• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Input Wanted: Dynastar Exclusive Eden

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd like to try to demo the Eden if I can, but may not be able to find them. From what I've read here and in general reviews, they sound like they could be a good fit for me. I ski groomers, mainly mid-Atlantic East Coast hardpack with ice, crud, mashed potatoes, and slush on warmer afternoons -- which we have a lot of in Va, although shady sections can stay icy.

Looks like there are some good deals on the 2013 Eden (link below).

Questions for divas who have/had had them...
- I don't plan to go off piste much. Do you think they're still a good bet for mostly frontside?
- I've read that they're good on ice. Agree?
- How about crud?
- Mashed potatoes and slush?
- Are they true to length? Or in hindsight would you have sized up? (Btw, I'm a progressing intermediate 5'1". 145 lbs)
- Do you have to ski them fast, or can you ski them moderately?
- I just demoed Rossi Temp 82, K2 SuperGlide and Volkl Charsima...do they feel similar to any of those?
- When comparing them to other skis you've demoed, what do you think they're closest to?
- If they're no longer your primary ski, what ski did you move to next?
- What year and length for your Edens? How many seasons on them?

Any input welcome. TIA!

https://store.christysports.com/cat...-eden-womens?gclid=CObbgt29ibwCFfA7OgodWF4A6w

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
- I don't plan to go off piste much. Do you think they're still a good bet for mostly frontside? Idylls are excellent for frontside. They're a joy on groomed trails.
- I've read that they're good on ice. Agree? Yes, Idylls give me a very secure edge feel on ice.
- How about crud? I'd prefer my Black Pearls that are a bit wider at 88m waist.
- Mashed potatoes and slush? I might prefer the wider ski, but I haven't had a bad moment on the Idylls where I was wishing for that.
- Are they true to length? Or in hindsight would you have sized up? (Btw, I'm a progressing intermediate 5'1". 145 lbs) I'm 5'2" and heavier than you, am a Level 2 (not timid, not aggressive) advanced/intermediate. I think I should have bought the next size up, given my weight and how stable the Idylls are.
- Do you have to ski them fast, or can you ski them moderately? Idylls are happy to do what I want to do, which makes me happy too. But they are way fun to ski fast on, and easy to get up on edge, easier than the wider BPs.
- I just demoed Rossi Temp 82, K2 SuperGlide and Volkl Charsima...do they feel similar to any of those? I don't know those.
- When comparing them to other skis you've demoed, what do you think they're closest to? Don't know--Idylls are same length as my old K2's (Title 9) but are more fun to carve.
- If they're no longer your primary ski, what ski did you move to next? N/A
- What year and length for your Edens? How many seasons on them? Idylls - 2012, 152cm. 2nd season. They came with Look bindings and the rail piece was already mounted on the ski. Just a matter of sliding and securing the toe & heel pieces. Too bad you're so far, we could easily adjust the binding for you to demo mine.

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks a ton, @VickiK -- *very* helpful! I'll see if I can demo both the Idyll and Eden (and yes -- too bad we don't live closer). Glad you like the BPs when you do need something wider, but terrific to hear that you love the Idylls and their overall versatility.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I got Idylls at the beginning of last season and skied them pretty hard. (Never been on the Eden.) I got Idylls in a 146 (last year's version has a little tail rockers) as I usually ski a 146. Bought without demoing as I got a good deal.

I think now that maybe this isn't long enough in this ski and I wonder how the next size up would feel. I'm an advanced, strong skier - but very small (105 lb) who likes to go fast, carve, etc. and decided the Idylls just weren't doing it for me - didn't give the stability I like and I didn't find them great in crud or chopped up snow. In those conditions last season, I kept going back to my old Attraxion VIs.

Anyway, I've now pretty much abandoned the Idylls and am using my Temptation 88s exclusively - in all conditions at the moment as they're all I've got. Mentioned elsewhere I demoed the Temptation 82 yesterday - I think that would be a good one to try. (BTW, the 82s were 152 and my 88s are 154 - a bit taller than little me - and those lengths in these skis feel just fine - wouldn't want any shorter.)

I might be misremembering this, but I seem to recall Jilly demoing the Eden last year and saying they felt much like the 88s. She can correct me if I'm wrong.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I hope I can help. The Exclusive Legend/Exclusive Legend Powder/Idyll/Eden have been “my” skis since 08. The ‘12 Eden is my everyday ride now.

Differences between Idyll & Eden: obviously, the width, 78? (79?) vs. 85. My ‘12's have a turning radius of 15. The ‘13's have 16 - not sure why this difference?? ‘13 was it for both models - gone now.

‘12 Eden has a Titanal(metal) layer. I’m fairly sure this is the case with the ‘13 also. Idylls have no metal. As a dampening layer, it adds stability at speed and reduces chatter.

The Idyll is a fine, nimble, and playful ski (if damper than its predecessor, the Legend), but it has a speed limit, and its smaller turning radius talks back with chatter if not turned when it needs to, based on its construction and sidecut. I quickly learned (with it and others) to get off the edge and make a turn when I felt it starting.

The Eden is a great all-around champion. Yes, it will perform at any chosen speed, unlike many other skis I’ve tried which do not perform unless charging. The metal enhances stability considerably, is far more stable at speed than predecessor Legend Powder. It does add weight to the ski, but the advantages outweigh any disadvantages: those being that once the snow or crud piles up (not a frequent problem in the NNE where I ski, alas), it can get tossed. Part of that for me is riding a 165, which I prefer for edge length (tip rise is minimal, tail is turned up but it’s slight) and only weighing 116 (but I’m 5'6/32" inseam, so have leverage). At my weight, I could have probably gotten by with a 158.

I have demo’d the Temptation 82 and think it fits in closer in performance characteristics to the Idyll than the Eden, but still has more stability than Idyll. Overall, Eden is in same class as Atomic Affinity Storm and Rossi Temptation 88 - similar attributes and capabilities, different feel. Another tried this year in similar class, in terms of feel and function: Nordica Wild Belle (which felt physically lighter and had softer tip).

I would classify the 3 above and the Eden as “giant slayers,” in that they will perform admirably in a wide spectrum of conditions and terrain - although, obviously, there are better specific tools for each condition, such as narrower front-side carvers for the hard pack - or wider for lots of cut-up snow. I personally am not one for switching out skis in the course of a day (although have occasionally done so), so I want and need one that will cover a lot of bases. I feel these 4 do the job admirably. If I were to line them up, all 4, and eeny-meeny-miny-mo, I would happily have any one of the 4. For me, the ultimate decision was based on cost and “the art of the deal.” So I have the ‘12 Eden in a 165, purchased a year ago, and have been very pleased. I used it every day last season from mid-January on except 3 days, one of which was a demo day.

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A bit torn on waist width and trade-offs given types of conditions I ski in, and my level.* Questions noted in original post. Based on what I've heard/read from several divas I'm hoping to demo...

Dynastar Idyll 124/78/106 (152? Not sure if 158 would be too long)
Dynastar Eden 126/85/110 (152; maybe 158)
Nordica Wild Belle 126/84/112 and/or Hells Belles 132/90/118 in 154
Rossi Temptation 88 135/88/124 in 154
Volk Kenja 127/87/106 in 154 (FYI, @Olesya Chornoguz, who skis in similar places to me, is a fan)
Volkl Yumi 125/83/103 in 154

When I demoed the Volkl Charisma and Rossi Temptation 82s I liked them, but they also felt like more "work" to drive through all the crap that afternoon compared to the K2 SuperGlide. Here's the link to my demo report. https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...lide-rossi-temptaion-82-volkl-charisma.17361/

*Currently on Roxy Joyriders in 146 (126/74/105); all camber and definitely want something with tip rocker. They're pretty good on those very rare ideal condition days for EC; good on ice but not as good as the ones I demoed, and definitely not great for crud and slush.

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the reply, @SkiBam. I did like the 82s when I tried them, though they seemed like a bit more "work" than some others. Copying @tinymoose as I think she's a new Temp 88 fan (and may have been on Idylls at one point -- or maybe I'm confused?). Also copying @ski diva as I know she's a recent Hell's Belles fan -- but may have been on Dynastars earlier? (info re. why I was leaning that way is in OP but now want to at least demo HBs if I can in the right size).

My longer demo wish list is a couple posts up. Also worth noting is that I want to be able to cruise when I feel like it and not be forced into fast all the time, especially on steeps. The Joyriders I'm on now have two speeds: super fast and crazy fast, and they're hard for me to rein them in on ice and on steeps.

Here is the link to my demo report thread on the 3 I've tried, including the Rossi 82s. https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...lide-rossi-temptaion-82-volkl-charisma.17361/

Wish I could afford more than a quiver of one at this stage. Really appreciate all the input!

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@MaineSkiLady Your reply was a *huge* help. Thanks! Also added a couple more posts since I saw yours, btw. Longer list now, but all your info is assisting me with demo rankings. Much appreciated.

Jilly

Staff member
Found it!

Dynastar Eden's - These skis were fun too. Like my Temptations 88 (sister company) and the Rockettes, wide skis for east - But if you are in a snow belt area (MSL are you listening.....) these would be a ski. And they didn't mind the ice, but not their forte for sure! If I had to pick between the Rockettes and Eden's - I'd take the Eden's. Short turns and ice they didn't love, but when I found snow.......Almost made me give up my 88's. I think they might be cousins!

va_deb add the Atomic Storm too!

marzNC

Angel Diva
From our discussion at Mnut (sorry I didn't get a chance to ski with you), I'd say stick with the 152-154 length. But if available try one model in a longer length for comparison.

I think Olesya is a stronger skier than you are, both in how ski likes to ski and in body type. Lots of people like Volkl, but they are too stiff for me (5'0", 120 pounds, advanced). I tried the Yumi at the Mnut demo day. Since I'm much stronger and better technically than the last time I gave a Volkl a try, I had no problem skiing it on Paradice and DJ. But definitely had more fun with the Temptations at both shorter and longer lengths.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Good list, I think you're going to find something you love among them. The only ski listed that is somewhat out of the class of the rest, for width and other performance characteristics, is the Idyll - which, if you do try, I would recommend the longer length. '12-13 models do have some rocker, which shortens the edge contact length.

ETA: Not sure why, but I don't have problems with the Eden on ice. Could be the tune? We tend to keep our edges sharp. Especially this year : (

marzNC

Angel Diva
Looked back . . . I took a run or two on the Dynastar Legend Eden, 158cm, at Big Sky in 2012. It was fine in soft snow but I liked the Black Pearls a lot more. Wasn't anything about the Eden that made me thinking changing from the Rossi Attraxion 8 (127-75-108, 154) was worth thinking about.

That day I also tried the Volkl Kenja, 156cm. Did not like it at all. Pretty sure I switched it out after one run. I was doing blue groomers and a glade run on the side of Andesite Mtn closest to the base. Three times as long as any blue/black at Mnut.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No Temptation 88 fan here. Not because I don't like them, but because I've never tried them. :smile: I did try the Temptation 82s at a demo day and they were OK, and I did own the Idylls for about a year. I ended up replacing the Idylls with my Kenjas ( <3 ) for a lot of the reasons SkiBam listed above. She pretty much summed up my feelings on them. I would also agree with MSL that the Temptation 82 felt quite a bit like my Idylls, but with a lot more stability to them. Another ski I've demoed that I felt was similar in feel to the Idylls were the Atomic Affinity Pure. They're nowhere near as burly as the Affinity Storms.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
While I love Kenjas for their versatility and great edge grip on ice, for me they perform best when skiing fast and they like to be driven with good technique. I agree with MarzNC that they are stiff skis and I don't think they are very forgiving. I'm starting to enjoy skiing fast and love Kenjas' stability at speed for my height/weight (a bit over 6ft tall and a bit over 190 lbs :embarrassed:). I also like that they encourage me to ski with good technique, because that's when they are easy to ski. @tinymoose skis Kenjas too and I think she lives/skis in PA, perhaps she might have something to add or have a different prospective.
Have you demoed Black Pearls? I demoed them at Mnut and really liked them. They are very easy and friendly to ski at almost any speed, a bit chattery on hard pack, but it could be that I needed them in 170 cm length, not 166 cm that I was demoing. I have never skied Dynastar Eden, but they sound like they could work well for you, from what others have said.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Heh, I posted ^^^ before I saw what Tinymoose posted. :smile: I demoed Experience 88 (men's version of Temptation) and found them somewhat similar to Kenjas, but I think I like Kenjas better.

Last edited:

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think my Kenja perspective is pretty far from what most people think, so I'm not sure how useful it is. :smile: I personally don't find them all that unforgiving, and while they're more "whee" when I drive them hard (as much as my 95 lb. self can drive them hard) and fast (my fast is still sloooowwww... my max clocked speed is 27 mph), I ski them slow a lot too and don't find them to be much work going slow either. Honestly, I find them to we way less tiring than my Idylls because I'm not fighting getting tossed around in the crud as much. I'm not sure how I would have fared on them as a more mid-range intermediate? Maybe not as well. It's possible I found them at just the right time as I was getting to adv. intermediate?

You could certainly demo the Kenja if you want to. If you hate them, you hate them. No loss. That's the beauty of demos. :smile: I saw you demoed the Charisma and it's listed as an advanced/expert ski, so I don't think the Kenja is going to run away with your or anything (this was literally my fear last year when I demoed them... hah!). Although, I did see that you said that the Charisma felt like more work. The Yumi would probably be easier if you want to try something from the Volkl Freeski line.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think my Kenja perspective is pretty far from what most people think, so I'm not sure how useful it is. :smile: I personally don't find them all that unforgiving, and while they're more "whee" when I drive them hard (as much as my 95 lb. self can drive them hard) and fast (my fast is still sloooowwww... my max clocked speed is 27 mph), I ski them slow a lot too and don't find them to be much work going slow either. Honestly, I find them to we way less tiring than my Idylls because I'm not fighting getting tossed around in the crud as much. I'm not sure how I would have fared on them as a more mid-range intermediate? Maybe not as well. It's possible I found them at just the right time as I was getting to adv. intermediate?

You could certainly demo the Kenja if you want to. If you hate them, you hate them. No loss. That's the beauty of demos. :smile: I saw you demoed the Charisma and it's listed as an advanced/expert ski, so I don't think the Kenja is going to run away with your or anything (this was literally my fear last year when I demoed them... hah!). Although, I did see that you said that the Charisma felt like more work. The Yumi would probably be easier if you want to try something from the Volkl Freeski line.
I agree that it's worth demoing. Ok, now that think about this it's probably the technique of how one skis Kenjas. The times when I find them difficult is in crud and probably not because Kenjas are not good for skiing crud, but because I get scared in crud (or bumps), stiffen up and slow down, often all technique goes out of the window. Also Kenjas are way more stable in crud than my previous skis K2 Superfree, so it's definitely more mental+technique issue, not ski issue. Whereas on smooth hardpack or smooth soft snow I can ski them fast or slow with little effort and they are soo much fun.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I checked out the Volkl Yumi at Mnut's demo day. While I've obviously become stronger since the last time I tried a Volkl model and can handle them, they would not make it onto my wish list if I were actively looking to buy something this spring. Not looking for a ski that requires a little extra work and attention on my part when there are other options.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna