• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Best Ski Cars?

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I test drove the Edge 4 years ago and was pretty impressed. DH didn't buy it because he found an Audi A4 station wagon with standard transmission at a price he couldn't say no. I like his Audi, too. Really a fun car to drive and it's not bad in the snow either. Very low ground clearance won't work on some of the rough roads to our kayaking put-in.

If you seriously like the Edge, check out the Lincoln MKX. It's the cousin of the Edge with lots of upgrades.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One more thing. If you could wait for a while, the VW Tiguan is coming out with an extended version in the next year. They don't know if it will be MY17 or MY18. My German friend had the opportunity to see it and decided to buy one when it is available.

We looked at Edges for Michael bought his Nissan Rogue. I was blown away at how expensive they were so we never test drove one. I loved the look of them though. They look like they are a good size. Sounds like a good plan to take advantage of the depreciation and get a new one at a great price.

Mary Tee

Angel Diva
I have the 2014 Edge, and am less than thrilled. It is expensive, and mechanically seems fine. I have had problems with the electronics...radio, navigation etc. If it was my laptop, I would reboot and all would be fine, but there is no simple fix. Also, beware if you are looking at the panoramic roof. It looks really cool, but you can't put a roof rack on it. And the rear window does not open independent of the hatch. Between the lack of a roof rack and the non opening window, there is no way for me to transport my kayak or paddle board, so I will probably be trading it in next spring. I have been a ford girl since the 90's, and have no idea where I will go from here.

Jilly

Staff member
I hear you on the back window. My Equinox doesn't open either. But I can get anything on top as I always get the factory racks. I had to add a trailer hitch this go round with my 2013. Miss my sun roof. It worked well on the last one.

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the 2014 Edge, and am less than thrilled. It is expensive, and mechanically seems fine. I have had problems with the electronics...radio, navigation etc. If it was my laptop, I would reboot and all would be fine, but there is no simple fix. Also, beware if you are looking at the panoramic roof. It looks really cool, but you can't put a roof rack on it. And the rear window does not open independent of the hatch. Between the lack of a roof rack and the non opening window, there is no way for me to transport my kayak or paddle board, so I will probably be trading it in next spring. I have been a ford girl since the 90's, and have no idea where I will go from here.

Thank you!

I've heard the 2016 electronics are much improved- I hope!

I will have to make sure if I go this route I skip the panoramic roof for a rack and I've read you can't add a hitch to the sport versions.

My list is getting complicated!

Any other things to watch out for?

I appreciate the first hand knowledge. I got a year old rental 4Runner from the auction that was fabulous for years- so might try the same thing here- looks like they are popular rentals.

ETA do you have a hitch? If transporting kayak/ Paddle board is your big issue maybe you could get a hitch mount rack?

Last edited:

Tvan

Angel Diva
Speaking of Highlanders... I know that lots of people like the Toyota Highlander. I had a 2006 Highlander that was hands down the worst car I ever drove in the snow. The center of gravity was too high for the weight of the car and there was zero traction. I have a long, steep, narrow driveway. I got rid of that car the second time it went down my driveway sideways...WITH the snow tires on!

Been a Subaru driver ever since. My Subarus have been like little mountain goats on my driveway.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like my VW Jetta Sportwagen. It had to meet three requirements for me: 1. low enough height so I could load equipment onto the roof by myself, 2. a hatchback for protection from rain when changing after a paddle/bike ride. and 3. Long and flat enough to sleep in if necessary (I'm 5'8" and a shameless dirtbag). I didn't want to pay the gas penalty for AWD, which kept me from looking more closely at Subarus.

I liked the very high safety rating as well. The only thing I don't like is the low ground clearance, so I have to be slow and careful on rutted/gravel roads, which are rare for me anyway. But if I lived someplace where I drove on unpaved roads more frequently, it would be a significant issue.

I got some Bridgestone Blizzaks for the winter, which are gloriously, monstrously overkill for Pennsylvania, but should get me around Vermont and New Hampshire safely. And if we get some snow days, maybe they'll get me to Blue ahead of the crowds! :becky:

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Decent ground clearance and low roof height is a tough to find in one car. I can relate to your wanting this, I'd like it too. My Outback roof is too tall for me to reach unless I use a step stool.

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I don't know if this helps you- but I found this in my research https://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/1890-yakima-q-towers-and-bamr/

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The link you posted shows that there is a configuration that a guy is using, but Yakima does not recommend that for an Edge. I think I know the reason why. I had a 1999 Volvo with no cross bars. The official solution (Thule and Volvo) was a rack that clipped into the door frame similar to what the EdgeForum guy suggested.

Here is the difference. The Volvo door frame had a dimple in the sheet metal where the rack attached on the door. This dimple served two purposes. First, it showed you where to put the rack, as there was additional support for the weight of the box under the sheet metal of the roof. Second, when the rack was clamped down properly, the dimple was enough to hold the rack in place in the event of a sudden braking or forward collision.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't do what the guy in the FordEdge forum did, but I want to point out a couple of dangers that he didn't mention.

In the event of a frontal impact, your cargo box will continue moving at speed. There is nothing but friction to hold the rack to the car. I have seen kayaks on a rack go sliding forward, off the car, rack and all, and into oncoming traffic because the rack was not tightened enough on the flush cross bars. Maybe the length of the window frame on the Edge is enough. I don't know.

I don't know the laws in your state, but if you do not secure a load properly in New York, "...a motorist who fails to secure his or her load can be charged with a misdemeanor, a criminal offense, and be even given up to 30 days in jail. Further, that motorist can be personally sued if he or she negligently secured their load and it causes death or serious injury..." This was the ruling of case of a person who didn't secure a mattress on top of their car. Who knew? Also, on some insurance policies, your insurance can be void if you are in violation.

Finally, the saying, "A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link" applies here. Yes, the roof may support 100# (and I believe that there is an engineering tolerance built in anyway), but where? On the sheet metal or on the frame or on the plastic cargo bars? How much does your box weigh? Mine is 42 pounds. Add the rack and crossbars and mounts? You aren't going to be able to put suitcases up there. Skis, poles, coats - sure.

I like that you are doing all the research. You will find the right car eventually.

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm replacing my 1998 Audi A4 Avant with a Golf Alltrack. Can't wait!
View attachment 6179
Nice!! Was just talking to someone the other day about how there is some configuration of the Golf for anyone, and it's usually the first car I suggest to someone who is in the market. (I drive it's twin, the Audi A3)

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I'm replacing my 1998 Audi A4 Avant with a Golf Alltrack. Can't wait!
View attachment 6179
Is the Golf Alltrack new for 2017? I've noticed in Europe there are all kinds of VW's that are NOT in the US. I mean lots of different ones. BTW, I have (not a ski car at all) a VW new beetle black convertible..... but prior to that drove a Honda Passport 4WD and a Volvo prior to that. Back in the days we had to put chains on the Volvo. BF drives a Subaru Outback so we usually take his car and if I'm on my own I just fly to Reno. It's cheap and 45 min gate to gate.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, it's new to the US. I drove a relative of it four years back in Austria and loved it. Came home to find there was no way to get it here. Couldn't believe my "perfect car" was unobtainable. Even contacted a dealer up in Alberta about it.

Now last year, the Golf Sportwagen was available, but didn't have AWD. 2017 it will have that option. This version (Alltrack) is almost identical to the Sportwagen (and in Canada is just an extension of the Sportwagen line) but with more ground clearance, a larger gas tank, a Sport Mode (with Hill Descent control) and a DSG. There some cosmetic stuff as well, but it's basically the same as the AWD Sportwagen.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I've got a 2015 Outback and just purchased some steel rims and Blizzak tires for snow. My local roads are terribly plowed and often have many snowdrifts across them. I'm psyched to turn my Outback into a winter assault vehicle. :thumbsup:

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was at my dealer's getting a recall part taken care, and was looking at the new Legacy. I do like a sedan with a trunk in general, and it's a very nice car.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't make specific vehicle suggestions, but our 2008 Outback XT has turbo.Unlike a normally aspirated engine, a turbo doesn't suffer from performance issues at altitude. It makes a *big* difference driving mountain highways.

No idea if it's available in any modern vehicles.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna