• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What are your goals for the 2017/2018 season?

SkiBilly

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
To strengthen my right turns. I favour my left leg and always hockey stop facing left. It feels very comfortable and strong and I would like it to feel that way when I stop right side too. I was trying it today and was only managing little soft, pussy ones.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
@Powgirl I am more afraid of other skiers than anything else.

this. other people on-hill who ski way too close and you don't know what they're going to do. i just stay far away. just like in cycling. you're unpredictable? okay great, i'm going to get as far the heck away from you as humanly possible.

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

My goals this year are to work on my pole plants, work on my consistency since I tend to ski well before lunch and fall apart in the afternoon and also just try to enjoy myself more.

I know, me too...the human darts on the WROD paralyze me faster than anything...I feel like I can never finish a turn under those conditions...I fear someone will slam into me...I think what HAS helped me is too try to ski predictably, and work on shorter turns...my skis has helped with that, too...

I have to remind myself to quit when I'm tired, and ski to my own tune...skiing is a fun experience!!

skimamma

Certified Ski Diva

My goals this year are to work on my pole plants, work on my consistency since I tend to ski well before lunch and fall apart in the afternoon and also just try to enjoy myself more.

Oh my gosh yes (the fear of other people on the mountain)....I joke that I have an irrational fear of people without poles! (Basically park skiers skiing backwards down a crowded slope or snowboarders flying across the run or anyone blindly flying out of the trees.)

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another useful tip...don't ski with your boots in walk mode...

I skied pretty hard yesterday at Copper, some steepish runs...I skied well, but felt like I was fighting the back seat a lot, and my right ski was wobbling a little at speed...compensated by turning more and getting far over my skis...when I was taking my boots off at the car, my boots were in walk mode...yikes!

Skiing2BFreeInYYC

Certified Ski Diva
Really enjoyed reading everyone’s goals! My 2018 skiing related goals are:

1. Have fun
2. Develop a solid technique foundation, get to full consistent parallel runs (level 3 on blues right now).
3. Get some “easy” black runs under my belt
4. Expand my social circle of ski friends
5. Ski as many mountains as I can. So far I’ve done 3 this season including my “home” mountain. Whistler next weekend and Panorama in Feb...not sure where after that!

kiki

Angel Diva
Another useful tip...don't ski with your boots in walk mode...

I skied pretty hard yesterday at Copper, some steepish runs...I skied well, but felt like I was fighting the back seat a lot, and my right ski was wobbling a little at speed...compensated by turning more and getting far over my skis...when I was taking my boots off at the car, my boots were in walk mode...yikes!
This has happened to me a few times too
Strangely sometimes i think i ski better that way, why might that be?

kiki

Angel Diva

1. Have fun
2. Develop a solid technique foundation, get to full consistent parallel runs (level 3 on blues right now).
5. Ski as many mountains as I can. So far I’ve done 3 this season including my “home” mountain. Whistler next weekend and Panorama in Feb...not sure where after that!
Hope to get to meet you! My home mountain is Whistler. PM me if you'd like to meet for breakfast or an apres.

marzNC

Angel Diva
This has happened to me a few times too
Strangely sometimes i think i ski better that way, why might that be?
With relatively loose boots, my impression is that you have to be in balance to make turns work at all. My local coach had to ski with loose boots during a clinic for pretty experienced instructors quite a while ago. He learned a lot about what he needed to work on from the experience.

I've skied in loose boots after lunch at times.

Skiwino

Certified Ski Diva

1. Have fun
I echo your goals, and I like that you put "Have fun" as #1. I would like to get some "easy" black runs under my belt, too, and intentionally at that! I do know that ratings are unique to each resort. Last year I took a wrong turn and wound up on a very short but steep (to me) diamond. I got down, not very elegantly, though. I was proud of myself. That's o.k., right? I hope you have a great season.

alison wong

Angel Diva
No lofty goals, only 1 goal in mind.

Get acquainted with my new ski boots. Truly hope we will like each other and they will not let me down.
(I say it with my fingers crossed!)

I am pleased to say, this goal is checked off since I adjusted to my new boots w/o much issues.

Now I'd like to have new set of goals:
1) Check out more new places this season - already visited: Elk, Montage, Canaan Valley, Masaanutten.
Upcoming: West: Taos, Aspen/Snowmass, Sunlight. East: Blue Knob, Laural Mountain.

(Reason - I was very intimidated to try new places because of my low skill level the past years. Now I can comfortably ski greens and blues, so I am not as "afraid" of new places / trails as before.)

2) start learning to ski bumps / moguls.

kiki

Angel Diva
I am pleased to say, this goal is checked off since I adjusted to my new boots w/o much issues.

Now I'd like to have new set of goals:
1) Check out more new places this season - already visited: Elk, Montage, Canaan Valley, Masaanutten.
Upcoming: West: Taos, Aspen/Snowmass, Sunlight. East: Blue Knob, Laural Mountain.

(Reason - I was very intimidated to try new places because of my low skill level the past years. Now I can comfortably ski greens and blues, so I am not as "afraid" of new places / trails as before.)

2) start learning to ski bumps / moguls.
What a great hurdle to have crossed, to be feeling open enough to experiment with new places, good for you!!!! Have fun!

Ice Kitten

Certified Ski Diva
I finally feel like I've progressed beyond the point where I started out this year (my second season), which was basically this constant feeling like I'm always just going back to square one. Today we went out nice and early with a few inches of new snow and it felt wonderful! I made it down three green trails without a single fall this morning (one of which I have fallen on at some point every time I've taken it), am starting to see some nice results in getting my skis out of wedge and into parallel, and am starting to get the knack of sideslipping. This forum has helped a LOT with getting there!

So my goals for this year are:
1. Get out as much as possible - I feel like now I don't need my husband to be with me on the trails for support (or to help pick me up if I fall!)
2. Learn how to hockey stop
3. Make it down at least one blue trail

My goals when I started this year, which I've already accomplished, were:
1. Not fall down every time I get off the chairlift
2. Make it down the bunny hill without falling
3. Get down some of the easy greens
4. Learn better ways of getting up when I fall down

Audski

Certified Ski Diva
I'm feeling A LOT of fear this year. Two years ago my 7 yr old daughter crashed into a tree and would up on the ICU with many broken parts. Two weeks ago my 13 year old son got crashed into by another skier, and now had a broken Tibia Plateau. This weekend I went skiing at Okemo VT and felt SO MUCH FEAR. I really don't want to get set back by this fear, but It really took hold this weekend. The conditions were poor from the rain/flash freeze, so that was part of it, but generally I was slower, hesitant, nervous, reluctant, and anxious. I skied with my boyfriend who is a college ski racing coach/instructor. He said I skied well, but it was clear I was holding back, being guarded, etc. Sadly, I had to cancel 1/2 my ski trips this season due to my son's injury, so my opportunities to push through and get comfortable are minimal. I'm super frustrated because I was looking forward to continuing to advance, to experiment more with moguls, to increase my speed a bit, and to smooth out my turn continuity. Oh well, guess this year I'll just have to try to not get set back too much and focus on just trying to have fun, not not think about how much I'm missing family time on the slopes :(

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna