• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing in the Mid-Atlantic (PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA, WV) for 2014-15

MissySki

Angel Diva
A few days ago when TK did his snowcast on the ski the east website he claimed snowshoe would get like feet of snow in this storm.. Way more than everyone else.. Not sure if this has/will hold up?

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A few days ago when TK did his snowcast on the ski the east website he claimed snowshoe would get like feet of snow in this storm.. Way more than everyone else.. Not sure if this has/will hold up?
Judging from the webcams Snowshoe got got maybe 4 inches altogether, looks like 2 accumulated. So not that much. It will melt cause in the next few days it will be warm. But maybe some of that made with the snow guns will hold up and the temps will be below freezing after Thursday so they can make plenty of snow hopefully. And it might snow again. :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
A bit south for this thread, but Sugar and Cataloochee in NC opened on Nov. 2. They typically try to beat each other for first-to-open honors. Most likely will only be open on weekends until after Thanksgiving. Hoping for plenty of cold weather in Nov and Dec in NC/VA/WV/PA.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are there any demo days in PA before Christmas? @tinymoose ? @Marigee ?

So I finally have an answer for you... Buckman's is having a demo day 12/19 at Jack Frost. So far that's the only one I'm aware of.

ALSO... Hunter is planning to open on 11/21 as of right now!!!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Turns out that the NC mountains got dumped on Nov. 1. 8-10 inches around Boone, which certainly gave Sugar a headstart. They had the snow guns blazing on the open trails Nov. 2. Beech also got at least 8 inches, but they aren't talking about an opening date quite yet.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Timberline in WV has announced Dec. 12 as their opening day.

The new lodge at Canaan Valley celebrated the grand opening a few weeks ago. No word on an opening date yet.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Snowshoe got a couple of inches of snow today and the snow guns are on and blasting! It looks like starting next week there will be a long stretch of cold snowmaking temps so hopefully good coverage by Thanksgiving opening day.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Snowshoe got a couple of inches of snow today and the snow guns are on and blasting! It looks like starting next week there will be a long stretch of cold snowmaking temps so hopefully good coverage by Thanksgiving opening day.
You going to Snowshoe for Thanksgiving again?

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great to hear that DH is going too!

I'll be up in NH in early Dec after spending Thanksgiving with DD in Lake Placid. Going to check out as many places as possible. Finishing with a day or two at Sunday River. Found I could get a timeshare unit very close to SR.
Yes, I am glad he is going this year too. Your trip sounds fun! I have heard good things about SR.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The first screening of Pretty Faces in VA will be at the Grandin Theater in Roanoke on Dec. 9. I have a direct conflict or else I would probably make the drive.

Jersey Fresh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just wanted to post and say hi MarzNC- I found my way over :smile:

And I've been watching the Snowshoe FB page like a hawk. Hoping to make it out there the first weekend in dec.

Any swaps in the Nj/PA area near xmas? Or demo days? Looks like I'll be there for snowshoes demo.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Just wanted to post and say hi MarzNC- I found my way over :smile:

And I've been watching the Snowshoe FB page like a hawk. Hoping to make it out there the first weekend in dec.

Any swaps in the Nj/PA area near xmas? Or demo days? Looks like I'll be there for snowshoes demo.
Hello again!

@tinymoose mentioned that Jack Frost usually had something going on in late Dec.

Would like to hear what sort of skis are at the Snowshoe demo.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Buckman's is doing a demo day at Jack Frost on 12/19 and Alpina Ski Shop usually has a demo day between Christmas and New Year's at Jack Frost as well, although I haven't seen a date posted for the Alpina demo day yet.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Massanutten will have a demo weekend put on by Freestyle of Charlottesville in early Jan again. Dates are Jan. 10-11. The past couple years there has been a pretty good selection of women's skis. Even some short enough for me.

Mnut is offering a special Women's Clinic again on Sun, Jan. 11, 9:30-11:30, $30. Pretty sure Julie will be one of the instructors. We had a very good lesson last time. I'll start a separate thread soon.

Jersey Fresh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ok cool. Im not going to be heading to NJ until the 20 or 21 since Ive got a business trip the week of the 19th. But ill see if the one after xmas works. I might pack my stuff and head out a day if the weather cooperates. That will keep me from being home iwth my parents 24/7 for a week (I do love them dearly but they wear me out :smile:)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna