• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Input Wanted: Dynastar Exclusive Eden

Yoga Diva

Certified Ski Diva
Oh I am back at it. How do you ski with a broken shoulder? Very carefully. :banana:My girlfriend has to push me on the catwalks and up to the lift. Otherwise, I can do most things with one arm.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
^^^ :eek: OMG, be careful!!! Shoulders are so ridiculously complex - you don't want to mess up the soft aspect (trust me here....). Bunch of us here have dealt, on and off, with rotator cuff BS, some have had surgery. NOT FUN. Don't go there.

Yoga Diva

Certified Ski Diva
^^^ :eek: OMG, be careful!!! Shoulders are so ridiculously complex - you don't want to mess up the soft aspect (trust me here....). Bunch of us here have dealt, on and off, with rotator cuff BS, some have had surgery. NOT FUN. Don't go there.

Do not worry Maine Ski Lady. I am quite nearly healed. If I have a catastrophic fall, I could break my shoulder, or leg, or neck. I am more careful of nursing my torn bursa back to health so I don't use the arm. You know what they say: there are no guarantees. In love none are necessary. In fear, none are strong enough. I interpret that as ski on.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
*After my next time out I'll write a review, but just wanted to mention here that I love mine. And the bright top sheet is pretty! (Not that any of us care about that...)

I hope I can help. The Exclusive Legend/Exclusive Legend Powder/Idyll/Eden have been “my” skis since 08. The ‘12 Eden is my everyday ride now.

Just saw a new 2013 Eden 165 on eBay; what do you ladies think of these for a 5'8" 115# pound New England teen as a one quiver ski? She is currently on the Rossi Temptation 78 158, but she grew 3.5" this past year and is feeling their length, or rather lack thereof, especially at speed on hardpack. I should have waited until this season to buy...so much for my end of season sale/pass discount deal....that said, I know I won't have a problem selling them. She has always grown at a steady 1" each year and the pedi expected that to continue :frown:

She is a quick and capable skier and goes down groomed blues and blacks at SR carving nicely. Given she is such a fast learner, I want to put her on an all mountain ski she can really grow on.

In the meantime I am going to set-up my Yumi 161 for her (if the BSL adjustment works) so she can get the feel of a wider and longer ski, and also a ski with no tail rocker. If the length in the Yumi is fine, I expect the 165 in the Eden should be fine given it is rockered in both tip and tail?

Due to age restrictions she cannot do a demo weekend, so waiting until next season for that will not help. May pop into the off-mountain shop I really liked too as I would also like her to try the Head Total Joy 163 (tip rocker only/flat tail); will only have her demo there though if they have enough other options. SR has very little demo stock left so demoing there doesn't make too much sense unless they get the new 2015/2016s in soon.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Just saw a new 2013 Eden 165 on eBay; what do you ladies think of these for a 5'8" 115# pound New England teen as a one quiver ski?
It is A Giant Slayer.
No matter what I try or what the conditions - I somehow always go back to these - they are my “gold standard” by which every other ski has to measure.

It is a slight tip and tail rise, no real “rocker.” Length-wise, shouldn’t be discernibly different from Yumi (which I have demo’d, at 161). It will have considerably more liveliness and rebound - and very likely a much higher speed limit (I got officially clocked @ 41 once by race officials checking timers, and the ski was rock-solid).

I have the ‘12 and ‘13, 165. My stats are 5'6, 118. I am not an expert (understatement??). I take it on ice, boilerplate - and I can get a float on it in as little as 4" of snow because of the effective length and my lower weight. The 15 meter turning radius is ideal; the ski will turn way tight, happily.

This might well be my ski For Life? Little has measured up, found a few I've truly enjoyed - but I have my Giant Slayer.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
@Jilly and @MaineSkiLady, if she is skiing the Rossignol Temptation 78 158 and feels it is too short at speed, do you think she would be fine on the 165 or do you think the 158 given it doesn't have the amount of tip/tail rocker I thought? I would love this to be a longer term ski for her so I was inclined to do the 165 since according to the evo.com site (https://www.evo.com/outlet/skis/dynastar-exclusive-legend-eden-womens.aspx) it said it was rocker/camber/rocker.

Arghhh. The age-old length dilemma! I found it at a killer price in both the 158 and the 165 off eBay. Not sure why that didn't originally show up!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Sounds like she is a growing girl - I'd opt for the 165. Difference is 7 cm>not much! If I can ski it (other end of age spectrum!), any advancing skier can. As I said before, I take it everywhere.

ETA: I have been on every higher-end model of the Exclusive series since 2007 model year, have owned many of them. I don't call this a "giant slayer" for no good reason! Also have demo'd dozens of skis in last 7-8 years.

ride_ski

Angel Diva
I also have the Eden in a 165. I'm just over 5'6. I tried MSL's a few years ago at Diva East and really liked them and then bought a pair over the summer. I was on them again last week and reminded myself how much I love them. Hardpack everywhere and they handle great. Wide enough to be good in snow also.

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@lisamamot Sorry I'm chiming in late, but agree with what @ MSL said. Considering your daughter's ability, where you ski, and the fact that she is still growing, sounds like they will be a great longer-term ski. Let us know how what she thinks!

lisamamot

Angel Diva
@lisamamot Sorry I'm chiming in late, but agree with what @ MSL said. Considering your daughter's ability, where you ski, and the fact that she is still growing, sounds like they will be a great longer-term ski. Let us know how what she thinks!

Thanks! I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but probably should order and just return if I change my mind! I will likely hem and haw, and then they will sell out. I am fairly confident in the length, but would love your thoughts on the ski, particularly in comparison to others you have skied. MSL gives me a lot of hope for these as she is skiing the same conditions we are, and is thrilled with them...and has been for some time, so it isn't just a crush :smile: Skis are such an individual thing, but it's nice to get many perspectives.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Other similar skis that I have liked:
Atomic Affinity Storm - a little “burlier”
Nordica Wild Belle (last year’s version, it has changed this year)
Volkl Kenja is likely similar but edges more tenaciously? I haven’t been on it, don’t have a “Volkl budget” so why tempt myself. Did ski the Yumi and found it similar but less responsive/damper.

Early rise tip and tail on Eden is minimal compared to some others, definitely wouldn’t qualify, IMO, as “rockered.” Good edge contact length, at least in 165. Have had many 158 Dynastars that were full camber.

Got my original ‘12's for $200 WITH demo bindings (after a demo of same), were supposedly “used” but arrived without a single sign of use. I subsequently opted to swap out the heavy demo bindings for a lighter binding.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Sounds like the 2013 Eden has some changes vs 2012, which may be good. The slightly more tip rocker will make the 165 likely the perfect length for her:

2013 Dynastar Exclusive Legend Eden
By:
Dynastar
Description:
The Exclusive Legend Eden features the lightweight 3D wood/Rohacell core, powerful vertical sidewalls, and two sheets of vibration-dampening Titanal that strong all-mountain female skiers demand. This season it has significantly more tip rocker giving it smoothness and flow in powder and crud, so you won't have to muscle it into turns. The strong sidecut and traditional camber along 70% of its length gives it precise edge grip and snappy rebound on hard snow. The Exclusive Legend Eden is the ideal ski for adventurous high performance women skiers who pop in and out of the trees, rip on groomers and also enjoy a good powder day. 60% un-groomed / 40% groomed RB: PX 12 Med / NX 11 Med

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@lisamamot I'd pull the trigger on the 165 ASAP before they sell out, for all the reasons you mentioned...some moderate but nice improvements compared to the prior year. I'm not as advanced as your daughter and I got them because I wanted a more versatile ski and wanted to get better.

My BF noticed a difference in my skiing right away, and they've been a real confidence-builder for me. Nice edge hold, much better in ice than my others were, quick to turn, you can drive them fast if you want or cruise if you want. Much better in crud, chop and spring slush than my narrower skis. Sorry I haven't had much to compare them to other than my skinnier carvers. Hope this helps a bit. I'd go for them!

Last edited:

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I also have the Eden in a 165. I'm just over 5'6. I tried MSL's a few years ago at Diva East and really liked them and then bought a pair over the summer. I was on them again last week and reminded myself how much I love them. Hardpack everywhere and they handle great. Wide enough to be good in snow also.

Do you have the snazzy new orange ones (2013)? I know MSL has the earlier model(s). If you do have the newer model, did you feel like they performed similarly to MSL's skis?

ride_ski

Angel Diva
I have the orange ones and Yep, they are very similar. I really couldn't pinpoint any specific differences. I really like the skis. They will be my daily drivers unless we get fresh snow- then I will pull out my brand new Sambas that came Friday

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I have the '11-12 165 (brown pattern) and '12-13 orange tip/tail 165. Because I found all of this information curious, I brought both pairs of skis inside to compare them. They are identical, for amount of tip rise, tail rise, camber under foot.

I'm not sure what information Dynastar is giving people! Yes, there was a BIG change - from '10-11 to 11-12. The only difference between the 2 pairs I now have is graphics (and...amount of top sheet dings?).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga