• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

So, how's your season going?

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh Santacruz skier! You make me want to cry! We should have been there this weekend!!!! Sierra had 17 inches at the weekend and now we can't go for a month! Weep!!! Pray it stays cold enough or they get lots more!
Oh, @Zez, you missed such a good weekend! Kirkwood was knee-deep in areas on Saturday and we found freshies at Heavenly until 2 p.m. on Sunday.

This weekend was redeeming for my otherwise mediocre/disappointing season. Finally caught a storm, got to use my new powder skis (Armada TSTw) for real, got to show my BFF what it's like to ski powder (I think she's hooked), skied some new-to-me runs, felt like a champ all weekend...the list goes on.

RhodySkiBum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Loving this season! It has been remarkable in the East - I've even dared to venture into the glades/moguls in the soft snow! (I can't/won't do this if it's icy!)

I'm completely obsessed this year :ski:

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry, I haven't been here in ages! The truth is, my season has been ... blah. I've gotten only 4 ski days in, thanks to a bad calf strain that kept me out of commission a good part of January and February. I finally got clearance from my physio to ski, and now I have to work up the motivation to get back out there after basically sitting on my butt all season.

Hope you ladies are all enjoying the snow!

Jilly

Staff member
Segacs - get your butt up here...I have discounts for Sundays...

vickie - there is that....

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yesterday I was reminded what spring skiing is all about. The plan was to have a big day but in practice I didn't last 2 hours - my feet and hands were literally cooking. Beautiful day and snow is still decent but someone needs to come up with boot coolers to make it more enjoyable. Going touring today - I think I need a break from alpine gear.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
asegacs, echoing Jilly. C'mon up some time! We've missed you on the forum - and glad to hear the injury is healing.

As for my season, I'm sure I was gushing about this before, but while downhill has been okay, cross-country in the Laurentians has been SPECTACULAR! Especially lately with more confortable temps. Snow and conditions lately have been absolutely perfect, both on groomed and ungroomed trails. A friend and I got one of our downhill skiing buddies on x-c last week - he'd done it a bit before but not properly. The two old ladies (my friend and me) wore him out and he's 20 years younger than we are. He struggled with uphills and needs to develop a better glide on the flat bits (of which there aren't many around here) but he did very well on downhills - thanks to all his DH experience.

BlackDiamondVolkl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I came into skiing again this season after not going for many years. I can echo another diva: 1. Learned to ski again and 2. Got my older son skiing. Considering I've had no expectations, it's been a fantastic season!! 17-18 ish days so far, many more planned. Got all new gear, have progressed from not being able to get down a blue run at all without ski patrol's help (not kidding) to taking a few lessons, practicing a TON, and now can do blacks. Can't wait for Diva East and the ski days I have between now and then!

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Segacs - get your butt up here...I have discounts for Sundays...

segacs, echoing Jilly. C'mon up some time! We've missed you on the forum - and glad to hear the injury is healing.

I got my butt up there today. Had a great time skiing in all that fresh snow with Jilly .

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Until this week I'd have said it was average. We skied 7 days at home before leaving on vacation, and they were fun times spent with friends, but just normal Michigan skiing, for the most part. This week in Taos, however, has really made it something to remember. More fun times with friends we only see once a year, but such strides made in confidence and skiing!

As a fellow MI skier, I would say this year was good in terms of snow. More blue skies it feels like than last year. Thankful for our trips out (Blut Mtn/Ontario, Snowshoe WV).

A day on the slopes is better than a day not.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
A-okay here in Maine - but needing some warmth. Looks promising for mid-week. January was not great (too warm, rain) - then came all the snow, then the cold. Looking forward to spring skiing but that's at least a month off yet.

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
Yesterday I was reminded what spring skiing is all about. The plan was to have a big day but in practice I didn't last 2 hours - my feet and hands were literally cooking. Beautiful day and snow is still decent but someone needs to come up with boot coolers to make it more enjoyable. Going touring today - I think I need a break from alpine gear.

Yes! DH and I went to the Backcountry Ski Fest in the Daks and had a BLAST on Saturday! Sun was shining, air was 'warm', snow was cold, DH got to ride some 'real' skis (of course he picked the carbons to be his fav :rolleyes:), did his first bit of touring and proclaimed skinning to be a lot of fun. (This is awesome in and of itself, but also because it's going to make my life a lot easier if he understands my compulsion to get into the backcountry!) For me personally, I rode some L O N G skis and realized- I can do that! (Wouldn't want to take something like a 174 in the trees though...).

Then on Sunday we went on a short little ski tour somewhere in the woods to the West of Lake Placid. Real tree skiing, really deep snow (I stepped out of my skis to take my skins off and sank up to the top of my thigh), and really big fat flakes of snow fell on us all day! It was warm-ish though- I only needed a light wool base layer, light vest and a light shell to stay plenty warm while I toured & skied. I'm so use to being bundled to the hilt, that it was a pleasure to feel like I was wearing so little!

Temps will be coming up this week- 40s for the high in the mountains. Part of me is sad to see that- I know that means the beginning of the end. The resort will only be open another month. I'm hoping that with all that base though, I'll be able to do some tours long after the city folks have pulled out their shorts & tank tops! My goal is a 7 month ski season! :becky:

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes! DH and I went to the Backcountry Ski Fest in the Daks and had a BLAST on Saturday! Sun was shining, air was 'warm', snow was cold, DH got to ride some 'real' skis (of course he picked the carbons to be his fav :rolleyes:), did his first bit of touring and proclaimed skinning to be a lot of fun. (This is awesome in and of itself, but also because it's going to make my life a lot easier if he understands my compulsion to get into the backcountry!) For me personally, I rode some L O N G skis and realized- I can do that! (Wouldn't want to take something like a 174 in the trees though...).

Then on Sunday we went on a short little ski tour somewhere in the woods to the West of Lake Placid. Real tree skiing, really deep snow (I stepped out of my skis to take my skins off and sank up to the top of my thigh), and really big fat flakes of snow fell on us all day! It was warm-ish though- I only needed a light wool base layer, light vest and a light shell to stay plenty warm while I toured & skied. I'm so use to being bundled to the hilt, that it was a pleasure to feel like I was wearing so little!

Temps will be coming up this week- 40s for the high in the mountains. Part of me is sad to see that- I know that means the beginning of the end. The resort will only be open another month. I'm hoping that with all that base though, I'll be able to do some tours long after the city folks have pulled out their shorts & tank tops! My goal is a 7 month ski season! :becky:

we did a 5 hours ascent and basically only took one lift at the end of the day to get out of the area. Started at the bus stop just above the village and reached one of the furthest end of the resort area, the gateway to Arolla/Zermatt ski route. "Only" 1200 meters denivelation but a big distance was covered with only small altitude gain, so overall I feel we did well. My skis are carbon (Scott Powd'Air) and I switched to Dynafit bindings last year. Skis are fairly short though - 163 and I don't think that I would be able to do a kick turn on slopes approaching 30 degrees without rolling down even if they were just 1 cm longer. T-shirt weather all day, I had layers in my backpack, but only put a windbreaker on top of base-layer for descent. Skiing on touring gear definitely feels different, skis while no soft are not particular stable, so when we reached pistes on way down I was fairly cautious, and boots feel strange too, at least for the first few turns. But despite a very long day I haven't got a single blister, so I guess this is all that matters, my legs feel quite fresh too - which is a big surprise as I thought I wouldn't be able to walk today. Probably will do the same next weekend unless weather changes. Planning a trip to Rosablanche, so should be using these glorious beautiful days for training. I find current conditions too warm for regular skiing to be enjoyable, so touring provide an opportunity both to challenge myself with something new, so I care less about the heat, and ski much lighter kit - while working on my tan and butt shape:smile:

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well last week was my third trip of the season and I couldn't have timed it better! Lots of fresh snow in CO last week and I really stepped up my game! I finally got to see what the big deal is about Vail on a powder day (back bowls are heaven!), I was able to rock my new skis, I didn't have any weird head game hangups, and I made some serious improvement in technique and confidence. I finally skied Horseshoe Bowl at Breck which is something that was a goal of mine (and I even did it more than once!). Most of my trip was spent off piste which is what I'm really starting to love. I took a half day lesson which I surprisingly got a lot out of (bumps and trees) and got in some sweet hot tub time! Had a blast, and even though I'm pretty sore (skied bell to bell just about every day) I'm still on a high from our trip. Good times! It was one of those trips where everything just fell into place perfectly.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Well last week was my third trip of the season and I couldn't have timed it better! Lots of fresh snow in CO last week and I really stepped up my game! I finally got to see what the big deal is about Vail on a powder day (back bowls are heaven!), I was able to rock my new skis, I didn't have any weird head game hangups, and I made some serious improvement in technique and confidence. I finally skied Horseshoe Bowl at Breck which is something that was a goal of mine (and I even did it more than once!). Most of my trip was spent off piste which is what I'm really starting to love. I took a half day lesson which I surprisingly got a lot out of (bumps and trees) and got in some sweet hot tub time! Had a blast, and even though I'm pretty sore (skied bell to bell just about every day) I'm still on a high from our trip. Good times! It was one of those trips where everything just fell into place perfectly.
I LOVE those!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well we all know this year started out with all that Sh*t Yuck snow, so I just chose the proper skis and adjusted my binding din to 21 and started having fun with what I got.
I now have 400+ days on my season pass and a killer goggle tan. Skis are long enough, boots tight enough, and just got my first base grind despite all the rock, tree and cement bike park path skiing I've been doing. Seen lots of yellow snow, still looking for the Gnome ….. now that its been declared an El Nino year, I'm thinking the next few months skiing will be insane!!!
Have I met my goals? yes, mine was to have the most fun and laugh the hardest!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna