• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

So, how's your season going?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
So Tahoe finally got snow and it was awesome…. Received 9 inches overnight at Northstar and probably another 9 inches today…. Temps were cold so not the usual sierra cement…. Just skied on Volkl Kenja's and had a blast!!!! Going to Heavenly tomorrow for a week!

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I had 2 big goals for this season. They may seem meagre in the context of others' abilities, but for me they were important and challenging to achieve.
My first goal was to ski a whole run (from the top of the mountain to the bottom) without stopping, all in one go, without letting fear get the better of me. And I'm happy to say I achieved it last week, multiple times, and yesterday again! I skied a blue run, "world cup downhill" from the top of lookout mountain to the village several times. Not sure how long it is, but it is about 700 meters vertical. I felt like superwoman.
My second goal was to try skiing blacks - and I've done 3! None with bumps, and they were all fairly short, but more challenging than anything else I've tried so far, and I'm really happy about it.

altagirl

Staff member
Extremely mediocre. We started off strong, but then it was practically summer for January and February. I finally went skiing today after a long break and it was pretty good. It's finally snowing and I got a few decent powder runs in - yay! Though it was definitely a mixed bag - some areas were pretty fun and others were pretty scratchy and icy under the fresh snow. But I guess you take what you can get in years like this. Lots of local friends joking on Facebook that 2" is what we're calling a powder day now, etc.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's been a pretty good season for me so far. The new boots are working well, and I'm really happy with my current selection of skis. DH is now semi-healthy and back to skiing, and I've stayed healthy. I've crashed more in the last 2 weeks than I have in the last 2 years :eek:, but other than a big bruise on my left arm, only my ego was damaged.

I got to test 29 pairs of next years skis at Test Fest.....my highlight of the year so far. We've had a couple of powder days, and I'm finally getting back in the groove with my racing (although I completely freaked on the big hill last week and didn't even make the top 10 women). So excited for the downhill next week!!!!!

mustski

Angel Diva
My ski season has been below average for sure. Year 4 of the CA drought has meant short ski days - think 3 hours. However, I had a blast in Utah skiing with some of my favorite divas. For me this has been a season that is all about boots! I have decided that there will be no more boot fitters in my life. I plan to remain single and DIY - other than having a fitter cook my intuition liners. What I have learned is that the fitters don't listen to me. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I am an excellent communicator. I know that I have been very clear as to the issues with my boots. I have shims, heel lifts, and padding galore to prove that I was clear.

I also have improved greatly as a skier because I have learned to ski in high performance boots that are way too stiff and way too big. On Saturday, I had to ski serious ice which is rare for us. I became really OCD about the boots, but cranked them down and managed. On hero snow today, I just skied them loose and depended on centering myself correctly. Long story short, I already bought new Chakras and I am eagerly awaiting their delivery. My season has sucked, but I am a better skier for it.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, I have prioritized skiing for the season, and I've skied more days so far than any season I've ever had. I'm also seeing tangible improvements in my skiing - it's two steps forward, one step back, and I have to remind myself that that's NORMAL - that learning/honing skills isn't something that happens with a nice, linear progression.

Anyway, the time off has given me the opportunity to ski with different people, and in different conditions, than I normally ski, and to ski more days in a row than I usually ski (oh man, my legs!). And I just got back from my first trip to Crested Butte, and I'm psyched to go to Big Sky. All in all, it's been a great season. Normally, by March, I'm starting to distance myself from skiing - but this season, I still have so many plans and so much I want to do.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sibhusky, I tend to think that perfecting your skills on the groomers will result in better off-piste skiing when you get it. Anyway, that's my theory and I'm sticking to it!

I completely agree with this. A few seasons ago, Breck's snow came late, so I took tons of lessons on groomers when ordinarily we'd be heading up to the more "interesting" terrain. When the snow finally came - sure enough, all that time working on technique paid huge dividends.

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have very low expectations since I have not been out much at all the past few seasons. I am stoked that I got ski days 4 and 5 today. Plus we are getting our 4 year old out in lessons this year, and it is so fun to see her enjoy it.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
@Sheena - great to hear from you again! Sounds like the family has kept you way, way busy - and many of us do know how this goes in the young-kid years. Hope everyone is doing great!

patoswiss

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My season has been pretty good so far. This is my 3rd season back from a @15 yr hiatus. Season 1 was: figure out how to ski again:smile: (and get the 2 kids skiing). Season 2 was: commit to actually getting better and get off the easy slopes and take some risks. This Season: I really wanted learn about the edges of my skis and get the speed up with control. And try to get skills back that I used to have. So far so good! Our week in Austria in Feb gave me several kid free days (with perfect conditions) to really concentrate on activating my entire body to take command of my skis, my speed and my turns. I upgraded my skis and they are forcing me to improve. All in all, a good season so far.

And my kids and husband are doing incredibly well. That is also pushing me to keep getting better so I can keep up with them.:smile:

iamOshawott

Certified Ski Diva
Last year was my first season and I pulled a 30+ days but this season I don't think I can even get 15 days. I want to get better but we just don't have the snow. I had high expectation for this season but now I'm just disappointed. I am about to sacrifice my Cloud 7 to Ullr so maybe the PNW can get some snow!

I got to ski somewhere new this season I guess, Colorado was fun.

frenchgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It has been tough for me health wise(Achilles tendinitis, Morton neuroma and to be diagnosed swollen toe pinkie) so my skiing has been a lot less. However this year I started off the bat with a carver ski vs the black pearl and I was able to catch up to last year real quick. I have more confidence in slopes that have given me problems in the past so I am glad about that.

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Sheena - great to hear from you again! Sounds like the family has kept you way, way busy - and many of us do know how this goes in the young-kid years. Hope everyone is doing great!

Yeah, much busier than I ever expected. I had such high ambitions, and to be honest things have been so much harder than I ever imagined. Plus, now that my DH is finally getting on board with watching the little ones so I can go out, and actually sharing the child care duties, its getting easier. I hope it just continues to get easy. It was so doable with just one, and taking turns skiing. But we tried a few times last year taking up all three, and it ended up being an unhappy experience for all of us.

Xinga

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Since I thought I wasn't going to get to ski this season, or possibly ever again, after a medical issue discovered about this time last season, I am having my most amazing ski season EVER!
I have prioritized skiing higher and decided that if I'm going to improve, it's now or never.
That inspiration has gotten me a huge amount of improvement this year!
My goal was to get from the level 8 lesson groups I've been slowly improving in over the last couple seasons to a true level 9 this season.
After 50 days so far this season, I think I'm darn close and still have a month and a half of weekends to ski.
Hooray for kick-in-the-butt inspiration, even if it's darn frightening!

NZfarmgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I completely agree with this. A few seasons ago, Breck's snow came late, so I took tons of lessons on groomers when ordinarily we'd be heading up to the more "interesting" terrain. When the snow finally came - sure enough, all that time working on technique paid huge dividends.

I also agree with this, I used to spend all my time off piste and I don't think I looked that good and was always sore and exhausted. After a couple of bad snow years and lots of time on groomers actually learning correct technique, I am now a much better and more efficient off piste skier. I can ski difficult terrain better, even though I've spent less time on it.
I'm enjoying hearing about all your skiing experiences on this thread. My season doesn't start until mid June

vtooch

Angel Diva
While the snowfall amounts here in central PA have been disappointing compared to last year, I am pleased that I have still had a pretty decent season thanks to colder temps. This year I bought new skis and bindings that I feel suit me very well. I am still struggling with boots, but hope to have that figured out soon. This is only my second full season of skiing and I am happy that I have progressed further than I thought I would. Practice, practice, practice! I am not ready for the season to end!

Dianna

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My season has been a blast! I am in Co. This season so every mountain is new for me. I have about 50 days on mountain and the new skis are wonderful. Not as many powder days as I had hoped for but good snow none the less. I didn't set any goals but had planned on volunteering at Brecks adaptive program, but didn't, so slightly bummed about that, but.... I have gotten use to longer runs here and now have no trouble top to bottom and am close to 800,000 vertical ft. With the long runs, my legs and back hurt sure but my wrist and shoulders are getting the work out of there life. Thank The Lord for Hot Tubs! I am in Co. Thru end of April so with A basin can ski til the end. Life is good!

Zez

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good, but I guess my expectations are low!!! We've all gone from skiing blues at Sierra at Tahoe but being terrified, to doing so confidently. We finally took another lesson! We've managed 2 days at Squaw too.

So a total of 13 days so far.

We were supposed to go this last weekend and even managed to get a new car after the car totaling debacle. But in Monday my daughter stripped when playing out and currently has a suspected fracture of her ankle. It's not showing on x Ray, but we go back tomorrow to re check. It could be on the growth plate.

Aiming for 20 days but expecting more like 18. We have visitors the next 3 weekends so no skiing, but with H's leg that's probably a good thing! Next booked for 29th March. Can't wait!

Zez

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh Santacruz skier! You make me want to cry! We should have been there this weekend!!!! Sierra had 17 inches at the weekend and now we can't go for a month! Weep!!! Pray it stays cold enough or they get lots more!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good, but I guess my expectations are low!!! We've all gone from skiing blues at Sierra at Tahoe but being terrified, to doing so confidently.

Nice job! That sounds like even if you had high expectations, you'd be meeting them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna