• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing in the Mid-Atlantic (PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA, WV) for 2014-15

Jersey Fresh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
On a side note when are the NJ/PA places supposed to open? I think my brother goes to Blue maybe? I dont even remember anymore what we skied in high school.

marzNC

Angel Diva
On a side note when are the NJ/PA places supposed to open? I think my brother goes to Blue maybe? I dont even remember anymore what we skied in high school.
I think the only date posted so far is that Hunter in the NY Catskills plans to open on Nov. 21. I've heard they started up their snow guns today. I'm hoping that happens and they stay open during Thanksgiving week. I'm driving to Lake Placid for Thanksgiving and could stop by on the way north.

I get the sense that Thanksgiving weekend is a target, but it all depends on the weather. Mid-Atlantic ski areas like to start instructor training on weekends in early Dec if at all possible.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Looks like SkiPA redid the website. From the summary of changes made over the summer, quite a few PA ski resorts are really pushing to find new skiers.

https://www.skipa.com/play/what-s-new-on-pa-slopes-2014-15

Seven Springs and Camelback have built features in the teaching area in order to use "terrain based" instruction for beginners, both kids and adults. For an example of what that means, check out the video that Snowshoe posted on their website.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's rare for eastern PA/Pocono mountains to open before Thanksgiving. Usually early-mid Dec depending on weather

SkiQT

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Blue Mountain posted on Facebook that they tested the snow guns this morning so I guess they are trying to get everything in order to start making snow once the temps cooperate [emoji2]

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Go Blue! They're at least usually one of the first to open, which is funny b/c they're pretty far south compared to a lot of the other mountains.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Yippee! :snow:
As far as I can tell, every mountain in NC, WV, MD, and VA is actively snowmaking today. Wintergreen has a new webcam that shows Eagle Swoop. Not much wind today at Mnut, so the snow guns are making snow piles fast.

SkiPA says Camelback is looking to open Nov. 28. Snowmaking in progress.

@Marigee : any word about Whitetail's Opening Date?

Marigee

Angel Diva
@Marigee : any word about Whitetail's Opening Date?[/QUOTE]

If the cold weather holds Whitetail might be open the weekend after Thanksgiving, but the weather is supposed to warm up a little Thanksgiving week, so I am thinking somewhere around 12/6 - 12/13.

We have our annual on-the-hill training Sunday, so I will have better info then.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Blue is blowing snow tonight!

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
HV and Springs started blowind snow on Wednesday night and last night got a 2" boost from mother nature and are up to an 8" base on some slopes with no warm weather in sight.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I think everyone is making snow tonight....even if it's "marketing" snow....
In NC, it's more than for marketing purposes this weekend. The forecast for the next week means they can build enough base that it might last through whatever warm weather comes in the next month. At least on the upper slopes. In NC, can ski on a base of 6-8 inches on almost all trails.

One advantage of a tiny place is that it's possible to put down 4-6 inches in 24 hours on 50% or more of the skiable acreage.

Apparently the Snowtime trio in PA are not blowing yet.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Snowshoe put it an additional webcam and they promised to add two more soon on their facebook page. Snowshoe is fun to look on webcams - they just had some natural snow, it's cold so the snow is not melting and they are blowing lots of snow.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Temps were in the teens in most places in the southeast (NC, WV, VA) this morning. Snowmaking everywhere in the region last night.

Heard that Mnut will add a third webcam soon. They are getting support from SkiSE for their webcam installations. Same for the new Wintergreen live webcam.

marzNC

Angel Diva
After looking at a temperature map, makes more sense that few places in PA geared up for snowmaking last week. The NC, WV, VA mountains along the Appalachian chain got the low temps a lot sooner and the cold will stay for a while. Massanutten and Wintergreen can exists as ski resorts because they are just far west enough to be in decent snowmaking weather to have a 10-week ski season pretty consistently, with 12-14 weeks a possibility every few years.

This is a temperature map at 1:15pm. The darker blue means 25-30 degrees.

Screen Shot 2014-11-15 at 1.16.09 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Ran across the Mid-Atlantic thread from 2009-2010. That year nothing in VA/WV opened until early or mid December. And then . . . there was the huge blizzard around Dec. 18 that closed down roads and airports in metro DC, northern VA, and PA for days. Followed by another blizzard in Feb. First season I had a season pass at Mnut. First time I got to ski powder at Mnut.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna