• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Do you always ski in the same jacket, or switch from one to another?

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I own a few jackets but other than my ski school shell that sees the most use I almost always wear the same navy bkue Japanese made she'll I adore.

However, under that shell it can vary a lot. Long sleeve tee in spring, two puffy layered thermal hoodies in winter and a motley assortment of layers depending on conditions.

I also have a distinct preset touring setup. Tank top, light hooded fleece, light rain jacket and then a puffy over it all for lunches and descents. All shades of blue and turquoise. Neon reddish orange pants so I am visible if stuck in a tree well.

I love clothes but would rather spend on new skis since I seldom get to free-spirited anyway...

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am a total outfit slut. Friends complain that they can't find me b/c they never know what I'll be wearing. I no longer buy work clothes or casual clothes b/c I have enuf to see me to the grave. But I can NEVER resist a ski togs sale!

Late confession: I had 16 pairs of ski pants in September. Thanx to ski swaps, I've trimmed down to 8 or 9. Now just what am I going to do with all that store credit I ask you?

Last edited:

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
I always bring a second jacket on multi-day trips, a down puffer in case it gets wicked cold (New England expression) or in case the first one gets wet from rain (New England experience). There was the time I was so busy packing the kids and car that I brought no jacket. Bummer!!! Left it in the mudroom, and only realized when we got to northern NH, and single digits Fahrenheit, and time to unload the car. Brrr!!! Made an emergency trip to TJMaxx in Littleton NH and found a Columbia down jacket, silver color, for $35!!! Jackpot!!! Sadly, left it behind at TSA security in Denver many years later when I got separated from teenage kids and was scurrying around looking for them. The moral of the story is . . . don't pay so much attention to kids that you forget about your essential belongings. That jacket didn't owe me anything, but I was sad to lose it. Anytime we leave for a ski trip, as the packing frenzy comes to a close, the kids ask . . . Mom, did you bring your jacket?

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like to switch it out if I can, but now I have started boarding as well I want to get two pairs of skis and a snowboard on the plane! So I have cut my outerwear packing down to prioritise changing out my pants (more likely to get wet) instead.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a Diva confession... I hate shells. HATE. I own a marmot insulated jacket that is waterproof and a marmot down sweater that is very much not. That's it. That's all I own.

Peppermint

Angel Diva
I am really picky on how my clothes fit so once I find a jacket I love, I just stick with it until its necessary to buy a new one. Thats how I found my current HH jacket, I had, ahem, outgrown my previous jacket and needed a new one. Same with pants, once I find a pair I love, I wear all the time until they don't fit well. My kids know what I wear and like that its easy to find me on the mountain.

FindingSilverLinings

Diva in Training
I feel like I switch up the pants more than the jacket. Puffy insulated ones for those freezing windy east coast days. Thinner pants on warmer days, sometimes just a bib and a base layer for spring skiing lol

Just bought a pair of red Goldberghs that I'm excited to take for a spin. I always get black or grey pants so I'm pumped for some color!

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I generally take 2 jackets which are different colors and degrees of warmth. I have 2 pairs of pants, both black (!!!) and bring them both. Boring I know...

This season I have a 3rd exciting new jacket purchased in the spring at Aspen. I also have blue (!!!) matching ski pants. I will have to see where they fit in my scheme of outerwear, but I know that I will spend a lot of time wearing my new jacket!!!

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
For the first 30 years I skied, I had just one jacket and matching pants. But, when I started racing about 20 years ago, skiing was not an option and we raced in all conditions, so I've acquired three different weights of jackets and two of pants (mostly black). I have all three weights of jackets in both the Carolinas and in Vermont. When I started racing, the club helped everyone buy the super warm team jacket, a purplish-blue Spyder one that goes absolutely everywhere with me. On both ends I have a nice red jacket (can be matched every year) an Atomic down south and a Marmot in Vermont. Then, depending upon whether waterproofing is required, I have several light weight jackets of both on both ends. I'm a practical mouse who needs to be warm/comfortable.

IKam

Certified Ski Diva
I love my ski jacket because it has underarm vents, so great for warmer times and then they can be zipped up when I'm on the chair. Anyway, I find that it's way too difficult to locate another perfect jacket to have more than one. Also, since skiing involves traveling, I don't want to get loaded down with too much luggage.

FayGoneAstray

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wear the same insulated jacket and pants - only because I only have one set of ski clothes! I bought some white pants on sale to change it up but I HATE them with a passion as they look dirty all of the time- the moment I leave my car they get dirt and grime on them. I just bought my first shell on sale and new bright pants so I hopefully can change it up. Not sure about the transition to a shell...

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I switch the pants far more often than the jacket, but I do have options.

Jackets - two shells (one black, one orange), one navy heavy duty down, and one raspberry spring.
Pants - a couple shell, one insulated, one bib.

Recently, I have been easy to pick out with my teal helmet, but spoiler alert, I may have updated that!

We won't enumerate hats/neck warmers, 'cause that would be downright embarrassing :bolt:

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
More true confessions:

I just scored a new Stio shell that I absolutely do not need, but I LOVE the color. I think of it as a "true" purple. Like Nehi Grape Soda purple. How could I resist that? Plus, it was on sale. @marzNC has a pair of pants the same color and I've always envied them (good thing she's 7 inches shorter than me).

My favorite jacket for cold days is an insulated North Face jacket that was designed specifically for patrollers and instructors. I got it through PSIA. It is a two-tone blue w/all the bells and whistles. Most importantly, it has a zippered exterior pocket in the back that is perfect for carrying my ballcap (I hate helmet head & need to hide it whenever I stop for lunch or après).

On foggy days (we have a lot of those in the mid-Atlantic) I have a 5 or 6 year-old neon yellow Spyder insulated jacket that can be seen from space. It came in very handy out in Whitefish MT which sees more than its fair share of dense fog conditions.

Other selections include:
- Arcteryx shell (bright orange) - its a bit big, but the sale price was extraordinary;
- Helly Hanson shell (HH blue) - also useful for boating;
- Helly Hanson insulated (HH blue) - this was an emergency buy when I discovered on the plane that I'd forgotten to pack my jacket;
- Black Diamond insulated (basic black). Purchased for around town, but has come in handy on the slopes too;
- Stio shell (navy blue)
- Roxy insulated pullover (black). Impulse buy. Unfortunately, my arms freeze in this jacket. It is destined for the ski swaps next year, or maybe a Xmas gift for a non-skier pal;
- Circa 1985, Obermeyer insanely patterned pullover (white, black, tan). I'm very emotionally attached;
- Circa 2000, Phenix insulated (white & black). Removable sleeves & hood. I use this for retro days.
- Lastly, my beloved Marmot insulated (teal/blue) has been retired for boating and kicking around use.
The oil stains from the lifts have made a mess of it. I adored this jacket - only downside is the hood is not removable.

At the swaps this year I sold a bunch of brand new jackets in various sizes w/tags still on. I shopped the online sales last year and got some amazing bargains and doubled my investment at the swaps.

Jilly

Staff member
- Circa 2000, Phenix insulated (white & black). Removable sleeves & hood. I use this for retro days.

I have one like that but red and grey. Pants were grey. DH wore it after I did. It was our ski school uniform. I keep for snow blowing days.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna