• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Best Ski Cars?

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't make specific vehicle suggestions, but our 2008 Outback XT has turbo.Unlike a normally aspirated engine, a turbo doesn't suffer from performance issues at altitude. It makes a *big* difference driving mountain highways.

No idea if it's available in any modern vehicles.

I think you can get that same motor in the Forrester now. I just can't do those seats.

vtgal7thgen

Certified Ski Diva
after many many test drives in 2015 and a few tearful thoughts of finally giving up my 2004 BMW X3, we settled on a 2016 Subaru Crosstrek. Had planned on getting it this past summer but the BMW finally had that "unexpected and more expensive than it's worth to fix" repair in January and I drove to work in one car, and drove another one home that day! I LOVE the Crosstrek. Perfect size for our family of 3, we just add a Thule box on top when we need more storage space and for all of ski season to keep snowboards and skis clean from road grime and us away from melting snow on the bindings. Awesome gas mileage and handling. I got the cold weather package and leather seats...some things that I learned long ago make winter and kids making messes far more tolerable. WeatherTech floormats were the other "necessity", haha. I would highly recommend the Crosstrek- I am getting 36mpg on Vermont secondary highways all year so far, and I have just the regular engine, not the hybrid.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't make specific vehicle suggestions, but our 2008 Outback XT has turbo.Unlike a normally aspirated engine, a turbo doesn't suffer from performance issues at altitude. It makes a *big* difference driving mountain highways.

No idea if it's available in any modern vehicles.
The Alltrack has Turbo. I don't know a thing about cars, but this is the first Turbo I've had. Twenty years ago (more?) Turbo had a huge lag I hated. I had been told they are better now and when I test drove this car it only had a minimal lag. My old Avant was a six cylinder and I never have had issues with it, but not sure if it's ever been over six thousand feet or so. It only gets up to around 5k here.

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just saw that Toyota is dropping the price delta for hybrid significantly on their 2017 Highlander.

I'm feeling pretty enticed by a good sized SUV that gets 30MPG! It's a little more than I was thinking about spending but if I'm protecting the future of skiing it's worth it right? (Don't worry- I'm paying cash either way- I just lean towards being frugal.)

cheerrabbit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Go on dealerships websites and ask for prices. I heard that Truecar and Edmunds charge dealerships for their use. I used their websites for Colorado Subaru (I think I contacted 7-9 dealerships from Ft. Collins to Colorado Springs). With no negotiation, we got 14% below MSRP. Not sure if Toyota works the same, but worth a shot.
We like our Toyotas. I have a 2006 Corolla going strong with over 240,000 and a 2011 Tacoma with over 100,000 (we drive a lot!).

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Moonrocket I have lots of friends who love their Outbacks. We rented a Ford Edge in Tahoe a few years ago and it did well in some scary icy mix conditions but have heard mixed on its quality. No idea if this would work for getting your mom in and out but you might want to check out the Kia Sorento. They have all wheel drive models if 4WD isn't mandatory for you and they're a good value.

Just rode in my friend's new one a month or so ago and it had really comfy seats and a very smooth ride. Much better than ride than the Highlander IMO which I used to think was uber comfortable compared to our burlier/truck platform 4Runner -- until I met the Sorrento. More on it here: https://www.motortrend.com/cars/kia/sorento/2016/

I have a 2012 Optima EX which replaced my well-loved and super fun to drive VW Passat Turbo, and the Kia has been trouble free from day one. Also has 100K/10 year warranty. Because they are a lesser known brand Kia was trying to get market share from others so mine has memory drivers seat, heated steering wheel, heated and cooled front seats, and a back-up camera which is great for city parking when needed -- all at a much lower price point compared to other brands with similar options.

Kia is trying to get the Sorento to compete with the Highlander, etc., so perhaps it's worth checking out -- especially if comfort is important to you.

ski_hat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Go on dealerships websites and ask for prices. I heard that Truecar and Edmunds charge dealerships for their use. I used their websites for Colorado Subaru (I think I contacted 7-9 dealerships from Ft. Collins to Colorado Springs). With no negotiation, we got 14% below MSRP. Not sure if Toyota works the same, but worth a shot.
We like our Toyotas. I have a 2006 Corolla going strong with over 240,000 and a 2011 Tacoma with over 100,000 (we drive a lot!).

If you're a Costco member, consider going through Costco auto!! I've purchased two vehicles through them (including our current Subaru Forester, which we love!!), and they take care of the car negotiating for you. You basically tell them the car you're thinking about, they set you up with a dealer, and the dealer tells you the Costco membership price for the car.

I compared that price with Truecar, and it was the same - quite a significant savings! And there are some other perks as well in the form of coupons, etc.

JacksonJoanne

Diva in Training
Another Subaru fan here. I'm on my 4th Outback and have no complaints. I had an Audi A4 Quattro before these and it was in for service frequently. The dealership refused to stand behind it, even falsifying the actual delivery date so they didn't have to cover a warranty issue near the end of the 4 year warranty period. Subarus ever since!

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Another Subaru fan here. I'm on my 4th Outback and have no complaints. I had an Audi A4 Quattro before these and it was in for service frequently. The dealership refused to stand behind it, even falsifying the actual delivery date so they didn't have to cover a warranty issue near the end of the 4 year warranty period. Subarus ever since!

Wow, that is an awful Audi dealership! Back in 2009 we bought a 2007 certified pre-owned Audi A4 Quattro - it now has 155K miles on it and we just handed it down to our teenage daughter. Other than recently welding an exhaust leak, and replacing a coil or two, everything has been standard maintenance.

For a family car we just don't all fit in a Subaru, but they seem to be the state car of VT (where I grew up and where my heart lives).

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've had my second Audi for 18 years. It's an Audi A4 Avant Quattro, 1998. I went through a bad period with it when I moved to the Audi dealer in Montana (New Jersey guy was pricey, but great and it was the reason I bought a second car from them.) After I left the dealer here in a HUGE FIGHT, I found a good mechanic who went through my service records and showed that not only was the dealer incompetent (the reason for the fight) but was also basically a crook. Had another eight years with the car with him. It's basically still running, but showing its age, so I replaced it with a VW. Hope I have good luck with it.

Christy

Angel Diva
Let's talk ski/hiking cars again! Has anyone bought a new ski car recently? Even better, anyone bought a hybrid ski car recently?

We are looking to replace our 2010 Prius with a car that does everything. Great mileage (we're pretty set on a plug in hybrid at this point, and have an appointment to get an EV charger in our garage), good city car (so not too big), good for skiing and driving on rough Forest Service roads (so, AWD and decent clearance), great safety rating, comfy inside, quiet (this is actually pretty important--I'm tired of having to crank podcasts to hear them over the Prius's road noise), reliable. I've always been very practical about cars (we are Toyota people, and nothing ever goes wrong with them) but dammit I've never had a really nice car and am finding myself very tempted by the Audi A5 plug in hybrid. So @sibhusky and @lisamamot it was interesting to read your posts above about how reliable your Audis have been. I did see that Consumer Reports says the (regular) A5 is reliably reliable (ha) but they don't review the plug in hybrid. But are they a little...ostentatious? I have a hard time thinking about leaving a luxury car at a trailhead and going backpacking for a few days.

Then there is the Subaru Crosstrek plug in, and the Toyota Venza, which ticks most of the boxes, but it isn't a plug in, and only gets 40/37 mpg, which isn't that great.

We plan on keeping our Highlander because it tows the boat, though I also see that A5 can tow 4400 lbs which is impressive. But I hate driving it in general as the gas mileage is abysmal. Just going to Crystal takes the better part of a tank of gas.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Have you looked at the Q5 e which is a PHEV? I have been eyeing it for my next car whenever I feel Fancy, but not sure the electric range makes too much sense for me as a commuter vehicle unless my work garage gets EV chargers installed. It seems like a fifth of the cars at Sugarbush these days are Audi Q5s or Q7s.

As another data point, my MIL just bought the Crosstrek PHEV and it’s been significantly better on our hilly dirt roads than the Honda Clarity that she traded in. I suggested she look at it after she tried the RAV4 and hated it.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I should be taking delivery of a new car tomorrow. I, who have been a DIE HARD Volvo fan for years, have leased a 2021 Subaru Outback.

First, let me say that a new car wasn't even on my radar. I had 160,000 miles on my 2009 Volvo and had no expensive repairs in the 11 years I owned it. With Covid impacts, I wanted to ride it out until 4th quarter 2021, when I could be in a better financial position to get a new car.

Ha! A very expensive, unexpected, fatal flaw. So, I was thrust into the market for a new car.

My requirements. I'm short, so I need a power driver's seat. We do a lot of long trips, so I need a comfortable passenger seat. It's subjective, but some of the cars just feel like I am sitting in a hole. We need to tow at least 2500#. Wanted a car that would be able to hold at least 175# on the roof rack for the Kayaks and Hullavators. Can't use an electric vehicle due to long trips and lack of charging stations in the vicinity. Hybrid isn't practical for me because most of my driving is not city driving, plus, I'm not convinced that batteries are environmentally friendly. And hybrid cars don't tow as much as a gasoline car. I wanted a car that would lease for under $350 per month, so with lots of variables, here were my choices.

1. Volvo XC40. Great car. Quiet. Solid. Lots of safety features. Tows 3500#. It made me smile when I drove it. Very small cargo area compared to the others. Leases well. I would have to pay $1500 for a trailer hitch and about $600 for the new thule towers and fit kit up front. Yikes. Let's think about this.
2. Jeep Cherokee. Also very quiet and comfortable. Towing was 2000# unless it came with a factory installed tow package, then it tows at least 3500#. No Jeeps with tow packages in my price range in the Northeast.
3. VW Tiguan. I could put my Thule Hullavators on the top with no additional expense of towers and fit kits. Very comfortable. Good size cargo space. Decent power. Towing only 1500# was a deal breaker for me.
4. Toyota RAV4. Sorry RAV4 fans. It's noisy and underpowered. Those little hamsters were about to have a heart attack when I accelerated. The passenger seat was extremely uncomfortable with no tilt of the seat surface (only the back)
5. Mazda CX5 Nice car but very limited visibility out the back windows with headrests and roof pillars. I didn't feel safe.

So, the Subaru Outback it is. Comfortable. Tows 2700#. Roof rack will definitely not accommodate our Hullavators, but we decided that we can use the J racks for a while. Not as quiet as the Jeep or Volvo, but much quieter than the others.

Hope this helps. I'll post a photo when I take delivery.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I will be following this, always interested in what other Diva's are driving in the mountains. The conundrum is wanting the nicer ride, but needing the ruggedness for off road trails.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm on my 15th or 16th Subaru Outback. I get the 4cylinder. I get 27-32MPG. Only 1 in all these subarus had a bad catalytic converter. I just traded my 2016 for a 2020- discounted to 25K and 0% financing!!

I do put studded Snows on for where I live and still getting high mileage.

Christy

Angel Diva
Have you looked at the Q5 e which is a PHEV?
Yeah that's the one I'm talking about.

As another data point, my MIL just bought the Crosstrek PHEV and it’s been significantly better on our hilly dirt roads than the Honda Clarity that she traded in.

Good to know. The Crosstrek gets 90 mpg vs the Audi's 50, so that is appealing. It has a little more ground clearance too (8.7" vs the Audi's 8") though the 8" should be fine. Our USFS roads can be a real mess of rocks, potholes, gullies, etc.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga