• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Got my COVID vaccine

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Me too, but it feels extremely far away for me..

This is exactly how I feel. I somehow survived summer and fall not catching it working as a cashier in a grocery store. Just hope my luck holds out until the vaccine becomes available to me. I’m hoping maybe by summer??

MissySki

Angel Diva
This is exactly how I feel. I somehow survived summer and fall not catching it working as a cashier in a grocery store. Just hope my luck holds out until the vaccine becomes available to me. I’m hoping maybe by summer??

Are you still working at the grocery store? If so, that might qualify you in the essential category if your state is designating something like that. In MA the essential workers are part of the second grouping I believe. I’m in the third category of general availability after pretty much everyone haha.. 30s, working from home, no medical conditions, not a student, etc. is way the heck down on the priority list. This is supposedly slated to be sometime April-June, so I’m hoping summer-fall sometime. Though if for some reason I’m offered it anytime before then I wouldn’t say no.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here is another where the 2nd shingles shot laid me out for two days, same with my husband. I had shingles in my 30's, when it was very itchy, but that was it.

I'm wondering how to time getting the shots if you live with other people. I'm not clear on whether you can infect others BECAUSE OF THE SHOT or you could still pick it up in the supermarket? The latter doesn't concern me, but the former does. I really think with potential side effects we don't both want to be feeling lousy simultaneously, but I'd hate to have to wear a mask in the home and have to act like I'm isolating. Does anyone know?

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are you still working at the grocery store? If so, that might qualify you in the essential category if your state is designating something like that. In MA the essential workers are part of the second grouping I believe. I’m in the third category of general availability after pretty much everyone haha.. 30s, working from home, no medical conditions, not a student, etc. is way the heck down on the priority list. This is supposedly slated to be sometime April-June, so I’m hoping summer-fall sometime. Though if for some reason I’m offered it anytime before then I wouldn’t say no.

I am. I took the back half of fall semester off because it started interfering with school between my heavy course load and honors project, but I go back the 10th of Jan. I am not thrilled about it and don’t really need the money, although it’s helpful with loans, but they’re short staffed, and I hate to leave them in the lurch. However, the pay is definitely not with the risk, IMO.

I am essential technically, but PA hasn’t put out much yet in the way of specifics there. I’m assuming we’re pretty far down the priority list.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I'm wondering how to time getting the shots if you live with other people. I'm not clear on whether you can infect others BECAUSE OF THE SHOT or you could still pick it up in the supermarket? The latter doesn't concern me, but the former does. I really think with potential side effects we don't both want to be feeling lousy simultaneously, but I'd hate to have to wear a mask in the home and have to act like I'm isolating. Does anyone know?

I don’t have any first hand knowledge, but my husband got his shot last week and has basically proceeded with his home life as usual. I absolutely trust that if he had any concern about infecting me because of the shot, he would have isolated and/or gotten a hotel for a couple of weeks!

For him, side effects included a painful shoulder for one day and feeling a little more tired than usual.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Here's what I understand based on what I was told and the literature I was given when I received the Pfizer vaccine:

You can't infect others because of the shot itself because it doesn't contain the virus; the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines contain just one of the virus' proteins. (Evidently, that's all you need to create memory cells that will attack the virus if it enters your system? Cellular pathology is very much not my wheelhouse.)

However, you can potentially still acquire and spread the virus even when vaccinated, which is why they say that you still have to mask and distance even after getting both rounds of the shot. My understanding is that this is because researchers have only studied whether the vaccine keeps people from getting sick, rather than whether they are carrying the virus.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I am. I took the back half of fall semester off because it started interfering with school between my heavy course load and honors project, but I go back the 10th of Jan. I am not thrilled about it and don’t really need the money, although it’s helpful with loans, but they’re short staffed, and I hate to leave them in the lurch. However, the pay is definitely not with the risk, IMO.

I am essential technically, but PA hasn’t put out much yet in the way of specifics there. I’m assuming we’re pretty far down the priority list.

Well hopefully you all are higher on the list than you think, you should be!

Jilly

Staff member
Here's what I understand based on what I was told and the literature I was given when I received the Pfizer vaccine:

You can't infect others because of the shot itself because it doesn't contain the virus; the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines contain just one of the virus' proteins. (Evidently, that's all you need to create memory cells that will attack the virus if it enters your system? Cellular pathology is very much not my wheelhouse.)

However, you can potentially still acquire and spread the virus even when vaccinated, which is why they say that you still have to mask and distance even after getting both rounds of the shot. My understanding is that this is because researchers have only studied whether the vaccine keeps people from getting sick, rather than whether they are carrying the virus.

This is what they are telling us in Canada too.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well hopefully you all are higher on the list than you think, you should be!

I just found a more detailed plan put out in early December... assuming we're included in the "Food and Agriculture Sector," then we're in Phase 1B. But PA then goes on to say this about that category: "Meat processing and other food processing facility workers." If that's their limited definition of food and agriculture, then that would put grocery workers in general population, b/c we're not mentioned anywhere else in the plan.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I just found a more detailed plan put out in early December... assuming we're included in the "Food and Agriculture Sector," then we're in Phase 1B. But PA then goes on to say this about that category: "Meat processing and other food processing facility workers." If that's their limited definition of food and agriculture, then that would put grocery workers in general population, b/c we're not mentioned anywhere else in the plan.

That sure is limited.. hopefully it’ll be expanded!

Tvan

Angel Diva
Based on the guidance published by the CDC today, it looks like I will be able to have the mRNA vaccine when my turn comes. I need to confirm with my doctor, but I'm hopeful. What a relief this is to me!

newboots

Angel Diva
Wahoo! So glad for you, and for your parents.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
View attachment 15169

Shot #2! Expect serious whining tomorrow if I get the @SallyCat version of side effects. I’m swinging my arm as we speak.

@Jenny - swing your arm around for less soreness!

Good luck! I get my second shot April 1, and while I'm looking forward to getting vaccinated, I'm not looking forward to the potential side effects. Still, better than getting the virus.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna