• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Where is winter???

Jilly

Staff member
Tremblant is calling for the R word on Saturday. Also north not getting as much as you. This storm is heading south. Look at Sutton instead, unless they get the R word too.

cleopatra

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sounds like the storm that hit us last week moved out east. We seem to only get huge storms this year, and not nearly as much in between. But the storms have been epic 92cm in 48hrs of blower powder, best skiing of my life. Check out this video from most recent storm....:drool:

road trips to Fernie are a must!!

ScottishGirlie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Scotland's five ski areas are now all closed for the season after recent high temps have destroyed what little snow there was. Talk about depressing. :cry::cry:

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Tremblant is calling for the R word on Saturday. Also north not getting as much as you. This storm is heading south. Look at Sutton instead, unless they get the R word too.

No rain in the Weather Network forecast for Tremblant until well into next week. Some snow, though not huge amounts. But I really don't think Tremblant can complain this year – it's been good!

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know where winter is! We had to make a "quick" trip to Michigan to deal with some house issues and no sooner had we arrived than they started talking about "winter dorm warnings". Right, big deal, no worries, we're tough folks from Montana, you know.

Riiiight! It snowed about 20" - impossibly heavy stuff that had the branches of 50' trees touching the ground and pulled a 14 yr old, 12 foot blue spruce right out of the ground! We have no power, which means no lights, heat, water (including toilets -no pump), no Internet. We can only charge the phones by running the car. We have a gas stove, but no refrigeration, and they're saying it will be another 48 hours (it's been almost 48 already). There are 20 trees across the road within a mile of the house, so we aren't going anywhere, and no one is coming to get us.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey SkiNana; you've got convoys of contracted power trucks and cherry pickers headed your way this am!! Hopefully they'll get to you ASAP!!!!!

It was s doozy of a storm, alright! State of Emergency called for 3 counties north/north west of us with up to 24" of snow and many 100's of 1000's without power for up to 4 days. We went to Crystal and went in the back entrance only to find the road was almost impassable - they hadn't plowed it at all and there were trees down across it (thank God for my beast of a Suburban!!!). The resort lost power so the lifts started up almost 2 hours late. There were several trees down on top of guests' cars in the resort as well. The skiing sucked as it was soooo wet and heavy but we had nothing better to do as we were without power. Thankfully we have a gas stove and a gas space heater that don't require electricity, but not being able to flush was irritating.

I was seriously pissed to discover that during our electric emergency, I couldn't get ahold of our electric company to get an ETA. I kept getting a false busy signal and a "your call cannot be completed at this time" message. Grrrrrr!!!!!

When we got home we tried to snowblow but both blowers kept getting buried in the deep heavy snow so we were thoroughly entertained by our neighbor who came over to plow. That was really fun to watch.
We went from a light coat of snow to this overnight:
65479_3078236748143_1030482850_32961460_1461718163_n.jpg

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My first remark when I opened the door to the deck was, "Thank God I don't have to ski in this stuff!" It was the consistency of mud! When you walked in it, there was so much water it just squished!

We turned the phones off and went to bed at seven last night and when we turned them on this morning it was to hear a hysterical voicemail (left at 7:15 PM) that DH's brother is in the hospital, in Idaho, awaiting heart surgery (a total surprise). So now we're really desperate to get done, get the heat back on and get out of here. We set out for Traverse City and encountered only a single set of tracks in the snow and an incredible number of fallen trees: 20 or 30 in the first mile! Neighbors had cut enough room for a single vehicle to pass. Unfortunately my beautiful photos are too large to upload!

TC was pretty much a ghost town, but we found a hotel. No TV, no Internet, no elevator: they're on emergency generator, charging locals only $50 a night, but they have heat, lights, hot water, and flushing toilets! Almost nothing is open on "the strip" though: it's really weird.

That convoy can't get here soon enough: the whole pole is down a mile and a half from us, so it doesn't look like help is coming any time soon otherwise!

mustski

Angel Diva
We got 14" last week and then back to high 40's and low 50's ... that's Fahrenheit so you Canucks don't get confused - JK! I came back from the mountains today to mid 70's beach weather. Now don't get me wrong, I like a good tan as much as anybody. I just prefer my winter tan to include racoon eyes!

Ski Nana, I posted above before I read your latest report. I hope everybody is OK and that you have a chance to enjoy all that fresh snow!

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey, volklgirl, I think we just passed your convoy! DH counted 18 trucks with more on the other side of the signal where we turned (in Kalkaska). They were headed our way, so we'll keep our fingers crossed. It was 45 F in there this morning - a miracle as it got way below zero last night.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good to hear! Keep us updated and let me know if there's ANYTHING I can do!!!

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That is really sweet of you! We are in a hotel, and we woke at six this morning to the sound of running engines. There were fifty-six power trucks in the back parking lot getting ready to pull out! It was an amazing sight. Nonetheless, they are now saying Friday for resumption of power in our area. :scared::cry: Oh, well, it's an adventure, and we're together.

Last night we unwrapped, photographed, and shared a bite of our son's (and his bride's) wedding cake top layer. It had been in our freezer since the wedding and we just couldn't save it. They were very understanding. Might have been just as well . . . their third anniversary is in June! It was surprisingly good. :drool:

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
SO! My last post was Tuesday. Wednesday evening we came back to check the house after dinner (on power-less day six) and the lights were on!!! So I quickly got a load of whites done and in the dryer, had all our jeans (except, luckily, the ones on my butt!) in the washer when, BLOOIE! Out went the power again! We were so disheartened that we didn't even go back to the motel: we just crawled into bed. After all, the lights were doubtless going to come on and wake us up in and hour or two, right? Wrong! It was another day and a half, and THEN, with the car loaded and the engine running (well, a little poetic license there), I decided to take photos of the tile we'd bought for the foyer and baths to go with the ones of the granite (Thank Goodnes!) and realized DH had bought the wrong tile! At least we didn't discover that little error after it was down in the master bath and laundry. But unpacking the car and loading/returning/repurchasing 17 boxes of 18" tile meant we had to spend another night before leaving.

So this morning we rose at 6 AM and left in a driving snowstorm (again? Really?!) However, no sooner had we cleared Michigan "airspace" than we were driving under cloudless blue skies! So much for my promise to take the snow back to Big Sky! Thank you, volklgirl and others who have offered help and empathy through a really stressful week. It looks like we made it through!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna