• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Getting In Shape for 2016/17

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm going to put it here, in the hopes that I actually follow through on it this week... but I'm gonna try Crossfit. :eek: I'd like something to supplement my gymnastics. I just don't have the strength I had as a kid (probably b/c I was young and also in the gym so much of the week since I was on a competitive team) and need to do something more. I am a bit terrified of the weights that go along with Crossfit as nearly all of my strength training in gymnastics has always been done using your own body weight. I'm worried that the weights, medicine balls, etc. are going to be too heavy for me b/c I'm so tiny, but we'll see! I guess this is less about ski fitness and more about just overall fitness for me. I've found the last 2 seasons that I haven't really felt the need to "be in shape" for ski season, nor do I get the quad burn I used to get out of multiple days of skiing. So yay for improved technique, I guess?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Let us know how you do @tinymoose . I started working with a trainer about 2 months ago mostly trying to develop some core strength as well as getting in shape for ski season. We started with really low weights and I'm a bit of a weakling but getting stronger!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My stint at a true CrossFit box lasted a few weeks. Instead, I found a couple CrossFit "Lite" places that offered intense strength-building workouts that were just more fun. I recommend taking a slow approach whereever you go, to avoid strains, sprains, etc. Oh, and be sure your footwear is supportive.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm hopeful I'm not going to get wrecked because I have some baseline of fitness??? They also seem pretty big on evaluating your strengths/weaknesses/movement patterns and helping you modify the workouts as needed (based on what they say on their website/facebook page) and building up gradually. I know it's going to be worse than my worse day of gymnastics conditioning, though. Basically, I want to look and feel (strength-wise) like I did as a kid. Although, I may be singing a different tune when I'm back to jeans and shirts not fitting b/c my thighs and upper arms are too big. I HATED that part of it as a teen.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm hopeful I'm not going to get wrecked because I have some baseline of fitness??? They also seem pretty big on evaluating your strengths/weaknesses/movement patterns and helping you modify the workouts as needed (based on what they say on their website/facebook page) and building up gradually. I know it's going to be worse than my worse day of gymnastics conditioning, though. Basically, I want to look and feel (strength-wise) like I did as a kid. Although, I may be singing a different tune when I'm back to jeans and shirts not fitting b/c my thighs and upper arms are too big. I HATED that part of it as a teen.

The focus on evaluation sounds good. Be ... careful. Crossfit is a big world, and there are all levels of experience teaching it. I would be particularly aware of student / instructor ratio. Deadlifts and snatches, for example, are great if done with perfect form. Damaging if not. If they're trying to push you to do as many as possible in a period of time, I would be suspicious. My trainer told me that there's a particular injury that was once rare, but now common due to Crossfit. I can't remember what it is. He's also the one who told me some Crossfit gyms are great. Just depends.

BUT that doesn't mean there aren't good gyms out there operating under the Crossfit umbrella. I would say the same thing if you were working with a personal trainer - just pay attention and only give your trust if it's earned.

altagirl

Staff member
Yeah, I have 2 friends who have done well with crossfit, but have other friends who have been injured doing it. My physical therapist actually tried it recently and for a few weeks was really excited and raving about it. Then she nearly dropped a loaded bar on her head after pushing way too hard on an exercise and quit because she can't afford to be injured. And the competitive environment was pushing her to do stupid things. I am guessing to have it be a good fit, it's a combination of finding a place with really good, highly trained staff and not being the type to overdo things.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maybe my laziness at conditioning will pay off and keep me from overdoing it! lol As a gymnast, I spent an enormous amount of time mastering the headstand for our headstand contests (pivoting on head, clapping, etc.); if you won, you got out of some conditioning. If only I had applied myself so diligently to the conditioning.

I'll keep you all posted on how it goes! Intro class is Wed. night.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm going to put it here, in the hopes that I actually follow through on it this week... but I'm gonna try Crossfit. :eek: I'd like something to supplement my gymnastics. I just don't have the strength I had as a kid (probably b/c I was young and also in the gym so much of the week since I was on a competitive team) and need to do something more. I am a bit terrified of the weights that go along with Crossfit as nearly all of my strength training in gymnastics has always been done using your own body weight. I'm worried that the weights, medicine balls, etc. are going to be too heavy for me b/c I'm so tiny, but we'll see! I guess this is less about ski fitness and more about just overall fitness for me. I've found the last 2 seasons that I haven't really felt the need to "be in shape" for ski season, nor do I get the quad burn I used to get out of multiple days of skiing. So yay for improved technique, I guess?
You'll be just fine, especially with the gymnastics you have been doing. The coaching is more often than not fabulous, there are a few not so good places but I think fewer and farther in between than in the past. And unlike trainers they actually learn how to teach the exercises, not just how to prescribe them. I think you will love it.

Jilly

Staff member
Just be careful. I've friends that have done well and others that hurt themselves so bad couldn't work. If it ain't fun too....

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
To be fair - that's true of all activities. I missed a lot of work with this recent ski debacle!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
To be fair - that's true of all activities. I missed a lot of work with this recent ski debacle!

This. I mean, gymnastics is inherently dangerous or so some think... yet in all my years, outside of some jammed toes and random aches and pains I've only broken a thumb and big toe? Not bad.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
With all your gymnastics and stretching, you will be fine.... Now me, I'd be a walking wreck getting hurt.....

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Truth. And honestly there are machines at the gym you walk in and sign papers and are ready to work out on that are way worse for you than any lifting you will do in Crossfit. For example, the leg extension machine, aka - the leg extinction machine - puts significant strain on you ACL as well the first half of the lift literally drags your knee-cap over the thinnest layer of cartiledge in your knee and wears it down. The back extension machine? How many times do we have to be told not to lift with our backs? The smith machine, the abdominal twist machine......I don't think it's any less safe than a simple commercial gym membership especially since they have a substantial onboarding program for new members.
1*Cul5-LUg52iejhp07SoVbg.png

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Truth. And honestly there are machines at the gym you walk in and sign papers and are ready to work out on that are way worse for you than any lifting you will do in Crossfit. For example, the leg extension machine, aka - the leg extinction machine - puts significant strain on you ACL as well the first half of the lift literally drags your knee-cap over the thinnest layer of cartiledge in your knee and wears it down. The back extension machine? How many times do we have to be told not to lift with our backs? The smith machine, the abdominal twist machine......I don't think it's any less safe than a simple commercial gym membership especially since they have a substantial onboarding program for new members.
1*Cul5-LUg52iejhp07SoVbg.png

I note they didn't include skiing ;-)

I wonder what they count as an injury. Lies, damn lies, and statistics!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I note they didn't include skiing ;-)

I wonder what they count as an injury. Lies, damn lies, and statistics!

I'm actually shocked skiing isn't on there.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna