• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Best Ski Cars?

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My brother lives in Baton Rouge, where they close the schools if the temperature is 32 degrees. He claims that everyone in Vermont would walk if they didn't have a Subaru dealer there.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What county do you live in? When I bought my CRV I got the best price through Triple A. Because the vehicle came from another county I didn't have to pay Jefferson County tax. No problems taking it to the local dealer. Rarely has my Honda been to the dealer, once for a cracked windshield which was farmed out to a windshield company and most recently for the airbag recall. All other work has been handled by nearby companies for oil changes, brakes, body work, etc. My SO chooses locations that he can easily bicycle to. BTW, my local Honda dealer farmed out the body work that need to be done when it was hit in a parking lot.

dancingspark

Certified Ski Diva
Subaru owner also--Forester '10. I'm casting a vote for a Subaru car of any sort...they are so reliable.

As a side note, I've seen more Subarus here in CO than any other state I've lived in!

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Subaru Outback here as well, based in Revelstoke. Most of our neighbours seem to have Subarus as well.

A related question - does anyone in BC or the Pacific North-west have recommendations for snow tires?

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What county do you live in? When I bought my CRV I got the best price through Triple A. Because the vehicle came from another county I didn't have to pay Jefferson County tax. No problems taking it to the local dealer. Rarely has my Honda been to the dealer, once for a cracked windshield which was farmed out to a windshield company and most recently for the airbag recall. All other work has been handled by nearby companies for oil changes, brakes, body work, etc. My SO chooses locations that he can easily bicycle to. BTW, my local Honda dealer farmed out the body work that need to be done when it was hit in a parking lot.

I'm in Boulder County within Longmont city limits. I wonder if I can register to our town home in Grand County :-). That's where I'd like to be all of the time :-)

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Subaru owner also--Forester '10. I'm casting a vote for a Subaru car of any sort...they are so reliable.

As a side note, I've seen more Subarus here in CO than any other state I've lived in!

I test drove a Forster and my back did not like the seats at all! No idea why- but it's out.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Moonrocket I didn't like how the Forester felt either! it seems like those seats are straighter.. I also wish the passenger seat had the same adjustments the driver seat has. there's even a button to push and give your back extra or less support!! and I'm spoiled with the heated seats and mirros. I had imprezas then went to Outbacks.. I do like that the cross bars on the outback (and impreza) can be switched from vertical to horizontal they are fixed on the cross trek I think. I've had no problem putting canoes, ski racks and other 'stuff' on top..

Subaru sends questionaires to past owners and my 2016 has all the features I loved in prior cars.. they do listen to the customers..

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maybe I missed this, but are you buying new or used? We have a 2008 Outback, which is more the wagon style. Sometime in the last few years the Outbacks became more of a crossover and sit higher than the older ones. The nice thing is that it's low enough that it's easy to get in and out of the box on top without having to climb on the wheels. Also worth noting is that the crossbars on the rack are adjustable in the 08.

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Subaru Outback here as well, based in Revelstoke. Most of our neighbours seem to have Subarus as well.

A related question - does anyone in BC or the Pacific North-west have recommendations for snow tires?
We are not BC or PNW, but our roads to Tahoe are steeeeeep and windy. I had to ask SO what snow tires we have and his response was: "Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT." Hope that helps!

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm in Boulder County within Longmont city limits. I wonder if I can register to our town home in Grand County :-). That's where I'd like to be all of the time :-)
I didn't change my registration, just bought in a different county. My SO was registered in Summit where our condo is but then he didn't get to vote for local issues and candidates. Colorado taxes are weird. Each county and locale have different taxes so my SO is always trying to figure out who has the lowest taxes. If you buy from a dealer in JeffCo who is not licensed to collect taxes for Boulder County you won't pay Boulder County tax. You also have to have the item delivered to you in your county. My car came from Boulder County but was delivered to me to take possession in Lakewood by AAA. Therefore, I did not pay Boulder County tax. We bought a piece of furniture for our condo here in Denver, had it delivered to the condo in Summit County and did not pay Denver tax on the furniture. If you are a AAA member, they can give you clarification. BTW, I was impressed with the service I got from AAA. No running around to car dealerships or dealing with salesmen. The price they got me was better than the quotes I had gotten on my own. Didn't get the color I wanted but that wasn't so important. Bottom line buy from a dealer that's not licensed in your county

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva

I bought Bridgestone Blizzaks at Costco for a ridiculously good price - and I've driven them all over Alberta and BC and am really happy with them. I'm actually on my second pair.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
+1 for Blizzaks. DH has them on his Audi.

I love my goodyear wrangler duratracs. Traction control hasn't once come on since i got these babies.

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maybe I missed this, but are you buying new or used? We have a 2008 Outback, which is more the wagon style. Sometime in the last few years the Outbacks became more of a crossover and sit higher than the older ones. The nice thing is that it's low enough that it's easy to get in and out of the box on top without having to climb on the wheels. Also worth noting is that the crossbars on the rack are adjustable in the 08.

I'm probably going to buy new. I'm not the best driver- so all of the new safety features appeal to me!

DH is pretty sure his next vehicle will be the Honda CRV

Christy

Angel Diva
https://www.motortrend.com/news/10-cool-facts-about-the-all-new-2016-volvo-xc90/

Plus a higher clearance than my Jeep when in offroad mode. Expensive vehicle though.

@Moonrocket nothing wrong with being picky about your vehicle. You'll be driving it for a good long while right so might as well make sure all your boxes are checked

Wow that Volvo looks sweet. Volvos are pretty popular here. My neighbors have been diehard Volvo folks since their 16 year old daughter walked away from a terrible crash in one without a scratch. Apparently when you looked at the car afterwords you would have thought no way anyone could survive that.

The talk of cars and states made me look up this:

vQa25yl.jpg

This one is interesting too--it indicates which model of car each state bought more than any other state:

landscape-1439907556-cars-index.jpg

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Anyone have experience with a Ford Edge? I test drove a bunch this weekend and while it was totally not on my radar I really liked it. It looks like they retain value pretty poorly so there are a bunch of low mile 2016s for significantly less than new.

The mileage seems about the same as an outback 3.6r and plenty of dog room.

Jilly

Staff member
And they are bigger than the Escape. I took an Escape for a test drive and told DH absolutely not. The Chevy Equinox was bigger. I couldn't afford the Edge when I was looking 3 years ago.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna