• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

So, how's your season going?

maggie198

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My season is done, I had my last day at Sunday River on Saturday. Got to "participate" (heehee) in Parrothead Festival too. A good closer to my season! :smile:

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The season was a real downer for me until today. I had all of three mediocre off piste runs for an entire season, all back in January. Finally, on day 78, I did some brand new (to me) trees off one of the new runs at Flower Point, in addition to some other trees which I had done in that area prior to the new trails being cut and making the whole forest look different. (IE, I'd probably done those before even if I didn't recognize where I was.) Also hit East Rim Face in good, but not perfect condition, and survived.

I am glad I proved to myself that I can do that stuff, because I was looking at coming back next winter having done NOTHING off piste for almost two seasons and that fact concerned me. Only the fact that we finally got a noticeable amount of real powder over the frozen-in ruts and granite hard moguls made me confident enough to get myself out there.

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
Wow a nice success to have near the end of the season, especially if you hadn't had too many opportunities!

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have to say the Tribe had a very uneven season this year. I had high hopes after the early season snow - we all had gear that fit, including new base layers for our growing kids; we bought new skis (lightweight men's, ha) for our oldest DS, and I even convinced Dad of Redheads to take a ski vacation in NH over the holidays...:thumbsup:

In reality, the trip to BW was "meh." Even after the early snow, it warmed up over Christmas, and by the time we were there, there wasn't as much open as we had hoped... and then it all froze when the temperature dropped, and our kids hate being cold. Lots of whining and we even canceled what would have been a day at Cannon... also we tried the adaptive at BW, and had our first experience with the type of program where they ski with your child for a few hours - give them back to you - and then take them again in the afternoon. Not that I have a problem with that in theory, or that we minded having DD with us for the midday - but it felt like we wasted a lot of time getting to her at the right time and so on. And since we were tied to that schedule, we also ended up stuck eating in the Lodge at its most crowded time - which wasn't much fun, LOL.:noidea:

Then, kids lessons at our local hill - blah, blah... DH had his annual conference in Vail which fills his cup for the year leaving him loathe to put the effort into driving for weekend trips to the Catskills or Poconos... for the 3rd year our school only gave us 4 days over president's weekend for the February break (not that I would mind, but that used to be an entire week, and 4 days on the most crowded weekend of the season isn't worth our $$ and time to hit VT or wherever)...

We did take a "weekend" at Jack Frost to ski with the Boy Scout Troop - but if I'm going to spend $$ for a weekend, I'd rather it were Elk... and even that trip ended up with mixed results when DS's new skis were stolen. yes, stolen. Urgh. And that was at the end of February when it's almost easier to let that just end the season rather than trying to decide whether to rent or look for another new pair!:mad2::mad2:

We did take a last-minute trip to Okemo during April break - we've been lucky for 2 of the last 3 years it's been an early enough break to catch the end of the season in VT, but that's not a given by any stretch. Also, as far as our kids were concerned, they'd written the season off by then and didn't really even want to go! Anyway, Okemo was great, even if the ski school was closed and we had to ski with DD for the entire trip. It was our first time doing that, and we were a little skeptical about how that was going to pan out... to our pleasant surprise, having her with us didn't limit our choice of trails at all (at least, not at Okemo); she pretty much went down anything without significant complaint or fear. She was slow, leaving me or DH to trade off skiing slowly behind her while the boys had to wait at the bottom - but still, it was like seeing light at the end of the tunnel.:becky:

DH is ready to break the bank to take the kids out west next year, but that'll depend on when and how long we feel we can take the kids out of school. Our district really ends up punishing you for that - but if we only get 4 days in February, a trip out West wouldn't work at that time, and by April, it's probably risky.:cool:

Anyhoo - all the gear is washed to be put away, and I have to make a trip to return the rental boots and skis. So, an ambivalent adieu to this year's season from the Tribe of Redheads!:wave:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
DH is ready to break the bank to take the kids out west next year, but that'll depend on when and how long we feel we can take the kids out of school.

Uggh. What a season. If you can swing it - I definitely think out west could be a great experience. Just the views ... Man, I live here, and the last few days we've had clear skies, and I've just been awestruck by the views.

Jilly

Staff member
MofR - we had a friend that's parents decided to take the whole family skiing. Son's kids had one week, daughters kids had a different holiday week. The decision was to go the week of daughters kids. Son asked politely to school board...no you can't. But travel, foreign country (although USA), different language (Quebec), all good reasons to go. Board - no and we will punish you. They went, the kids were still young enough that they could catch up. Yours are too. GO!

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Highlights: I bought my first-ever pair of skis! No more season rentals! Surprisingly good early season snow - I actually had fun before Thanksgiving. Wasn't expecting that.

Low points: Spring skiing conditions in January and February (and March, and April - but I don't mind spring skiing in April). My one attempt to get out of town this year was a total cluster (Taos after a big dump when everyone from 3 states showed up and most of the mountain shut down for blasting and I waited 30-40 minutes in line to ski down the same run everyone else was skiing and after two runs I gave up and left.)

A-ha moment: My big a-ha was actually on x-c skis, not downhill, so I don't know if it "counts" here. I finally, finally had fun skate-skiing - enough that I'm ready to make skate skis my next winter gear purchase. I had originally tried to learn it several years ago, took a lesson, practiced a few times, and just got more and more frustrated and discouraged and finally gave up and decided that I was destined to be a classic skier. Well, after a few seasons of that, I got bored. The skaters looked like they were having more fun. And they were going faster. So this year, I decided to try again. We didn't make it out as much as we'd hoped, but my second time out, I finally felt like I was getting it. I almost had fun, even! My third time out was mostly fun. So yeah - now I want skate skis.

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
... the kids were still young enough that they could catch up. Yours are too. GO!

Hmmm. I'm sure you're remembering 5 years ago, or whatever it was, but DS1 is actually in high school! :faint:In this year's 3rd marking period (which pretty much covers the timeframe we're talking about), DS1 actually had 3 grades in the 60-75 range mid stream. :eek: He just... I don't know what... didn't complete assignments. :doh: Both big ones and homework. That's why pulling them out is going to be tricky. Skiing "Out West" would have to be earned or used as an incentive... hahahahaha

Anyway, I'm sure I'll be posting for information and advice from the Western divas next fall, but flying a family of 5 out to either Colorado or Utah is enough of an investment that we can't really leave planning a trip until last minute and chase snow or see how school's going...

This season's weather was just... odd... tons of snow and sub-freezing temperatures for weeks on end in January and Fenruary, and then suddenly... 60s. Everything gone so quickly. I don't know if that's how Winter ends for everyone, but that's not been uncommon for NJ - at least during our tenure here...

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hmmm. I'm sure you're remembering 5 years ago, or whatever it was, but DS1 is actually in high school! :faint:In this year's 3rd marking period (which pretty much covers the timeframe we're talking about), DS1 actually had 3 grades in the 60-75 range mid stream. :eek: He just... I don't know what... didn't complete assignments. :doh: Both big ones and homework. That's why pulling them out is going to be tricky. Skiing "Out West" would have to be earned or used as an incentive... hahahahaha

Anyway, I'm sure I'll be posting for information and advice from the Western divas next fall, but flying a family of 5 out to either Colorado or Utah is enough of an investment that we can't really leave planning a trip until last minute and chase snow or see how school's going...

This season's weather was just... odd... tons of snow and sub-freezing temperatures for weeks on end in January and Fenruary, and then suddenly... 60s. Everything gone so quickly. I don't know if that's how Winter ends for everyone, but that's not been uncommon for NJ - at least during our tenure here...
Having taken trips to Alta in April in recent years, I would say there isn't really that much risk if you choose the right location known for late season snow. Easter is early in 2016, so that means late season rates may start sooner. There were clearly families who booked lodging at Park City for spring break who ended up driving to Alta or BCC given the thin snow at PCMR/Canyons. I met a family from Baltimore with two kids who were having a good time. It was there first time skiing in Utah. Their home mountain is Roundtop. The higher ski resorts in Colorado are another common spring break destination for families.

Airfare is less on weekdays. Lots of VRBO options if you look around during the summer or early fall. Most people don't plan a ski trip until closer to Thanksgiving.

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great season for me. I spent my 2nd season teaching at Snowmass and it was even more fun than last year. I did over 100 hours of training in some awesome clinics and passed my Level 2 exam.

I skied yesterday at Breckenridge after a long absence and found that the runs that gave me trouble before were pieces of cake.

I made lots of new friends at Snowmass and now feel much more part of things. Headed to Mexico next week for a week on the beach. Life is good!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I skied yesterday at Breckenridge after a long absence and found that the runs that gave me trouble before were pieces of cake.

Kicking myself - I mentioned you passing the level 2, and Jenn pointed out we'd skied by you (or you by us), and I hadn't even realized! I would have congratulated you in person.

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Kicking myself - I mentioned you passing the level 2, and Jenn pointed out we'd skied by you (or you by us), and I hadn't even realized! I would have congratulated you in person.

Thanks! Small world! I saw Jenn in Vista Haus in the morning. We will have to ski together sometime.

mustski

Angel Diva
MofR - we had a friend that's parents decided to take the whole family skiing. Son's kids had one week, daughters kids had a different holiday week. The decision was to go the week of daughters kids. Son asked politely to school board...no you can't. But travel, foreign country (although USA), different language (Quebec), all good reasons to go. Board - no and we will punish you. They went, the kids were still young enough that they could catch up. Yours are too. GO!

Even if the kids are in HS - it's do-able if you plan. However, DS (a senior now) did ask to please not miss school this year because the catch up last year was really tough and that was with teacher's assistance before leaving. High School has gotten pretty crazy mainly because acceptance at U has gotten pretty crazy. If the kids all have the same spring break - plan for that week.

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
...You all inspired me to check next year's school calendar just to see when the April break will be thinking just maybe we could wait rather than taking kids out of school... Sadly, April break doesn't happen until April 18th next year! I think that's just about the latest it's been since we moved here to NJ. It's gonna be a long haul between New Year's and April 18th for the kiddies... last time we had such a late April break we at least had a full week off in February. Not next year...

Ah well, back to the "skipping school" idea for us. Waiting until late April when the kids have the week off seems to be pushing the limits of reliable skiing conditions (coverage, fair amount of terrain open, etc), pretty much no matter where we'd go...

Returning rental boots and skis today...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna