• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

K2 SuperGlide, Rossi Temptaion 82, Volkl Charisma

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Demoed at Massanutten in Central Va. via Freestyle Outdoors of Charlottesville (note: Freestyle also be at Wintergreen MLK Day weekend with an even bigger selection of skis)

Conditions: Typical East Coast less than stellar – granular hard park base with extremely icy patches, slush, mashed potatoes, some crud, more slush, ice, slush…

About me: Conservative slow-going intermediate, 5’1”, 144

Setting: First day on the slopes this season after a very short season last year. Selected run adjacent to demo tent since I only had a short time to demo before they closed – the run was an extra-long green with a few tricky, pitchy parts; very messy on a warm afternoon following a day of mostly rain and pretty crowded at times.

1=Poor 2= Fair 3=Average 4=Very Good 5=Excellent

K2 SuperGlide
Specs: All Mountain, 146 long; 127/80/109; 13mm turn radius

Short Turns 5

Medium Turns 5

Long Turns 4

Rebound 3

Stability 4

Forgiveness 3.5

Grip 3.5

Steeps - Ltd

Crud 4

Powder - HA! I wish...

Slush 4

Ice 3.5

Tested Length Felt: About right

Overall: Turned on a dime; very nimble (great at helping me avoid wipeouts nearby, from clumps of snowboarders to beginners who were having a devil of a time in rental skis on a nasty day for learning). Felt very stable at speed; a little squirrely in ickier crud and slush, but was a dream in the more moderate stuff. Didn’t hold an edge on ice as well as my current skis. Liked the feel very much; would have enjoyed testing it in better conditions.

Rossi Temptation 82
Specs: All Mountain, 151 long; 131/82/119; 14mm turn radius

Short Turns 4

Medium Turns 5

Long Turns 5

Rebound 4

Stability 4

Forgiveness 4

Grip 4

Crud 4

Slush 4

Ice 4

Overall: Felt very comfortable on it. Wider ski overall did great in the crappy conditions and pretty well on the ice, too. Felt very stable at speed. Felt a bit heaver and it took more effort to ski than the SuperGlides.

Volkl Charisma

Specs: All Mountain, 149 long; 127/79/100; 13.6 mm turn radius

Short Turns 4

Medium Turns 5

Long Turns 4

Rebound 4

Stability 4

Forgiveness 4

Grip 4

Crud 4

Slush 5

Ice 4.5

Overall: I kind of hoped not to like this one since it’s the most expensive, but I did like it. Very turny, and a major slush-buster. Edges did well on the ice. It also was a little heavierto ski than the SuperGlide, but good for the conditions.

Last but not least, I did the SuperGlide in 153 to compare to the 146 since K2s measure out a bit differently and I’ve heard you can generally go longer on them. The longer length felt comfortable.

FWIW, currently ski a Roxy Joyrider 146 long; 126/74/105 10mm turn radius; all camber.

Conclusion: No clear winner, but the extra tip rocker really helped given the conditions. Overall it gave me a good feel for the value of demoing and I hope to be able to do more demos at another mountain with a greater variety of terrain. Some of the others I wanted to try weren’t available in my length at the right time, so the jury is still out, but good to start getting a feel for what's available.

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Your stats (height/weight) are similar to mine, and I would suggest going with a ski that's 150cm+. Those 146s sound a bit short for you.

If you fall in love with a more expensive ski, you can usually find a deal on a demo or end of season sale. Don't let that be the factor that stops you from buying the ski you love.

Jilly

Staff member
With rocker and the Rossi has both tip and tail, you can go up to 10cm longer. Because again in the case of the Rossi, you have 30% rocker, so sort of like losing 30% of the ski. Not quite, but some.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I checked out the Temptation 82 and 88 in both lengths available, low 150's or around 160. For me as an advanced but not aggressive skier, either length could work, 5'0", 120 pounds. Would probably get the 152 in the Temptation 82 and the 162 for the Temptation 88. More because of where I would use each one. The Temptation 82 would be a replacement for my Attraction 8 (127-75-108). I've reach the point where those aren't going to go out west with me any more. Really liked the Temptation 88, but I'll ski my Black Pearls for a few years before looking to replace them.

I also tried the Volkl Yumi and Nordica Wild Belle. Neither will make my wish list. Worked fine but I like the Rossi Temptations a lot better. I always try a Volkl just to confirm that Volkl is not my type. I'm stronger now physically and with technique but still find the Yumi more work than fun.

Jilly

Staff member
The 82's would not be a replacement for the Attraxion's. The Unique is the replacement. I'm looking at the Pursuits to replace my Attraxions. Let you know more after Saturday.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The 82's would not be a replacement for the Attraxion's. The Unique is the replacement. I'm looking at the Pursuits to replace my Attraxions. Let you know more after Saturday.
Good to know. Be interested to hear what you think.

B

B.E.G.

I checked out the Temptation 82 and 88 in both lengths available, low 150's or around 160. For me as an advanced but not aggressive skier, either length could work, 5'0", 120 pounds. Would probably get the 152 in the Temptation 82 and the 162 for the Temptation 88. More because of where I would use each one. The Temptation 82 would be a replacement for my Attraction 8 (127-75-108). I've reach the point where those aren't going to go out west with me any more. Really liked the Temptation 88, but I'll ski my Black Pearls for a few years before looking to replace them.

I also tried the Volkl Yumi and Nordica Wild Belle. Neither will make my wish list. Worked fine but I like the Rossi Temptations a lot better. I always try a Volkl just to confirm that Volkl is not my type. I'm stronger now physically and with technique but still find the Yumi more work than fun.

So interesting MarzNC! I have the 82s and had them out this last weekend, but I preferred the Yumis from a few weekends ago (even if they were a little long). The 82s are comfortable, but they've been feeling kind of boring to me - the Yumis were a lot more fun :P

marzNC

Angel Diva
So interesting MarzNC! I have the 82s and had them out this last weekend, but I preferred the Yumis from a few weekends ago (even if they were a little long). The 82s are comfortable, but they've been feeling kind of boring to me - the Yumis were a lot more fun :P
Yeah, it's pretty interesting how different skis appeal to different people who are the same size in obvious ways. I find that I learn as much from demo'ing skis I don't expect to like as I do from checking out models from brands that I already know I like. Especially since my technique continues to improve.

My first demo day was in 2007 when I was still an intermediate. I was surprised how much difference I could tell between skis, even on the short runs at Sugar in NC.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, it's pretty interesting how different skis appeal to different people who are the same size in obvious ways. I find that I learn as much from demo'ing skis I don't expect to like as I do from checking out models from brands that I already know I like. Especially since my technique continues to improve.

Well, I can agree with you that I did not care for the Wild Belle, so we have that in common. :smile: But like B.E.G. I do love my Volkl skis. Although, I don't dislike Rossi. I liked the 82's I demoed last year, just didn't love them.

B

B.E.G.

I wish my boot issue hadn't happened and I'd been able to spend more than one painful run on the Wild Belle! I'm so intrigued by the Hells Belle...would love to demo that too.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga