• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing in the Mid-Atlantic (PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA, WV) for 2014-15

marzNC

Angel Diva
I realize it's way too early to even guess when snowmaking will start in the mid-Atlantic (Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Washington DC, Maryland, Virginia, and West Virginia.), but here are places to consider for fun this winter. Hope to meet more Mid-A Divas this winter!

VA: Massanutten, Wintergreen, Bryce
MD: Wisp
WV: Snowshoe, Canaan Valley, Timberline, Winterplace

PA, western: Blue Knob, Seven Springs, Hidden Valley
PA, closest to DC: Liberty, Roundtop, Whitetail
PA, eastern: Elk, Montage, Jack Frost, Blue, Camelback, Bear Creek, Big Boulder

NY Catskills: Belleayre, Hunter, Windham, Plattekill

If you missed the 2013-14 Mid-Atlantic thread, click here.

Last edited by a moderator:

marzNC

Angel Diva
@dianakate : saw in the swap thread that you'd like to check out Mnut some weekend. I'll definitely be there Jan. 10-11. That's the weekend Freestyle of Charlottesville will have a demo tent again. I'll probably be around on the holiday weekends too, assuming that my friends with kids are interested.

Hoping that there will be enough cold weather that the ski slopes will be fun by Dec. 19-21. My daughter will be home for winter break then.

dianakate

Angel Diva
Yes, thanks! Not sure why I thought both of you posts were in the same thread... anyway, I will certainly plan on coming to Mnut that weekend in January. Daughter and I will be at Roundtop or Whitetail or Liberty most Saturdays during the season and I go up as much as I can during the week, so would love to meet others in the area!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Yes, thanks! Not sure why I thought both of you posts were in the same thread... anyway, I will certainly plan on coming to Mnut that weekend in January. Daughter and I will be at Roundtop or Whitetail or Liberty most Saturdays during the season and I go up as much as I can during the week, so would love to meet others in the area!
You saw the Mid-A swap post before it was moved to the general swap thread.

Last year, Mnut ski school set up a special Women's Clinic the Sunday morning of the demo weekend. I'm hoping they will do it again. Click here for the trip report that includes some pics. The instructor, Julie, is PSIA Level 3. She is manages the children's program, which is called Slopesliders.

There are several other Divas who get season passes to the Snow Time areas. I'm sure you'll be able to meet up with them sooner or later.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Massanutten season passes went on sale last week. Call during regular business hours. The prices are the same as last year. $450 for the full adult pass (any day/night, no blackout dates), $375 full student, and $219 Special Value (Sun-Fri, nights, holiday blackout dates). Deadline for 10% early bird discount is Nov. 25, 2014. At full price, if you ski mainly on weekends then need to use it at least 7 times since a weekend 8-hour ticket is $68. Weekday adult 8-hr is $46 and night skiing is 36. Assuming window prices will be the same as last year.

Wintergreen seems to have cut their season pass price. $299 before Nov. 15. But still only good for Mon-Fri, Sun afternoons, and night skiing. With holiday blackout dates. Weekend 8-hour ticket is $74. Weekday adult 8-hr is $52 and night skiing is $35. But the Highlands (all black runs) close at 4pm because there are no lights there.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@dianakate I just wanted to say hi and that I ski either Whitetail or Roundtop every weekend, if you ever wish to meet up just message me. Also I wanted to say that I was at Mnut during demo days and women's clinic and instructors at Mnut, especially Julie were fantastic, demo days were a lot of fun too.

dianakate

Angel Diva
@dianakate I just wanted to say hi and that I ski either Whitetail or Roundtop every weekend, if you ever wish to meet up just message me. Also I wanted to say that I was at Mnut during demo days and women's clinic and instructors at Mnut, especially Julie were fantastic, demo days were a lot of fun too.
Fantastic! I would love to meet up sometime and will definitely message you. And I have the Mnut women's clinic on my calendar and plan to be there barring any unforseen obligations.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Wondering if anyone has been to the Snowshoe Demo Days? Looks like they are the weekend of Dec. 6-7 this season.

Wintergreen is supposed to have demos by sales reps on Dec. 20. Meaning multiple tents, as opposed to when Freestyle of Charlottesville sets up one tent and has stuff from the brands that they carry in their shops. Freestyle will have free demos at Wintergreen Dec. 26-27. But if the Highlands aren't open yet, then demo runs end up pretty short.

Are there any demo days in PA before Christmas? @tinymoose ? @Marigee ?

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are there any demo days in PA before Christmas? @tinymoose ? @Marigee ?

Demo days before Christmas? lol Dunno, but we're usually lucky to be skiing by Christmas, let alone demo days.

Most are after the New Year, although I think Jack Frost usually has a couple in late December right before/after Christmas based on what I'm seeing on previous year's calendars online. It seems places don't yet have their 14-15 events calendars posted yet, other than tent sale info.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Demo days before Christmas? lol Dunno, but we're usually lucky to be skiing by Christmas, let alone demo days.
LOL. Sugar Mountain in NC has demo days in mid-Dec as part of SugarFest. They typically can get one run open from the top, plus a few others off the main lift. There are years where it's total nonsense, but it's rarely cancelled due to lack of snowmaking weather. That's where I first learned that I could tell the difference between skis even as an intermediate if I was willing to try anything that was remotely the right length. Made for a fun way to get a head start on the southeast ski season.

Marigee

Angel Diva
Usually the Demo Day at Whitetail is at the beginning of January. It is sponsored by The Ski Center, (www.skicenter.com.) Last year it was January 3, but they haven't posted a date for this season yet.

Marigee

Angel Diva
Most of the public schools in the area generally go back on Jan. 2/3. I think last year they may have gone back on the 6th, because Jan 3rd was a Friday, but even then it wasn't crowded.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Snowshoe announced a 3-day pass called "3 for All" that will be only be available at select retailers or events on specific days Sept-Nov 2014. The list includes locations in DC, VA, NC, SC (Greenville), TN, GA (Atlanta), PA (Pittsburgh), OH, and Peter Glenn in FL. A few buying opportunities are at Warren Miller screenings. $129 for any 3 days, no blackouts, do not need to be consecutive days, non-transferable. Limit 20 per household.

https://www.snowshoemtn.com/plan-your-trip/deals-and-packages/3-for-all-pass.aspx

Seems like a creative way to entice people to give Snowshoe a try for the first time. The retailers are mostly ski shops, but also includes a few REI stores. Since it covers three days, provides an incentive to extend a weekend stay for an extra day. Midweek adult window rate is $79 and weekend adult is $84. So even for a weekend, not bad for two ski days.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Updated list of swaps and sales:

Oct. 15-18: Buckman's Tent Sale in King of Prussia, Montgomeryville, Reading and Whitehall, PA
Oct. 18-19: Wick's Ski and Sport Consignment Sale, Exton, PA
Oct. 18-19: swap Liberty at Fall Fest, PA
Oct. 25-26: swap at Whitetail at the Outdoor Festival, PA
Oct. 26: Ski Center in DC
Nov. 1: Ski Chalet in Gaithersburg, MD
Nov. 1: Ski Haus in Annapolis, MD
Nov. 8-9: Freestyle in Charlottesville, VA
Nov. 8-9: Alpine Ski Shop, VA (DC metro)
Nov. 28: Wintergreen Ski Patrol, VA (fundraiser)

If anyone reading is close to the NC mountains, Appalachian in Boone has having their pre-season tent sale Oct. 17-26, which includes a swap.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly