• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Hello, My Name is Amy and I fractured my tibial plateau today!

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
@contesstant, the tale of my quest for the perfect surgeon is pretty amazing, in a bad way.

By the time I met my surgeon for pre-op, I walked in with no brace and no walker. I wanted to convince him that I did not need surgery. He really gave me a hard time!

It was healing, but not straight. I had displacement that required surgery. That's why I said to get it done as soon as possible if you need it.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am so sorry that this happened to you just as your dream came true. I am also sorry that i didn't make over last night...some GI issues. Itwa great skiing with you for a couple of days. Like MSL said, feel free to vent and whine here. We got your back.
I heard you were feeling kinda blah! Sorry to hear that. Hope your travels home were uneventful!

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That completely sucks. There's a cat-track on my home mountain that is always cut-up as heck, and I've caught an edge there more than once - and now I'm super duper careful any time I ski through that zone because I'm terrified of catching an edge and blowing out my knee or breaking something. This is just the WORST, and doing it in late January, too...no suggestions, just some mad sympathy for you here. Oh, wait, one suggestion, one I discovered when I had a nasty ankle sprain years ago. It was MUCH easier to sleep once I got a body pillow. I would rest my bum leg and that knee-high boot on top of the pillow and lie on my side, and it was just a heck of a lot easier to manage than when I was trying to sleep without. I believe that also counts as "elevating" it. Oh yeah, I have another piece of advice. If you wind up in one of those rocker-soled boots once you're putting weight on it, use a cane when you walk. Those rocker sole boots cause your bum leg to be quite a bit longer than the "good" one, and walking on those things without assistance can really do a number on your hips and lower back. Using a cane helps a ton with that.

Just remember, if it's possible to work on an equestrian technique at the trot or canter, it's also possible to work on it at the walk. Be interesting to hear what your horse thinks of your crutches and stuff. Huey got stung by a bee in August, right as I was mounting, and bucked, and I went flying. They thought I'd fractured my back or my pelvis, but I had major good luck and just did a lot of nasty soft-tissue damage. Next time I saw Huey, he was absolutely fascinated by my crutches. He had to sniff every single square millimeter of them - each one, in turn - and then he gave me a look like "how did you get two extra legs???"

Jenny

Angel Diva
I read on Epic about something you can buy to put on your non casted leg to make the shoe equals heighth with the other leg so as to avoid the hip issues from walking funny.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I already have a body pillow and also have to put one under my knee anyway so I did OK last night, thankfully!! I will find out Monday if I'll be in a walking boot or what. And knowing my horse, he'll be scared of the crutches at first ;)

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I already have a body pillow and also have to put one under my knee anyway so I did OK last night, thankfully!! I will find out Monday if I'll be in a walking boot or what. And knowing my horse, he'll be scared of the crutches at first ;)

We're having some seriously cold weather here right now. Ski buddy of mine has a horse that 1) is old, 2) doesn't like wearing a blanket, and 3) doesn't like staying indoors. She usually just leaves his stall door open so he can wander in and out as he pleases, but she wasn't happy about the amount of cold - and very cold wind - that was getting into his stall.

So, she tells me, she wants to install something that will block the wind, but that he can move through...so she finds some of those big flat plastic strips like they have in the car wash, you know? The ones that hang down to block the entrance where the car moves through. And she put those on his stall doorway.

She says "You know what?" I said "I bet I DO know what. You might just as well have papered his stall with plastic bags as hang those things there." I was laughing so hard I just about fell off the bar stool. Dead right, too. She had to take them down before he'd go outside again. Showed me a picture of the look he gave her at the time. Talk about a stink eye. Limburger cheese eye, maybe, it was that stinky.

Now you have something to laugh about.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
All I've got is a nooooooooo!!!! Sorry to see this. :( Please keep us posted...

canski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh no! So sorry to hear - I know that's a tough injury - hope it is not too bad - I do know folks who have come back from it - good luck and get the best care possible!

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And knowing my horse, he'll be scared of the crutches at first ;)

I am so glad you are feeling a little better today.

And I think the first time you go to the barn with your crutches, you should make sure someone is filming his encounter with them. It will give you something to laugh about for days!

And seriously, if you would like me to send along some magazines for Sierra to play with and cut up, I have plenty to donate. I remember doing that as a kid and loving it. And of course, when I am back in late February I am happy to help out.

mustski

Angel Diva
@contesstant I left you a phone message ... but, in case you didn't get it... there is a gift certificate at Carlos and Harley's. It's in my name in the "tip safe." Send Matt for dinner one night.
I have never quoted myself before! It's from all of us. I made it sound like it was all me!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got the message--thank you so much! I have been sleeping a lot today. I have a decent amount of swelling in the knee (in weird places) and what sucks too is that the other knee also suffered some sort of trauma! I think my body is working very hard to heal right now. I'm so tired! I'm also really anxious to see the surgeon on Monday and receive GOOD news!

Mary, Matt went to the library today and got lots of books for Sierra so she'll stay busy :D

mustski

Angel Diva
I heard that Sierra was being an excellent little helper the other night. Let her help you. She is old enough for tons of help and it will build her self esteem enormously! Aaagh. I feel so helpless. I want to fix it. This is when it would be good to be God. I could say, "you are healed; get up and ski." Of course, I would spend most of my time "smiting" people who piss me off - especially on the slopes. Hence, the reason I am not God!

Jenny

Angel Diva
I heard that Sierra was being an excellent little helper the other night. Let her help you. She is old enough for tons of help and it will build her self esteem enormously! Aaagh. I feel so helpless. I want to fix it. This is when it would be good to be God. I could say, "you are healed; get up and ski." Of course, I would spend most of my time "smiting" people who piss me off - especially on the slopes. Hence, the reason I am not God!
OMG, smiting people would be too much fun!

I've often said it's a good thing I'm not some sort of biologist or computer hacker, because I can totally understand the allure of seeing if I could do something, just because. Not to cause harm, but just to see if it could.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So sorry to hear about your injury!!

Seriously, let others help you out. You'll think they resent it, but rest assured, they totally don't.

Many of us have been where you are, and you'll find lots of support here for you, both on the good days and the bad. The Divas totally helped keep my sanity when I cracked my pelvis.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Flats and cat tracks...agree that's where shite happens when you least expect it. Feel for you and am so bummed for you... Hang in there, and keep us posted...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga