• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Best Ski Cars?

gingerjess

Angel Diva
Wow, I just looked in the Northeast and there is nothing within 70 miles of me for a fueling station. That's in Connecticut, and the next closest is in Canada! I'm in MA, needless to say you all are way ahead of the rest of the country on that one.

Yeah... there's at least one in SF, which is home base, so that gives about a 200 mile travel radius... more if you top up in Sacramento or Truckee.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I gave away my Audi in 2017. It was showing its age. Replaced it with a 2017 Golf Alltrack.

I'm not an SUV fan. I like cars that can do U turns easily and back out of the parking places at the ski area. The Subaru Outback would have been a full foot longer than my Audi, so that was a non-starter. The Alltrack will not be offered in the US going forward, though. I've been totally happy with it so far, but with Covid it hasn't gone far. After 4 years it's only got 12k miles on it. My favorite thing is Hill Descent mode, since I live on a very icy hill.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Just rented a VW Tiguan for driving in the Colorado mountains. Handled pretty well. Was nice that the rear seats are actually in three parts. Can put down the small middle section and fit a Sportube or two, or put in a couple pairs of skis side-by-side for a day trip.

What my husband managed to snag for me in late 2020 is one of the few RAV4 Prime Plug-In Hybrids that Toyota just started selling. Almost 40 mile range on EV only, based on about 10 hours charge on 110 at home. So doing errands when I'm home is mostly without using any gas. As a hybrid, the range is 400-450 miles depending on temp and terrain. So I can do 500+ miles in a day without the issues that come up with a full EV car.

My friend has a Tesla. His daughter is about 800 miles away in Lake Placid at boarding school. During the winter he has to charge at least 4 times when driving from NC to LP. Good thing that Tesla has been putting charging stations at Sheetz stations in VA and PA, as well as Stewart's in upstate NY.

Christy

Angel Diva
What my husband managed to snag for me in late 2020 is one of the few RAV4 Prime Plug-In Hybrids that Toyota just started selling. Almost 40 mile range on EV only, based on about 10 hours charge on 110 at home. So doing errands when I'm home is mostly without using any gas. As a hybrid, the range is 400-450 miles depending on temp and terrain. So I can do 500+ miles in a day without the issues that come up with a full EV car.

The RAV4 Prime is so impressive on that front. It doesn't quite tick all the boxes for me in a couple important-to-me other ways, though I'm sorta, halfheartedly trying to keep it on the table because it is just so darn efficient, and better than its competitors in that regard. You get the full $7500 tax credit for it and its significantly less expensive than the Audi I like. I really wish the Venza came in PHEV. It really is ideal except there's no electric capability, and it only gets 40/37. After driving my Prius for so long I can't see getting less than 50 mpg.

It turns out that Subaru's PHEV (Crosstrek Hybrid) is only available in CA and the 9 other states that have CA's emissions rules. Sadly and strangely, WA is not one of those states. (They are Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, and Vermont). So that's off the table. It was likely too small (and not impressive in some other key ways) anyway--a subcompact, with the battery taking up way too much of the cargo area.

I'm a bit of a goner for this car though. In this blue. It makes me swoon.

1613272290446.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
(They are Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, and Vermont)
My husband used the Costco Auto Buying program to find a RAV4 Prime close enough for us to pick it up. It's hard to even buy a hybrid in North Carolina. I think it took 3 years before the Prius became available.

Christy

Angel Diva
My husband used the Costco Auto Buying program to find a RAV4 Prime close enough for us to pick it up. It's hard to even buy a hybrid in North Carolina. I think it took 3 years before the Prius became available.

Toyota allotted very few of the 2021s to the US, but they sent them to markets where their hybrids do well, like here.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Just rented a VW Tiguan for driving in the Colorado mountains. Handled pretty well. Was nice that the rear seats are actually in three parts. Can put down the small middle section and fit a Sportube or two, or put in a couple pairs of skis side-by-side for a day trip.
I have a VW Tiguan SEL 4Motion (AWD) full of bells and whistles that I haven't taken to the mountains yet.......... It feels quite sporty driving though, not like a SUV.....
been going with friend that has hybrid Lexus SUV (larger SUV and very nice)...

marzNC

Angel Diva
Now that Dr Pugs and I are undeniably members of the bourgeoisie, it will be a feature I will look to have in all my cars!
I've rented two SUVs this winter for ski trips. The first had a heated steering wheel. The second did not. My new RAV4 has a heated steering wheel. Definitely on the list of "mandatory" features for any future car purchase. For me, it's far more useful than heated seats living in North Carolina. :smile:

Iwannaski

Angel Diva

I thought of that after I posted. I’ll take a pic next time it’s loaded...otherwise it just looks like I left some boosters in the back of the minivan. Mind you, my children treat my car like their own personal storage area/dumpster, so, you’ll also see a lot of other random things in the car, including a kite.

Just in case, I guess.

I was thinking about it this morning though, and when 6’4” husband begins skiing with us next year, we’ll have to rethink my configuration. It might be time for a ski rack for his outback then.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Y’all should try to not be jealous of my 9 year old minivan. Carries a lot of ski stuff, though. Especially with my hacked ski stacker made out of old booster seats.
The RAV4 is a replacement for a 2007 minivan with over 300,000 miles. We still have the minivan but it's no longer up for driving trips of 500-800 miles one-way that I do going from NC to the northeast or midwest. Took a few years to convince DH that it was time to get a new long-distance vehicle now that our daughter is in college. :smile:

Christy

Angel Diva
Y’all should try to not be jealous of my 9 year old minivan. Carries a lot of ski stuff, though. Especially with my hacked ski stacker made out of old booster seats.

I see your 9 year old minivan and I raise you an 11 year old Prius that's always been parked on the street, in the city, and has all the scrapes, dings and dents you'd expect from a city car that is parked on the street.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
YEEEESSSSSSS. We live in a first ring suburb...tiny lot, narrow driveway, kids have scraped the side of my car like they are hoodlums keying a car in the city. You get my aesthetic.

:rotf:

Meanwhile, if one of them brings a ski close to mine, I’m like “DON‘T SCRATCH MY TOPSHEET!!!”
:chillpill:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna