• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Hello, My Name is Amy and I fractured my tibial plateau today!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've always called thick tracked out slush knee injury snow and today it proved to be true! And of course, just entering a cat track where I caught an edge just as I was flattening out.

Kicking myself for not skiing my long, stable Sambas today as I don't think it would have happened. I was actually heading back to the base to get them.

Cue the violins, and also any advice!

Nic Nic

Certified Ski Diva
Oh huge bummer! Don't beat yourself up though...no way to know that this would happen! Rest up, and speedy healing!

Christy

Angel Diva
Noooooo................no. no. no.

This is terrible. I am sorry.

And I hate to hear how, because I have an irrational (wait, maybe it's rational) fear of cat tracks. I have caught an edge on a cat track and gone done (also been taken out by a snowboarder on one) and for some reason I am always afraid this will happen again.

My sister in law fractured her tibial plateau while she was with us in Whistler for the Olympics. She had a particularly bad fracture. If you don't find anyone that has gone through this I can hook you two up, but I bet you will get some good advice here.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, that's awful! So what's the prognosis? How long will you be sidelined?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't know the prognosis yet other than this injury tends to sideline people for a LONG time. As in, I'll be lucky to ski next year. I meet with the ortho surgeon on Monday and am hoping for good news. I would have been better off shredding my ACL, though.

What really sucks is I also tweaked my left knee in almost the same place. So I can't bear weight on my right at all (for at LEAST 8 weeks) and it hurts to use my left leg. I'm having muscle spasms in both legs! We finally move to Utah and I biked all summer and have skied all winter, and now this...and I have a horse to take care of, and a 7YO daughter. This SUCKS!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Oh no!! :frown:
SO sorry to read this, @contesstant!

You’ve consistently been one of this forum’s sunniest, brightest members. Time for the rest of us to offer
:grouphug:

If it suits you, rant away and use us as an outlet. Many have, in the past, shared their recovery stories (thinking here of @volklgirl and pelvic fracture, much down time), or those of family members.

We’ll be here to listen, offer cheer and encouragement.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks, ladies. :redface: The pain is much less today, which is great because it was bad last night. And narcotics and I do not get along so I really can't take any more of them.

The hardest part is going to be having to rely on others for almost everything. It might be good for me. I am ridiculously independent and self-sufficient but I have a feeling some friendships will deepen because of this injury. There's a silver lining to everything!

Crossing fingers I can at least be back on my horse in 8-12 weeks. It's low-impact and great exercise without pressuring the joints.

Christy

Angel Diva
The hardest part is going to be having to rely on others for almost everything. It might be good for me. I am ridiculously independent and self-sufficient but I have a feeling some friendships will deepen because of this injury.

It's also sometimes easier for people to do things for you then to have you try to do them yourself. When we were with my SIL at Whistler (she also didn't take any narcotics; she doesn't like feeling not sharp) it was maddening to see her try to nudge her water glass closer to her with her crutch, or to see her try to get up and make herself a sandwich. It was so much easier for us when she just asked us to bring her some water or make her a sandwich. Though I know you are also talking about bigger things like horse care.

I rather enjoyed being waited on after my hysterectomy. I still think it's funny my husband had to even put my socks on for me.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's also sometimes easier for people to do things for you then to have you try to do them yourself. When we were with my SIL at Whistler (she also didn't take any narcotics; she doesn't like feeling not sharp) it was maddening to see her try to nudge her water glass closer to her with her crutch, or to see her try to get up and make herself a sandwich. It was so much easier for us when she just asked us to bring her some water or make her a sandwich. Though I know you are also talking about bigger things like horse care.

I rather enjoyed being waited on after my hysterectomy. I still think it's funny my husband had to even put my socks on for me.

Yeah, I'm your sister...I'd rather try to do it myself than inconvenience someone else! The narcotics were great for sleep but made me hurl this morning. They've always done that to me!

You should see me try to go potty with this soft cast on. :rotf: And I'm going to attempt to shower today, but at least we have a shower chair from a visit from my father-in-law several years ago so at least I can sit!

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Let's talk soon.

I fractured mine on the last run as we were on our way to the car, to catch a plane in Denver. DH put me on a luggage cart to get me to the condo, as I was about as mobile as a big suitcase without wheels. The trip to the airport and the flight home were hideous.

It took me 3 weeks to find a decent surgeon and to be properly diagnosed. Sounds like you have that covered.

You've taken care of your family for years. Now it's their turn. Even Sierra can help you get stuff around the house.

Sending hugs and hoping you get relatively good news on Monday.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Let's talk soon.

I fractured mine on the last run as we were on our way to the car, to catch a plane in Denver. DH put me on a luggage cart to get me to the condo, as I was about as mobile as a big suitcase without wheels. The trip to the airport and the flight home were hideous.

It took me 3 weeks to find a decent surgeon and to be properly diagnosed. Sounds like you have that covered.

You've taken care of your family for years. Now it's their turn. Even Sierra can help you get stuff around the house.

Sending hugs and hoping you get relatively good news on Monday.

I will be calling you for sure--we need to catch up anyway! Matt and Sierra have been great. Matt has to hoist me over the ledge into the shower which is a bit comical!

Today I am working on getting my horse care covered.

I can't believe you took 3 weeks to get properly diagnosed! Did you bear weight during that time? Eek! I am lucky that Snowbasin has their own clinic with an ortho surgeon ON STAFF! We paid out-of-pocket for their services but it was worth it. I should be able to get reimbursed, too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna