• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Getting In Shape for 2016/17

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Today we worked on side planks. My trainer thought they would improve my squat pattern. It did work, I think. He also helped me improve them. Straighter body, straighter shoulders, tighten glutes, etc. 30 sec. holds. My strength training today consisted of half kneeling lifts and pulls with tubes (bands), side lunges on the trx and patterning for hip hinging. When I got home I used my slide board and slid for 30 sec. rested then repeated 5 times.

Yesterday I was picking up crab apples in my yard. I squatted down to pick them up. I was thrilled. I can't remember the last time I did a squat that was not intentionally performed for exercise. Still can't toe touch on my own though.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
ugh. I feel it. I actually have great balance, but this morning I tried doing Bosu squats at the end of 2 hours of Pilates/lifting/cardio (including mini-blasters). My legs were shaking like dry leaves and sweat was splashing everywhere. Pleasant picture, I know. Bosu is definitely something to do at the beginning or middle of a workout.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
On Monday my physical therapist had me do jumps on the reformer. I bad to do them single legged because I couldn't keep my low back flat. Right leg did great, left leg not so good. Then he bad me do a plank type exercise on the reformer. You hold the bar, then push your legs back into a plank. By the time I did 20 I was shaking from head to toe. He described it as a hamstring stretch but it felt like a lot more was going on.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
My trainer had me do this plank like thing on the half ball (whatever that's called). It was super hard as I needed to bring my leg/knee forward and back as I was planking. He also had me do this plank like thing holding on to a wheel. I just about crashed to the floor. Hmm. Maybe was not ready for that. Also, chiropractor did some method called HANSON ????? kind of like acupressure. Said it's an eastern medicine technique. OW.... that hurt.

Jilly

Staff member
I have a love/hate relationship with the Bosu ball.

I've been taking a class at the gym called "all bad, no bounce". Sometimes we do circuits, sometime just a few weights and a pad. After the first class I decided to bring a small towel. I'm still doing my personal training on Monday's. And now up early and on my stationary bike in the morning. Got to get this 10 lbs off soon!

gr8outdoors

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, wayyy past tense. I can still do a few things but I'm too scared to even do a backhandspring on a tramp these days.

Take my advice and don't do a back handspring on a trampoline. Two years ago, I thought I should try that (also a former gymnast) and did it at a trampoline park. The result was a broken wrist.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Take my advice and don't do a back handspring on a trampoline. Two years ago, I thought I should try that (also a former gymnast) and did it at a trampoline park. The result was a broken wrist.
Oh I believe it. I am scared to do the one without hands, I wouldn't dare use my hands. and even then I don't see it happening. lol. Hope your wrist healed well.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My workouts are moving along. Still working on building core strength and stability. Since my side planks were good on Friday to "challenge me" my trainer had me doing them on the TRX. Harder but doable for 11-17 secs.

The benefit of all the things I'm working on occurred on Monday at PT. A week or so before I started this training program my physical therapist checked my ankle strength and the movements were pretty wobbly. I remember I struggled to do the 20 reps he ask me to do. Monday I performed them all with slow, strong movements. No shaking. Amazing because I had stopped doing the exercises so I expected to completely fail the test. Next week I get evaluated so I might be done with PT. Yay!

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Can I share a small success here? For the past year, I think I have been in denial about my weight and fitness. I started weight watchers in mid-September and as of today I have lost 14 pounds. I still have a long way to go but I am proud of my progress so far. Now I need to start doing my strength training again. I was working with a personal trainer 2 years ago and saved all my plans. I am excited to start.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sadly due to a little hole in the cartilage under my left patella I cannot do any ski-specific workouts and classes, since lunges, squats and jumps especially with weights are movements I must avoid doing without need to extend my knee's useful life. Machines are better because they allow control over range of movement. I have been going to the gym from start of summer 3-6 times a week, 45 minutes on a bike or a cross-trainer at 80%, followed by extensions (only last 30 degrees) and machines for hip flexors/adductors, and then 10 min stretching. Nothing ski-specific but at least when it comes for cardio fitness/endurance results have been noticeable - I have considerably increased the intensity and register well above the average for my age group/weight. At home I do daily push-ups, pull-ups and planking and knee strengthening exercise I was shown by physio. Still expect myself to be in pain after the first weekend - in the past no matter what I did pre-season I needed a 7-10 ski days to get to optimal ski form.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna