• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Why Mount Washington Kills

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not the same, but hiking up St Mary's to get our ski turns in over the summer, we had a number of people take in the packs with the skis attached and ask, "Are you going to SKI up there?" I know it's just one of those things people blurt when what they're seeing doesn't compute with their experience, but it's so tempting to be cutting and sarcastic.

Not the same, but hiking up St Mary's to get our ski turns in over the summer, we had a number of people take in the packs with the skis attached and ask, "Are you going to SKI up there?" I know it's just one of those things people blurt when what they're seeing doesn't compute with their experience, but it's so tempting to be cutting and sarcastic.

Reminds me when non surfing people asked if I waxed the bottom of my surfboard. I know they truly aren't thinking about the logic behind what they are saying but I have to pause for a moment before responding.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We can practice on rock piles here in PA first. I'll be like Rocky training...

Nice. Make sure to have a personal soundtrack. I think that most physically fit people can do the physical aspects of the hike -- can you do the hike if nothing bad happens? Sure. It's the variables that screw people up.

elemmac

Angel Diva

I suppose that's an advantage of the auto road, you don't have to look funny hiking with skis in June to get some turns in.

IMG_3812.JPG
(sorry small pic...I'm trying to make the snowboard less noticeable)

Edit: Aaaaand just realized it was a thumbnail, not just a small picture

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nice. Make sure to have a personal soundtrack. I think that most physically fit people can do the physical aspects of the hike -- can you do the hike if nothing bad happens? Sure. It's the variables that screw people up.

If anything, I think physical fitness leads people to be overconfident - like the runners Kim mentioned.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
They probably were more incredulous and impressed than sarcastic. That snow field can get pretty bumpy and gnarly-looking in the summer.

I used to hike there a lot when I went to school at CU in Boulder. I remember some people skiing it, and one guy hit some rocks and tumbled down head over foot, and hit more rocks at the bottom. :eek:

Last edited:

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Reminds me when non surfing people asked if I waxed the bottom of my surfboard. I know they truly aren't thinking about the logic behind what they are saying but I have to pause for a moment before responding.
Maybe you should just say, "No, I prefer to wax the top of the board," and see how they respond. But I do know some SUP racers (flat water) who use a wax on their hulls to increase their glide.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They probably were more incredulous and impressed than sarcastic. That snow field can get pretty bumpy and gnarly-looking in the summer.

Yeah, I was pretty sure I was going to break my knee in the suncups there in September. Irony, right?

Maybe you should just say, "No, I prefer to wax the top of the board," and see how they respond. But I do know some SUP racers (flat water) who use a wax on their hulls to increase their glide.

I would always just say no you wax where you stand. I try to be patient and hold the sarcasm because I know I ask plenty of question out of interest that might seem stupid to the person I'm asking but I genuinely don't know and am curious.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would always just say no you wax where you stand. I try to be patient and hold the sarcasm because I know I ask plenty of question out of interest that might seem stupid to the person I'm asking but I genuinely don't know and am curious.

To be honest, while I think I've heard this before, it's honestly not something that was ever obvious to me, so I might have been one of the people asking the question ...

To be honest, while I think I've heard this before, it's honestly not something that was ever obvious to me, so I might have been one of the people asking the question ...

Something I always try to remember is that something that is obvious to one person isn't always obvious to the other.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
So I'm just going to go ahead and admit that I know nothing about Mount Washington and so could very likely do something stupid. My hiking is primarily limited to marked trails here in PA. I don't generally venture off-trail. So say you wanted to hike Mount Washington, and Google tells me the shortest way to the top is the Tuckerman Ravine trail, how dangerous is this trail in the summer? What kind of gear do you even need? Just reading 4.2 miles clearly doesn't sound scary, but I have no idea what those 4.2 miles involve obviously.
4000 feet of elevation gain in those 4.2 miles, plus a lot of climbing over rocks!

I love those pictures, gorgeous........ but as Austin Powers says

bag.jpeg

I will hold whatever people don't want to hike up carrying, will drive up and be your summit welcome committee.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I guess I just have a hard time understanding b/c: 1.) Why would you not look at the forecast for the summit elevation (I do this even for skiing) and b.) who starts hiking so late in the day for such a large mountain? I just can't imagine not turning around so you're back at your car before dusk. I mean no way would I persevere on if I'd be hiking in the dark. Nope. I got freaked out at Ricketts Glen b/c I was worried it was going to be sunset by the time we got back to our car. And that's not Mount Washington.

I'll just make @vanhoskier take me to Mount Washington so I don't die. :thumbsup:

Because the "summit mentality" is very real...people take unnecessary risks to get to the summit, because they feel they've gone so far and are so close to it. Also, the forecast at the summit may not be what is really happening there....weather is super unpredictable.

I need to add that when we climbed it, we did NOT climb back down, and I'm glad we didn't. It was so rocky and steep, that going down would've been terrible. Mr. MSL managed to get a cell signal and called MSL, who drove from Maine to come pick us up! In my experience, it's easy on a long hike to underestimate how long it will take to get back down, and that's where a lot of the trouble starts.

However....I've seen some people driving the Auto Road on Mt. Washington totally freak out, too, due to the hairpin turns/no guardrails thing. It's similar to the Pikes Peak road in that sense.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I'm too used to teaching teenagers every day. :smile: Developing sarcasm is a survival skill in my job.

Christy

Angel Diva
The disappointing thing about is it, you do all that work, then get to the summit, which is a parking lot full of tourists who drove up there,

I have a policy of never hiking to the top of anything people can drive to. Probably the least satisfying touristy thing I've ever done is take the train to the top of Pikes Peak, which is just tourist hell, and I think I would have killed myself if I'd hiked up and found that scene.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Something I always try to remember is that something that is obvious to one person isn't always obvious to the other.

I see this a lot in computers and software. Engage in the mockery, sometimes, too. But it's like - why *would* that be obvious? (Although unlike hiking, skiing, and surfing, I think everyone needs some computer literacy.)

In my experience, it's easy on a long hike to underestimate how long it will take to get back down, and that's where a lot of the trouble starts.

Especially if your knees start hurting, you're sunburned, you're tired from the climb, you didn't bring enough water or snacks ... BTDT. Sometimes I have had to choose between giving water to my dogs or me, and they can't use sweat to cool off. I've met people whose dogs have died in that scenario. I haven't been in risk of dying, but it's a rough few miles back to the car. Nowadays, realizing how easily Loki overheats with long black fur, I just don't hike where there isn't a stream alongside the route.

I have a policy of never hiking to the top of anything people can drive to. Probably the least satisfying touristy thing I've ever done is take the train to the top of Pikes Peak, which is just tourist hell, and I think I would have killed myself if I'd hiked up and found that scene.

I've never gone for Pikes Peak, and that's one reason. I also am allergic to most 14ers - not because you can drive to the top (most you can't), but because there's so much dang traffic. Also I suck wind starting at about 11k to the point where it can be a dangerously slow pace. But it's really unappealing to me to hike with the same amount of people you'd expect on a suburban bike path. Or more.

Christy

Angel Diva
I also am allergic to most 14ers - not because you can drive to the top (most you can't), but because there's so much dang traffic.

Yeah along those same lines here we have the "I-90 hikes." There are beautiful hikes in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness 45 minutes from downtown Seattle, half that from the burbs, and with just awful crowds, parking problems, etc. I can't imagine how that could be a satisfying experience but people do them in droves.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga