• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Do you always ski in the same jacket, or switch from one to another?

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm asking this because I know people who always wear the exact same ski jacket and pants when they ski. It's a part of their identity. They may have a Plan B jacket for especially cold days, or Plan C for especially warm spring days. But for the most part, they choose to be consistent.

And I know others who switch around without needing weather changes as a reason. It's sort of like wearing different clothes to work each day.

Where do you fall on this spectrum?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Fun thread. :smile:
I tend to switch up, but the majority of my male ski pals are very consistent (as are many men??). Same stuff, maybe a lighter jacket in warmer weather, otherwise the same - and for YEARS, haha. (They tend to be the same way with skis - AND boots! :eek: I NAG them to get new boots!)(And then they thank me?)

knolan12

Angel Diva
I always wear the same thing, but have switched up the "outfit" every few years so I do have a few different jackets and pants and could mix and match if I wanted to. Honestly, I think if I switched up my outfit each time I skiied, my husband would lose me on the mountain cuz he'd think I was wearing something else hahaha

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For the majority of the season I wear my insulated jacket. Then in the spring or on warmer days in general I wear my shell jacket. I have tons of different ski pants so I mix and match those throughout the season--but usually I just pick 3-5 pairs each season that I use to mix and match (so I have fewer to wash when the season ends). I think last year I only used one pair of pants for the whole season, but I skied less last year so why dirty up multiple pairs of pants.

newboots

Angel Diva
I only have one jacket, purple. I have a pink rain jacket I can wear in the spring.

I switch up my pants - gray Marmots (baggy but great if I want an extra layer beneath), turquoise girly-fit Strafes (no room for extra layers!), and black pants bought when I arrived at the mountain in another state without any. :bag:

marzNC

Angel Diva
I used to have one ski jacket for the southeast and another for trips out west. After starting to ski more than 10 days a season--and hanging around here--I have ended up with far more than two ski jackets. Same for ski pants. I buy stuff like that on sale shopping in person when I'm in ski country. Even for ski trips out west I may bring more than one jacket, especially for late season trips. I've left an RFID card in the "other jacket" more than once at Alta in April.

Fifteen years ago I started out two pairs of ski pants, one insulated (not that warm) and then a good pair of shell pants that I had professionally shortened. I was only skiing in the southeast 2004-07. During Diva West in 2010, it was cold. I lucked out and found a pair of good insulated pants that fit well (petite). Still bring them when I think it may be frigid out west (single digits), but normally wear shell pants these days since I ski far more off-piste than 5-6 years ago.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I used to be very consistent, though would also switch with whether. Last season I decided to start switching it up more. I like to be more anonymous on the mountain sometimes. Haha Last season I had a bunch of people I didn’t know randomly saying hi on the mountain from Sunday River social media groups. They would recognize my outfit from pictures I guess, and knew me by name. It was a little disconcerting because, especially with masks, I had no idea who they were and had never met in real life before anyway so even without masks I wouldn’t have know. Then I felt awkward asking who they were.

I do like being able to find people I actually know based on attire though, and vice versa. So it’s a toss up.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh boy! I have multiples of everything! Different white jackets, different color jackets, different color pants ….. you name it! This allows some of my friends to give me a rash of grief that they never know who they are looking for! I keep finding stuff on sale. Since my rule for as much as possible is never pay retail!

Jilly

Staff member
I have 2 suits, but can't get into one right now. So it's one jacket and pants.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Uh oh, I am one that never wears the same ski clothing consecutively. I own more clothes combinations than I have actual days to ski in them! I ski with a guy that owns two outfits and skis in just his newer one.
I like that I can always know where he is on the hill by looking for that favorite outfit.

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I usually wear one for cold and one for warm - but I didn’t need a jacket this year but saw one I REALLY wanted and bought it- so now I might switch it up more. I actually have three warm ones in good shape now. But I really need new pants- mine wore out their waterproofing and treating them only marginally helped.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I tend to wear the same thing but it really depends on conditions, where I'm skiing, and how long the trip is. I change up the base layers more often.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've worn the same teal jacket almost every ski day for the past two and a bit years. At the end of this season I bought a new yellow jacket so going forward, I will switch between those as I feel like it. (still love the teal) I got a private lesson at the end of the season on the first or second day that I wore the yellow jacket, and when I saw my instructor waiting in the usual spot, I had to walk RIGHT up to him and wave my skis in his face before he realised it was me. He was looking for the teal jacket because it's all I've worn for years!

They are both shell jackets though; I can't really handle insulated jackets because it's not very cold where I ski, and I run pretty hot while I'm on the slopes moving around.

I also have multiple colours of ski pants... I could probably do with a neutral coloured pair of pants/bibs as well, black or dark grey maybe, to contrast against my bright jackets :P

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yesterday I finally got rid of my heavily insulated orange jacket that I wore through the late 90s-early 00s, and still feel a little sad about letting it go.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I love this thread! I am the kind of person who would want to mix it up, but I’m also an anxious mother, so I wear the same thing at present so that my kids can always find me and so that I can wander away from them without worrying that they can spot me from anywhere.

I figure they are fine without me at 12 and 9, but also want them to know I’m there if they need me.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have tried to switch it up more but one outfit always ends up being my favorite so I am usually in that. I have tried to buy the same pants in the same size in another color but even then they didn’t fit identically so I have ended up in the original pair more. I have a low need for variety apparently…

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna