• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Where is winter???

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for that! Since it didn't involve any great financial hardship in the way of frozen and burst pipes or other permanent damage (that we know of :->), we are chalking it all up to adventure and counting it as one more wild thing we've been through in our 45 year together. It would have been much worse to sit in Montana, knowing the temp in the house was below the "set" level and hear about the rest second hand!

Christy

Angel Diva
Yikes, what a pain, SkiNana.

Crystal Mt (WA) today:
418385_187799971332785_100003083492891_291487_159725763_n.jpg

Christy

Angel Diva
Stevens Pass is even better:

420562_10150592553575598_30213905597_9541267_163008898_n.jpg

It's actually kind of nutty out there, many feet still predicted, chains requried, high winds, etc etc. 100 km/hour winds at Whistler today; I looked at the Roundhouse webcam (where the Whistler Village gondola lets off) at 1:30 pm and it was deserted; they must have had to shut it down.

Jilly

Staff member
Well it was 10C this morning on the way to work. Our local bump closed last night, they can't make the March break week even. I don't suppose too many Ontario places will.

Here's hoping Ullr gives us one more dump so Tremblant can make it to Easter!

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow! We aren't getting anything like that, but we are getting a steady 2-4" every night. We rushed out yesterday and then decided to warm up on the slope that leads back to the locker, just in case conditions were as ready-made for slow, twisting, ACL-tearing falls as it appeared they might be. Clever choice: we went right down Mr. K and back into the locker! Not only was the snow heavy and wet (and the temperature a stubborn 36° F), but it was foggy and "snaining" until it turned to true snow halfway up "Swifty". Viz was awful and the only thing firm was the death cookies.

This morning is an instant replay. It snowed all night. (I was sleepless and caught a coyote on his rounds at 4AM: he and I studied each other for several long minutes through the dark window before he went on his way, and folks in the condos nearby started shooting off fireworks (WTF!?!) We aren't fooled by the beauty though: we'll stay in and DH can watch basketball. Go Spartans!

The second photo is the road as it looked when we finally attempted our escape on the third morning after the "Storm of the Decade" in N. Michigan: the trees do not normally touch at the top of the road, much less bend over it, and it is a two lane road.
IMG_9203_2.JPG
Big Sky, this morning.
IMG_8755_2.JPG
Torch Lake, MI, 2 days after early March storm

I did it!! I posted photos!:yahoo:

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
At least there's snow somewhere. The jet stream has been stuck in its current pattern for much of the winter, and the latest I've read is that it may be due to increased sunspot activity, but no one knows for sure.

This is officially our warmest winter on record. I think a lot of folks in the east and upper midwest are a bit uneasy with our early spring.

I managed to get out to ski yesterday with Skisailor at Belleayre. It was soft spring conditions, but we spent the day practicing in the bumps and it was a lot of fun, as was the apres ski on the deck in the warm sunshine. Belleayre's last day is supposed to be next weekend, but I don't know if they'll make it, with the warm temperatures continuing through this week.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
It is 80*EIGHTY*80 degrees up here in Maine (inland/mountains), and it has COOLED OFF in the last hour. :eek::faint:
Too bizarre for words.....

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It is 80*EIGHTY*80 degrees up here in Maine (inland/mountains), and it has COOLED OFF in the last hour. :eek::faint:

Holy *hit, really??!! That's just creepy, really! My husband is in Ohio for a month and it's been t-shirt weather there pretty much the entire time. We lived there for 4+ years and March is NOT t-shirt season!

That being said, the Sierra Nevada mountains all received 4+ feet of snow over the weekend. SoCal mountains received 1-2 feet and are still getting snow. This is a more normal storm for these parts, but usually mid-winter, not March! Not complaining, though. Going to hit the slopes at Snow Summit on Tuesday! Wish I could be up there today!

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It snowed all night and most of today here (Big Sky) though how in the world it can snow with temps in the 40's I'm sure I don't know, and we weren't even tempted to go sloshing around out there! It's supposed to get down to a bone shuddering 29° tonight though.:brr: :blah:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Is this incredible? Tomorrow through Thursday, here in VT. In March.

Screen shot 2012-03-18 at 7.53.24 PM.png

Downunder Diva

Angel Diva
OMG MSL does Maine even get much warmer than 80 deg in summer??? I spent holidays at Bethel point ME back in the late 70's and I don't remember it as being a very warm place... But it was very beautiful :smile:

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Snowbird snowcam is showing just over 12 inches in the last 24 hours! Their webpage says it's twice what was expected. March is still looking good in LCC. :snow:
Alta's website says 20" in 24 hours (as of 4:30), 8" in the last 12, and 7-12 more overnight. The storm was still chugging along quite nicely when I left today. :thumbsup:

We are very, very, very lucky, and if the chatter on the lifts and in the 20-minute lines is any indication, we know it.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
OMG MSL does Maine even get much warmer than 80 deg in summer??? I spent holidays at Bethel point ME back in the late 70's and I don't remember it as being a very warm place... But it was very beautiful :smile:
Not often, and then only in July-early August, and people wildly complain about "the heat" in anything over 80F.

My indoor (top #)/outdoor thermometer at about 4 p.m. today, March 18th:
ry%3D400

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Winter never found PA. It took a wrong turn on the turnpike and got lost... or something. Yeesh. Our liriope in our front beds never even really died off during the winter. They kept some of their green leaves all winter long (which they're not supposed to). At least we were able to spend this past weekend trying to spruce up our house. It needs a lot of love, and it gets very much neglected during ski season.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna