• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Hello, My Name is Amy and I fractured my tibial plateau today!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OK, SO saw the surgeon today and woohoo! Fracture is mild and non-surgical! BUT we still need an MRI to rule out ACL/meniscus injury however, drawer rests on ACL are negative which is a very positive indicator!

As of now, 6 weeks non-weight-bearing (and no driving!) I can't wait to start PT to get the healing started and help ward off as much muscle atrophy as possible. The good news is I'll have all of the "shoulder season" to gain strength to get ready for the bike. And the horse! I am hopeful the horse will really help move things along.

On another note, he noted I DO have arthritis on that surface of the joint. Why am I not surprised. I've had pain there for years!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No surgery = good news! Rut remember to follow drs orders for the sake of both knees. :thumb:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks, ladies! I'll have lots of time to research what kind of knee braces I might want to ski with in the future.

I'm still going to go absolutely bonkers being locked up in this house. I've already put out a plea to neighbors and friends to pick me up and haul me into town if and when they go.

mustski

Angel Diva
Thanks, ladies! I'll have lots of time to research what kind of knee braces I might want to ski with in the future.

I'm still going to go absolutely bonkers being locked up in this house. I've already put out a plea to neighbors and friends to pick me up and haul me into town if and when they go.

Awesome news! As for braces, look into the Donjoy brace. DH has one and it's fantastic. His prevents injury to ACL, MCL, and the lateral collateral (?) - I may have the last one wrong. It's very comfortable, provides excellent support, allows full range of motion, and he has not had even a twinge since he has been using it. They have a website. Quite of few of the Bears recommend the Donjoy also.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Soooo glad to hear that it's not as bad as it might have been..... My Women On Wednesday Level III instructor was the other extreme from a mountain biking accident the beginning of last season; They told her she might never ski again, but she never believed them. She followed all instructions to a "T", but after the inital healing after surgery, she was hiking on the crutches!!! Her healing was always ahead of expectations and she road biked with the church youth group last summer from NC to Wisconsin!!! She's back instructing our women's group this season and doing great.
But, as many have said, vent on us; We will happily take it and sympathized where indicated. Divas excel in support!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Awesome news! As for braces, look into the Donjoy brace. DH has one and it's fantastic. His prevents injury to ACL, MCL, and the lateral collateral (?) - I may have the last one wrong. It's very comfortable, provides excellent support, allows full range of motion, and he has not had even a twinge since he has been using it. They have a website. Quite of few of the Bears recommend the Donjoy also.
Surgeon gave me one yesterday :thumbsup:

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
@contesstant, so glad the news is (relatively) good. Try to take it easy and rest a lot these first weeks.

DH has been researching braces also, and Donjoy seems pretty popular.

Does anyone know what type of brace Lindsay Vonn is using?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OK, so I am SO over taking it easy. I can't do ANYTHING! Even getting the mail is a chore--I just needed to be outside so I get out there and tuck the mail in my shirt, and it starts falling out the bottom, then the damn cat got out because I couldn't close the door (thankfully he never just bolts off.) So I'm trying to herd the cat back to the house with a crutch, and navigate my front steps at the same time. And the mail keeps falling out. And it's funny and I'm laughing, but I am completely useless and it's making me insane.

And I really miss my horse :frown: He's being cared for, but nobody takes care of him like me and frankly, he's a highlight of my day every day.

Oh, AND it's snowing and is supposed to snow for several days off and on. :injured:This is me in my house right now.

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry to hear about your injury, hope you heal quickly. Glad to hear it's not the worst case scenario though I'm sure that's scant comfort at the moment!

jellyflake

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
"Verdammt" to the injury (German swearwords are okay here, I hope :tongue:) and good to hear that things are already taken care of and the diagnosis is bad enough but not too bad. I cross fingers ACL and all other stuff are not damaged!!!

I send over very best wishes for speedy and full recovery from Europe. Be better soon!! :goodluck:

Re the mail and other things you might want to carry around: get a backpack or put a back around your neck. And be careful with crutches and snow or ice. You don't need a broken arm now...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga