• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Review: 2010/2011 Rossignol s110w

Witchery

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Did you get your skis? How'd they go at Wolf Creek??

Yay. Thank you for all the replies. I feel much better now!

UPS says they'll be waiting for me when i get home tonight. Will take them in for mounting -- at 0 -- tomorrow and then take them up to Wolf Creek for the long weekend. :thumbsup:

A report will follow. Maybe with photos maybe not depending on how much fun is being had!

cleopatra

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know this is getting repetitive, but have to agree with all the amazing reviews. I am an intermediate skier, and was hesitant on getting the s110, especially in a 168, but I have never been happier. They perform so great on pow, bumps, crud, pack. I actually had a couple of strangers say to me 'you make that look easy', huge compliment in 10cm of fresh snow. Can't say enough about these skis, so totally in love!

Witchery

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Glad you love your skis!! Always puts a smile on my face hearing how excited someone gets over their new skis!!

Jerez

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, the snow went north, so I did too and headed for Copper instead of Wolf Creek.

Missed the real dump by a day, but there was about 4" of wet, cut up snow and hail on top of big bumps at Copper on MLK day when they went for their maiden voyage. I was all ready to be amazed by the ski but to be honest, i had more fun the day before on my regular skis on a semi-soft surface and same bumps. (I love powder and crud, so this is not because I'm new at this.)

They skied very short. They have less ski in front of the binding than my 160 Fisher Wateas and so it felt strange. The turns they make are tiny; wow. and they skip over the crud not through it, which meant being hammered a little more than I'm used to.

I kept thinking I was going to go head over handlebars with so little ski in front, although I never did and was told it "looked good". They did turn very easily in the bumps and the long(er) tail never got caught up. But I found that to ski them well i had to force myself to ski more forward than felt comfortable because of the head over handlebars feeling.

So, here's my question: Is this something I have to just get used to? I did not feel this way skiing Head Jimis last year or skiing Line Pandoras, both of which are wide, early rise skis. Was it just the conditions and it would have been even more work on something else? Was it me?

Or was it the mounting point? Should I get them re-mounted at -2? Can one move a mounting point that small a distance and will it hurt the integrity of the ski?:noidea:

Jerez

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the first year's Rossi S7s (176) -- I bought them used, w/o bindings. I wanted them mounted as close as 0 as possible, but forward, and the shop messed up and mounted them at +3. They were really fun in soft but not so deep snow, or through trees, but in deep snow there wasn't enough tip. I felt constantly like I was going over the front.

So this fall I had them remounted back where I originally wanted, and I do like them better that way, they are more versatile.

So, Pinto, this is how I felt on mine at 0 mount. Should I move them back?

Unlike many other posters here, I did not think they felt heavy at all. They are super light for such a big ski. I have Marker Squires mounted on them. Also Stats on me: 5'4" and 120 lbs. the skis are 168s.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Can't help you with the binding mount issue as Outdoor Divas mounted my bindings and I honestly don't know at what point they are mounted at.

Where did you ski at Copper on Monday? I was there and didn't find the conditions you were talking about. Granted, we stayed on the Alpine lift due to high winds and many lifts being closed.

My suggestion is to ski them a few more times and see how they feel before you make changes.

BTW, I'm on my second season on mine and am loving them more and more.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, the snow went north, so I did too and headed for Copper instead of Wolf Creek.

Missed the real dump by a day, but there was about 4" of wet, cut up snow and hail on top of big bumps at Copper on MLK day when they went for their maiden voyage. I was all ready to be amazed by the ski but to be honest, i had more fun the day before on my regular skis on a semi-soft surface and same bumps. (I love powder and crud, so this is not because I'm new at this.)

They skied very short. They have less ski in front of the binding than my 160 Fisher Wateas and so it felt strange. The turns they make are tiny; wow. and they skip over the crud not through it, which meant being hammered a little more than I'm used to.

I kept thinking I was going to go head over handlebars with so little ski in front, although I never did and was told it "looked good". They did turn very easily in the bumps and the long(er) tail never got caught up. But I found that to ski them well i had to force myself to ski more forward than felt comfortable because of the head over handlebars feeling.

So, here's my question: Is this something I have to just get used to? I did not feel this way skiing Head Jimis last year or skiing Line Pandoras, both of which are wide, early rise skis. Was it just the conditions and it would have been even more work on something else? Was it me?

Or was it the mounting point? Should I get them re-mounted at -2? Can one move a mounting point that small a distance and will it hurt the integrity of the ski?:noidea:

This is exactly how I feel sometimes ... I was at Copper yesterday, too, and chose to ski my Auras, and was 100% happy. Today, at Copper, in far more snow :D:D:D I skied the S7s, and all morning they were perfect. Later, when some of the snow started chopping up and getting heavy, I got tossed around a bit. They just aren't stiff enough to blast through crud.

The 0 mount does help, but I still feel like a few more cm would help more. You're 5'5" on the 168, I'm 5'9" on the 176, that's about the same difference.

I wouldn't worry about the mount yet; it will help to ski them more and figure out what works and what doesn't. They turn so fast, you really have to be gentle with your turns or you will just whip around like crazy. Sometimes that's a good thing, but other times, it's too much. Especially if you're used to muscling around a longer ski.

But skiing them in Reso today, in 2 ft of untracked snow and big bumps, :drool: they were perfect. In all the new snow I skied, before the sun got to it, they were perfect. In soft packed powder groomers, they are a blast. It's just the in between stuff where I need a little more "there there" -- whether that is stiffness or length, or both, I'm not sure.

Oh, and to answer your other questions, moving them -2cm will not hurt your skis. The rule of thumb is that you can drill your skis three times before things get dicey. But ...as I said, definitely ski them a few more times first. Mine were actually at +3, which is crazy. They are much better in deep snow at 0. Still an issue when straight running or in crud.

ikkin

Certified Ski Diva
Jerez, maybe its the overall length? I'm almost exactly the same size as you (5'3'', 125) and I ski the 176 and LOVE them. Never get the over the bar feeling on 'em, but I do often feel that way on my 163 Auras.

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd tend to agree with the length thing -- I have experienced that over-the-handlebars thing with other skis but not my 188cm S7s; I'm around the same height as Pinto and though I haven't tried the 178s, have never felt the 188s to be too much ski. (Though I am possibly somewhat heavier!) They have ranged from fine to massive fun in all conditions except deep powder ('cause that's a sad rarity in these parts), huge moguls, and trees (there aren't any where I ski).

Jerez

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, we must have all been skiing together! I was skiing mostly Resolution bowl and Aspen lift. (kelly green jacket with brown pants....??)

I am afraid it may be the length, but secretly worried it's me! I appreciate your advice which I'll follow and see if I can get used to them at this mounting before i fool around with them.

Will report back.

Yes, I did experience the "whip around" and guess i tend to get lazy by making larger, faster turns in more gentle terrian like under the Aspen lift. Making millions of turns down there wore me out!

Thank you ladies!

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, we must have all been skiing together! I was skiing mostly Resolution bowl and Aspen lift. (kelly green jacket with brown pants....??)

I am afraid it may be the length, but secretly worried it's me! I appreciate your advice which I'll follow and see if I can get used to them at this mounting before i fool around with them.

Will report back.

Yes, I did experience the "whip around" and guess i tend to get lazy by making larger, faster turns in more gentle terrian like under the Aspen lift. Making millions of turns down there wore me out!

Thank you ladies!

Hmmm, I might have seen you. Are they this year's S110s, I guess? I was in raspberry pink pants and olive green coat, turquoise helmet, Robyn was in teal pants and a black coat, white helmet. We were at R during the morning, and S during the afternoon. TOo bad we didn't know.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, and I would definitely demo a pair of 178s before you redrill your skis, to make sure it is or isn't the length. I should have demo'd a size up, but mine had been drilled twice already, so my resale value was already kinda shot when I drilled the third time. I hemmed and hawed about trying the 188s, but I didn't, because they just seemed so BIG. But in hindsight I should have. Still, it isn't a huge problem. I do like the skis a lot, there are just a few issues.

(I actually have a friend who wants some 168s, I bet she'd buy them from you ... She is your height, but she turns A LOT, so she preferred the shorter size.)

Jerez

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmmm, I might have seen you. Are they this year's S110s, I guess? I was in raspberry pink pants and olive green coat, turquoise helmet, Robyn was in teal pants and a black coat, white helmet. We were at R during the morning, and S during the afternoon. TOo bad we didn't know.

Yes, this year's I think i remember seeing you too, on the Far East trail perhaps?

We had to leave at 1:00 p.m. to make the long drive back to NM. Is Copper your 'home' mountain? if so, I'll post next time.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, this year's I think i remember seeing you too, on the Far East trail perhaps?

We had to leave at 1:00 p.m. to make the long drive back to NM. Is Copper your 'home' mountain? if so, I'll post next time.

Yep, that's home. I ski other places, too, though.

I don't think we were ever on A or Far East that day, though. I think I saw you around the top of R. BUt that is very fuzzy. (I've slept since then.) Yeah, Sierra lift wasn't open until the afternoon, so you would have been gone. TOo bad, as it was skiing GREAT, no one was there, and the wind had died down a little bit (which is why they opened it, of course).

Jerez

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ha. We were posting simultaneously before.

As far as you your 'turny' friend, that might work out well for both of us...

What is the sole length on her boot? If she's interested, we could arrange a rendezvous.

You may be right about trying a longer length first. Problem is finding a demo. The only thing close around here is a Forefront CSJ(?)

Anyhow, thanks for the help.

It figures Sierra opened as we left. seems the big snow came in that night too. Grrr :mad:

lynnore

Diva in Training
Same Dilemma

I too am looking at purchasing the S3 or the Pro BC 110. Problem is that I cannot find the Pro BC in anything other than 159, and while I am tempted, I think I need the 166, or 168. Demoed the S3 in 169, and had a blast. I don't think I would go any longer, but the question is do you think that the 159 would be absolutely too short for a girl who is 5'7? My husband is 6'2 250 and he is on the 178 S7's and they keep him a float beautifully, and frankly I am tired of hearing how 'bleaping' amazing his skis are. Anyone thinking of selling some in the 160's please let me know...

Lynnore

S86 w looks great too!! Any input is welcomed...

ikkin

Certified Ski Diva
Yes, 159 s110w will be WAY too short for you. For the zillionth time, this ski skis SHORT. Go long...longer than you think you should. Again, at 5'3" I was terrified of my 176s. Then i skied them. Now I will never let them go. They are the perfect size.

In fact, if you're a decent skier, you should take your husband's, because he should absolutely be on 188s.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ha. We were posting simultaneously before.

As far as you your 'turny' friend, that might work out well for both of us...

What is the sole length on her boot? If she's interested, we could arrange a rendezvous.

You may be right about trying a longer length first. Problem is finding a demo. The only thing close around here is a Forefront CSJ(?)

Yeah, she lives in PA now, won't be back here until late Feb. But she's already demoed them, in Utah last year, so she knows.

Good luck finding something to try. A nice Christy Sports employee gave me a free demo card, so one of these day trips I'm going to take out something else, either the 188 S7 or a JJ or Bent Chetler....

lynnore

Diva in Training
Thanks

I appreciate your comments, and I realize that the 159's are not ideal, and that they ski short because there is so little ski under foot, but I am having such a hard time finding my length. I am currently on a 152 dynastar exclusive active that is way to short, but we spend a ton of time in the trees, so I am apprehensive to go longer than 170. I am a strong intermediate skier that will go anywhere. A little crude at times lol...

My choice is to either get a 169 S3, or continue to search for 166 or 168 S7/ pro BC110. Anyone know where to find the BC pro 110 of s110 in that length?

Thanks all

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna