• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

So, how's your season going?

Jilly

Staff member
We had a thread about goals for the season etc. So, how is YOUR season going.

Mine - I was told at the start of the season at an instructor workshop that there was basically no hope in h#$l of getting my 3. So I took that as a challenge to prove this course conductor wrong for next season. I've been working with some of the 4's at Tremblant and getting the problems worked out. Then I've been instructing at our local bump with ladies night and a couple of weekends. All lessons I got were either wedge turns or never-ever's. I really hate snowplow, but its life and I get paid. But all my classes? The ladies night class ended up being 1 student at that level. It was a disaster. She wouldn't listen to instruction or work on the exercises. She decided that the handle tow was too much work. I wasn't going to take her up the chairlift when she couldn't complete a turn, stay in control or quit falling down. On the 3rd night of 2hour lessons, I gave up. And I guess it showed. I was "relieved" of my student because of my body language. Well in 33 years of ski teaching, I've only had 1 other fail. That lady was scared and wouldn't move. It took her daughter and I bribery to get her to move. So I like to think I know what I'm doing....especially with beginners. You can't teach someone who wants you to "learn" them. So ladies night is over at this point, I'm done teaching for the season.

With that it's time to play. Our school spring break is coming up and the office usually isn't that busy. Can I get away for a couple of days at the condo? Maybe I should take a look at the Sunday River gathering? Nope, not going to happen. One of my employees is scheduled for surgery, March 13th, so I'm stuck to weekends. He might be off for a month. I hate being the boss!

I know, I'm at least skiing which some of our Diva's are not for many reasons. Mother Nature being the biggest one in western NA.

So how is your season coming along??

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
My season... will not be soon forgotten!!!

In terms of goals, I've made some AWESOME progress in my skiing, which, YAY! was really the whole goal in teaching this season. I've finally done some double black diamonds. I can ski them now and make linked turns on them and not look totally clueless, if they aren't bumpy. I've even started to get into some bumps and work on those. I just sent the money in and got my email confirmation for my Level 1 exam March 21-22. Then March 23-34, I'm taking a PSIA Intro to Bumps to start getting some instruction on how best to ski them. I got DH skiing again this season after a 26 year hiatus and we've had a lot of fun skiing together this season. Next weekend, he and I are taking a much need break from working weekends to go up to the Adirondack Backcountry Fest to demo and play around with some AT set-ups, so I am REALLY looking forward to that. And of course, the Northeast has had a BANNER year for snow!!! :snow:

Its hasn't all been smooth sailing though. I've had a few rough lessons, particularly when I first started. (Though I did learn a ton from those experiences!) I've been sick more this winter than usual, which I am starting to suspect is coming from working with the little-little kids in ski school. And I've been skiing so much that I've fallen behind in some of my other work.

This week (after getting sick for the third time this winter) was the first week I didn't ski on my day off. Even worse, I didn't WANT to ski on my day off! :bag: I feel like I was at an all-you-can-eat-buffet of skiing this winter and I just reached the point of being painfully full! The sun is shining, it's still cold and there's still plenty of good snow to ski... and am not interested. :noidea: I'm hoping that the backcountry fest next weekend will get me excited about skiing again for the rest of the season, because right now, I'm ready for capris, flip-flops and rock climbing season!

SkiBam

Angel Diva
One thing I've learned this season is that I can survive in the COLD! Really, in the past I would say if it's minus 18 C (0 F) that's it, I don't go out. Well, if I had followed that rule this winter, I wouldn't have skied much! Buying boot heaters was key - lately I've been out for many full days when temps never got warmer than, say, minus 15 (and that by about 2 or 3 in the afternoon).

I'm so lucky to have a great group of friends to ski with - we just have so much fun, sometimes doing silly things like venturing a little too far off piste (@Jilly, way into the Edge woods and sort of having the ski patrol after us!), but generally having a blast - and most of the time being very responsible skiers and acting our age.

Perhaps due to the cold this winter, I've done as many or more x-c days as downhill and have learned my way around some what we call backcountry (ungroomed) trails near here. We've had some glorious days in the woods.

So, despite the unrelenting cold (maybe to end soon, but don't get too warm), it's been a wonderful season so far. And it ain't over til the fat lady sings (or maybe skis?).

@Jilly, we gotta get some days in together!

abc

Banned
Since I've set no goal for the season, I can easily say my season has gone splendidly.

But for me, this is barely the half way point. Many years, this is the time I really SSTART to ski. So, whatever I've done, it's more than what I used to do. And since those days were not miserable (some even good ones), I have to say my season had "started" rather well.

Tvan

Angel Diva
I'm in the minority here, but this season has been disappointing. We have fantastic snow here in the east, but between my husband's work schedule, timing of snowstorms, and the weather being so cold, we have just not done much skiing. I don't know why, but I am feeling the cold much more this year than I ever have before. Can't explain it.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Until this week I'd have said it was average. We skied 7 days at home before leaving on vacation, and they were fun times spent with friends, but just normal Michigan skiing, for the most part. This week in Taos, however, has really made it something to remember. More fun times with friends we only see once a year, but such strides made in confidence and skiing!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Sadly, I have to say this is one of the worst ski seasons I can remember. Just arrived in Tahoe today for 10 days and skied Northstar today. They do an amazing job of snowmaking but there is so little base…. It's pathetic. Today was day 7 which I can't even believe. Last year I skied 45 days with 12 in France and Switzerland…the rest in tahoe (and Tahoe had a low snowfall season as well). It snowed today a little (maybe an inch)…and more is expected this weekend. Am going to Heavenly on Sunday for my timeshare week, but honestly my expectations are low as serious snowfall is not expected… Definitely should have joined the divas in Big Sky, but haven't taken lessons in probably 10 years (been skiing 35 +) and all the east coast divas seem to take clinics and lessons regularly…. Also, this year I have been having back issues and had an MRI last week which showed neuro-foraminal compression which I think is like bulging disc. I have been referred to a physical medicine doctor (physiatrist) for cortisone injections… not sure how this happened (old age?) or if it is even treatable, but nevertheless am still skiing… I know you guys on the east coast are freezing and sick of snow, but the Sierras really need the snow….

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
After a REALLY ROUGH and prolonged start, I'm finally in the groove. However, I have this niggling concern that the reason I'm doing well is there is nothing but groomers to ski on. Off piste? Rough surface with snow the quality of marble. So, IF WE EVER GET ENOUGH SNOW to bury that stuff, will I be skiing it? Unsure. Corduroy and ice has resuscitated my old East Coast skills, which were really rusty, but not sure about my powder and trees skills.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lack of snow in the Sierra is worrisome, and it's sad seeing Mammoth so dry, try as they might to groom what they have. It's so dang warm. Opposite of what's going on in the east.

My hand issues are much better now to where I'm back to knitting, and skiing one day was ok, but that along with other stuff...yeah, tough season.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I've had a pretty good season that's about to get a lot better (DIVA WEST NEXT WEEK!!!). So I'm excited!

Yesterday was my 59th ski day, and I'm psyched about skiing day #60 on Monday! Most of them have been at Okemo here in Vermont, with a few days at Killington, Pico, and Stratton mixed in. Plus I had a great trip to Quebec this month, where I skied Le Massif and Mont Sainte-Anne, and loved them both. And with both Bridger and Big Sky coming up fast, and Sunday River at the end of March, well, not too shabby!

Since mid-January, we've had a number of days with light, dry, fluffy powder, which is uncommon here in New England. But there've been many days with below zero and single digit temperatures, and frankly, I'm getting a little tired of it. Still, the extreme cold and good snow pack mean that I'll probably be skiing til mid-April. So maybe, just maybe I'll tie my last year's record: 85 ski days.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Because this is a colder than usual winter?

That's for darn sure!!

Just did a count of days and realize I'l never catch up to ski diva. But I have 60, equally divided between x-c and downhill.

Sibhusky, I tend to think that perfecting your skills on the groomers will result in better off-piste skiing when you get it. Anyway, that's my theory and I'm sticking to it!

SkadiSkiGrrl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I must say, I am having a great season, though I wish I could get up to the mountains more. My goal is 20 days on the snow. We didn't take a trip out West this year, again, but that in retrospect has worked out for the best.

As for the bitter cold, I love the cold! It is a nice dry cold this year, and I don't feel it in my bones like a typical East Coast winter. The days are blue and bright, and hey, if it weren't for the bitter cold and lack of melting, we would have more ice. So, look on the bright side!

As for my personal goals, I am recovering/managing cubital tunnel syndrome, which put a damper on my season and my fitness routine last year, so I feel out of it. My goal this year has been to make my skiing more dynamic, and it has been working for me. I had my daughter take a video of me skiing and have used it to make some changes to the way I ski--I was just in a rut. So, I did some tweaking based on what I saw.

I am NOW A) skiing more parallel and with my skis closer together B) getting way forward in my boots which has been difficult as I am out of shape and my boots are on the stiff side C) committing to the fall-line and the speed (having confidence in my ability to stop and turn) D) keeping my upper body stationary while not sacrificing the use of my poles E) Varying the size of my arcs when I turn on steeper terrain. Finally, I have made a commitment to have more confidence in the skills I have acquired in the past couple of years instead of just thinking about them, and to fight the impulse to resort to those "safety nets" (bad habits) that have held me back.

Another goal of mine has been to advance to more challenging terrain. My daughter and I took the Black Diamond Clinic (off-piste 101) at Stowe during our first trip this season and it really has given me a lot of confidence not to mention some great technical tips. Already this season I have done intermediate glades, black moguls, and my first double black (Outrage at Okemo) but my jury is still out as to just how "double black" this slope REALLY is, since it's my first. Will this be my ticket to ride every double black I encounter? I am not stupid, nor do I have a death wish, so no, but I feel pretty great about having done it.

Finally, I took the plunge and bought my first pair of skis and poles, which I love. It is so great to just be able to head right for the mountain.

SkadiSkiGrrl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Seriously? I just spent way too much time droning on about my season so far and accidentally deleted it! ARRRRRGGGGH! Oh, well! In a nutshell, it's been great. Love the snow, love the cold, new skis and poles (love them too) and I have improved tremendously after a long rut in my skiing. So, yeah, all's good. Skiing more dynamically (iPhones are a great way to document your skiing and to make improvements), venturing off piste, visited a new resort this year, shared the sport with new friends and family, first double black diamond...even the fact that we again did not take a trip out West has been fortuitous in this freakishly perfect year here in the East. Yes, it's powder, and it hasn't had a chance to melt and ice up! Is this for real or am I dreaming?

Tallyski

Diva in Training
I have made it my absolute goal this year to ski moguls/bumps well without issue and I have made great strides with it! I'm starting to consistently connect all my turns without stopping or making too big of a mistake. The weather overall has been pretty good. Though I think some of the best skiing was when we got all that lake effect snow the week before Thanksgiving. These past two weeks have been unbearably cold but I think March is going to be great! Plus I'm going to be in Big Sky the end of the month and I'm really looking forward to that.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
What @VickiK said, with the addition of an injured DH. I've managed about 10 days at Mammoth (fun, but poor!), 2 at Snow Summit (fun and OK), and 6 at Big Sky (fun but a bit warmer than expected!).

Of course, I abandoned all my goals when he hurt himself in mid-October, so I guess I can't complain. And as @abc said, there is plenty of season left (particularly if Mammoth would get some snow!!!).

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My skin season is doing great. Skied back side of Mt. Fort today, my first time this season and the first time I skied it with some sort of confidence, was still very cautious in the couloir, but top traverse wasn't even an issue. So, I am happy, and considering we had no snow all December the season is amazing!

Christy

Angel Diva
Pros: 2 trips to Sun Valley with great conditions, seeing the World Championships, skiing Telluride for the first time.
Cons: Local skiing so poor it's not worth the time or money. New boot trouble made for a frustrating beginning.
Pros about the cons: We've been so busy with a house addition/remodel that it's just as well it's a bad snow year. Worked out the boot issues.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly