• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What are your goals for the 2017/2018 season?

newboots

Angel Diva
You’re probably aware of the book about fear and skiing by Mermer Blakeslee. It’s xalled A Conversation with Fear. I haven’t read it, but from what I’ve gathered, the science behind it is strong, and many women here really found it helpful.

Good luck! And best healing wishes for all the injuries. Go ahead and be careful for awhile... you will regain your confidence.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
You’re probably aware of the book about fear and skiing by Mermer Blakeslee. It’s xalled A Conversation with Fear. I haven’t read it, but from what I’ve gathered, the science behind it is strong, and many women here really found it helpful.

Good luck! And best healing wishes for all the injuries. Go ahead and be careful for awhile... you will regain your confidence.

Funny you should mention that. I just posted an interview with her in this week's blog. Go here.

newboots

Angel Diva
Timely! And how great that she has written a book for all those who can’t get to Windham!

I was struck by her comment about women feeling “unathletic” and not realizing how much work it takes to develop a skill. Wow, is that me or what? Maybe that book should be next in line for my reading!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do as much breaking trail as possible.
Balanced skiing this year.
Equal parts ... back, slack and track.

Love this website and the forums, just discovered it!!!

Haha. Mine would be:
  • Find someone generous enough to break trail for me all the time so I can have energy to keep up
  • Just once not be the last person on the skin track (without having to break trail)

:smile: There are legitimate reasons for these goals -- I'm anywhere from 25 to 100 lbs smaller than people I ski with in the backcountry (which sort of translates to people being 25% to 100% bigger than me).

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My goals for this year:
Oh, and I plan to keep both my knees intact this year!! This - :injured: - NO!

Whelp, so much for that. Here I sit in an imobilizer after simply trying to step into the Griffin bindings on my SOSs. F'ers %$^#@*&^$#!!!!!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm feeling A LOT of fear this year. Two years ago my 7 yr old daughter crashed into a tree and would up on the ICU with many broken parts. Two weeks ago my 13 year old son got crashed into by another skier, and now had a broken Tibia Plateau. This weekend I went skiing at Okemo VT and felt SO MUCH FEAR. I really don't want to get set back by this fear, but It really took hold this weekend. The conditions were poor from the rain/flash freeze, so that was part of it, but generally I was slower, hesitant, nervous, reluctant, and anxious. I skied with my boyfriend who is a college ski racing coach/instructor. He said I skied well, but it was clear I was holding back, being guarded, etc. Sadly, I had to cancel 1/2 my ski trips this season due to my son's injury, so my opportunities to push through and get comfortable are minimal. I'm super frustrated because I was looking forward to continuing to advance, to experiment more with moguls, to increase my speed a bit, and to smooth out my turn continuity. Oh well, guess this year I'll just have to try to not get set back too much and focus on just trying to have fun, not not think about how much I'm missing family time on the slopes :(

I find skiing with music tends to help me relax and quiets the fraidy-cat voices in my head. If you feel comfortable trying this, do it with just one earbud in at first.

newboots

Angel Diva
@volklgirl - so sorry to hear it! I see that, on the bright side, you now have time to peruse The Ski Diva and comment on posts!

That doesn't really outweigh the dark side, though. Fast healing!

Ice Kitten

Certified Ski Diva
I find skiing with music tends to help me relax and quiets the fraidy-cat voices in my head. If you feel comfortable trying this, do it with just one earbud in at first.

This was an unstated goal of mine in the above post - I told my husband that I don't care if I learn to go fast or conquer any especially challenging hills this year, but I want to be able to chill out with my music and enjoy the scenery. I shall have to work on setting this up soon!

I hope you heal up quickly!

lucy

Angel Diva
I'd like to learn how to make those beautiful ski racer turns, strengthen my left ankle (it has a metal plate in it) so I can turn evenly again, and learn how to ski powder without burning my quads out (this may have to wait for a year with snow). Hmm, that's right.... since there is no new snow <sigh>, this year I'm learning how to ski ice like an east coast ski diva!

MelRene

Certified Ski Diva
I’m very late on adding my two cents, but my goal for the year was met. My goal wa to take a lesson so I could get on a blue trail here in Colorado. I’ve been skiing three years and had yet to do so. I met this goal last Sunday. And it was amazing. I don’t think my goal is black just yet so I’m going to kick ass on blues the rest of the season.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Whelp, so much for that. Here I sit in an imobilizer after simply trying to step into the Griffin bindings on my SOSs. F'ers %$^#@*&^$#!!!!!
:faint:
^^This.
Haven't you had ENOUGH of this???
Seriously, so sorry - and will be waiting on your ortho news.
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
You’re probably aware of the book about fear and skiing by Mermer Blakeslee. It’s xalled A Conversation with Fear.
Curiously, DH had her for a PSIA clinic group leader last April at Sugarbush. After he got back, he said she had a "funny" first name - but he remember the last name as Blakely, or some such. So I presumed/guessed - and was right. He said she is one fine skier, race-oriented background.

I read the book years ago, when it was called "In the Yikes Zone." I'm glad it's still out there.

Ice Kitten

Certified Ski Diva
So my goals for this year are:
1. Get out as much as possible - I feel like now I don't need my husband to be with me on the trails for support (or to help pick me up if I fall!)
2. Learn how to hockey stop
3. Make it down at least one blue trail

I'm happy to say I've crossed off a few goals in the past week! I had a private lesson this weekend and felt like my skiing ability doubled in that one hour. Since then, I also crossed off my first goal (get out as much as possible) and spent the whole of yesterday skiing my heart out all by myself. It was wonderful! And tonight, I'm very pleased to say I made it down my first blue trail from top to bottom. It was so fun! Looking forward to getting out on a few more soon.

Now I think I can stop adding goals and just concentrate on working on my form.....and keep trying those darn hockey stops.

Skiwino

Certified Ski Diva
I'm happy to say I've crossed off a few goals in the past week! I had a private lesson this weekend and felt like my skiing ability doubled in that one hour. Since then, I also crossed off my first goal (get out as much as possible) and spent the whole of yesterday skiing my heart out all by myself. It was wonderful! And tonight, I'm very pleased to say I made it down my first blue trail from top to bottom. It was so fun! Looking forward to getting out on a few more soon.
Now I think I can stop adding goals and just concentrate on working on my form.....and keep trying those darn hockey stops.
Awesome achievement @Ice Kitten. Congrats on skiing that blue top to bottom and also for skiing during the day by yourself. Sounds like that private lesson was a confidence AND skill boost.

Ice Kitten

Certified Ski Diva
Congrats on skiing that blue top to bottom and also for skiing during the day by yourself. Sounds like that private lesson was a confidence AND skill boost.

Thanks @Skiwino! I have a hard time believing how far I've come from the first few times I went out skiing. Let's just say there were tears involved.....many tears. I don't look as good as lots of the folks I see, but I look a helluva lot better than I used to. :bounce:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly