boots, let alone in the small size :/ not impossible per se but not easy!
Try Corbetts and Sundance. They both carry them althought you might need to wait a month or so. They are both Canadian stores

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly