• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Getting In Shape for 2016/17

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I note they didn't include skiing ;-)

I wonder what they count as an injury. Lies, damn lies, and statistics!

https://ojs.sagepub.com/content/2/4/2325967114531177.full

I'm sure you could look up skiing, I think it's not on there because most people inherently believe skiing to be of higher risk and the chart is intending to temper the OMG crossfit you're gonna get hurt mentality by comparing it to other activities that people do that aren't percieved as high risk activities. In reality you are probably better off doing CF than running for instance. Repetitive use injuries in running are off the charts many of which lead to chronic debilitating injuries like arthritis and worn cartlidge etc that can't be repaired. There just isn't as much propaganda in running, I would bet for every person that has been injured and had to quit CF there are at least 20 runners who can't run anymore due to these slower progressing injuries that become chronic over time.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Interestingly enough, my PCP was very pro-gymnastics and anti-running when I mentioned what I was doing for workouts. He said if I was going to run, then at least not more than 5K.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Interestingly enough, my PCP was very pro-gymnastics and anti-running when I mentioned what I was doing for workouts. He said if I was going to run, then at least not more than 5K.
FWIW, I have been a full competive gymnast, runner, and recreational CFer. In terms of injuries - running caused me the most injuries and pain multiple sprained ankles, jumpers knee, worn out knee cartiledge, IT band syndrome, horrible foot problems and I have persistent bursitis in my hips for life, I had alot of bruises and road rashes from falling on the beam in gymnastics and callouses but no injuries and I sprained my ankle doing 1 legged hops in a CF warm up. In fact the only injury I have witnessed in class to date.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
FWIW, I have been a full competive gymnast, runner, and recreational CFer. In terms of injuries - running caused me the most injuries and pain multiple sprained ankles, jumpers knee, worn out knee cartiledge, IT band syndrome, horrible foot problems and I have persistent bursitis in my hips for life, I had alot of bruises and road rashes from falling on the beam in gymnastics and callouses but no injuries and I sprained my ankle doing 1 legged hops in a CF warm up. In fact the only injury I have witnessed in class to date.

I didn't know you had done gymnastics too!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Remember the bone density comparison for Olympic athletes? Gymnastics was much better for both upper and lower body than running. Not only does running do nothing for the upper body, it's slightly less effective for bone building for legs and hips. Jumping and landing promotes bone growth more.

https://depts.washington.edu/bonebio/bonStrength/exercise/sports.html

santacruz skier

Angel Diva

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OK. I'm back and I survived as I type with my jello arms and shaky hands. What I learned is that my core is in good shape (was really pleased with this), my push-up form has apparently always been not good (I flare my elbows out and put my arms too far apart), and my arm strength is horrendous.

Did an introductory baseline workout timed (5oom row, 40 squats, 30 sit-ups, 20 push-ups, and 10 pull-ups). I completed it in 7:20 (sorta not really). The row was fine, squats were fine, breezed through the sit-ups fine... was still feeling pretty good after all that. My push-ups I completed on an incline and couldn't go all the way down with proper form (stupid flaring elbows). Only did 2 or 3 of the pull-ups (assisted with a band) before I had to quit and go outside for some air b/c I felt like I was gonna be sick. I probably pushed myself too hard and too fast for my current fitness level. So he recorded it at 7:20 for a baseline, although I really didn't finish.

He was very nice about it though, and he didn't push me me to keep going. Said that was my body's way of telling me we were done. lol Very nice guy. Going to go back for the fundamental classes in learning how to lift. It really doesn't seem like an overly competitive place at all. All different fitness levels there from what I could see.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In a fun random aside, I had told him I was a former gymnast, but he said he could have told from my pull-ups alone b/c I apparently hollow body when I try to pull-up, which is apparently only something he sees in former gymnasts.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
He was very nice about it though, and he didn't push me me to keep going. Said that was my body's way of telling me we were done. lol Very nice guy. Going to go back for the fundamental classes in learning how to lift. It really doesn't seem like an overly competitive place at all. All different fitness levels there from what I could see.
Awesome! I'm so glad you tried it! The overall environment is not competitive, individuals can choose to be competitive but coaches don't push you past what you can't do and going at your own pace is part of the beauty of it. The success of it really lies in the fact that a person can walk in with any level of fitness in any body and feel accepted and succeed. As women who are active we don't always recognize how mentally difficult it is for those who aren't to even walk through the doors of a gym. It's really really common for these women to drive to a gym to join and actually sit in their cars in the parking lot and cry and go home. And even after they come up with the strength to walk in and join, it's very difficult for them each time they go to the gym because they are so self conscience and there are mirrors everywhere. It's also much harder for them to hire a trainer, they don't want people looking at them and to have someone watching over them is uncomfortable. For whatever reason the environment at CF is so different that anyone can walk in and feel good about themselves and it can be life changing for people. It's so difficult to even put a finger on what is so different that it does create controversy - they take alot of business away from gyms and trainers so the bad form and injuries etc are constantly top of mind for many people, it is threatening to others in the business you can't blame them for trying to keep a leg up because it just can't be re-created. The bad form is largely a misnomer and sure some people get hurt, because they can't or don't check their egos at the door not necessarily because of the program itself. To me anything that gets people comfortable in their skin and motivates them to be active and improve themselves is worthy of spouting out about the positives and CF definatley has this effect on alot of people so there, that is my rant.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I do jump board workouts at pilates. It is much harder than it looks and since you are lying down, I don't think it is as much pounding on the knees.

Jumpboard is a great idea! It does give the legs a workout and the entire torso, as you have to work to keep your body aligned, keep your feet/legs from dropping to the springs, etc. etc. etc. So sayeth the Pilates instructor and NSCA Personal Trainer.

With age (HTH did THAT happen!), my knees are less impressed with a lot of the work I used to do, like box jumps or jumping onto dyna discs on a box and then jumping down! I find I'm doing more balance work, too.

That said, I'm sitting here typing with ankle weights on so as I get up and wander about the house, I'm starting to re-acclimate to the weight of the boots and skis to come.

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmm... the chart is interesting. How many people actually play football recreationally? I mean in terms of comparing it to these other sports. It just seems a strange mix of things to include. Why not do an apples to apples comparision, by using various fitness programs instead of random sports that may or may not be strictly recreational (do the stats include collegiate play? high school? flag football?)? It just doesn't really mean much to me in terms of providing legit statistics. I mean gymnastics and other Olympic sports in the same box as these other things? Is Crossfit considered a sport? Or a fitness regime? Bogus survey/analysis if you ask me.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That is a good one! I did those glute activation lunges with banded walks yesterday - my glutes have not hurt so bad in a long time.

Monster walks with the band! I'm pre-habbing someone about to go for a hip replacement and those are on the list. I should do more of those myself!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If it is any consolation, I was chatting with a former instructor (YEARS of it) and mentioned some things I was doing. He said, yeah, great, but stay generally in shape and just get out and SKI! Does help with any obsessing about not being 'ready enough'!

Think snow! (and I'm going to my Pilates studio now to play with the jumpboard on the reformer!)

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If it is any consolation, I was chatting with a former instructor (YEARS of it) and mentioned some things I was doing. He said, yeah, great, but stay generally in shape and just get out and SKI! Does help with any obsessing about not being 'ready enough'!

When I start out the season on the WROD and continue skiing as terrain opens, I think just skiing is fine.

If you have to squeeze your ski time into a week or two of vacation and like to hit the slopes hard, I think training is going to make the experience a lot better.

I don't stress about getting into shape for ski season. I do my pilates mat and yoga all year long and 'just ski' when the time comes. I take it very easy easy the first day out because I haven't skied in 7 months but generally speaking I found that getting my core in great shape helped a lot so first day out I just show up, ski and all is fine.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I don't want to deal with back issues again so for the last two months have been going to an elite master trainer at a Core Fitness & Rehab facility. It's awesome and now we're working on specific exercises to strengthen core and quads/glutes.
I've never been one to work with weights (should have as benefits bone density) and now getting personalized instruction . It's really great and feel good about this.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've never been one to work with weights (should have as benefits bone density) and now getting personalized instruction . It's really great and feel good about this.

Once you get past the uncertainty and awkwardness of learning the correct form - for me, anyway - lifting is just such a great feeling. Even if I walk into the gym exhausted, I come out feeling energized.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Learning correct form is primarily the reason I am doing this. I have always been a runner, rode mtn bikes, kayak, in line skates, avid hiker (love steeps) but really no weight training. I don't love gyms and with mild weather (and some cold/rain) in Santa Cruz, I can do all my workouts outdoors. However the weight training is something I haven't been doing And I need this badly. So glad I'm doing it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna