• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Your fav jam?

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
What tunes do you like to listen to when skiing???

I'm putting together a skiing playlist. So far at the top if it is Drugs(instrumental) by Lil Kim. Its got this hypnotic groove that reminds me of the rhythm of beautiful linked ski turns...

SkiRunYoga

Certified Ski Diva
Here's another question I was thinking as well:

Do you listen to tunes while skiing or not?

I don't listen to music, I find it distracting and don't enjoy skiing with others who do.

I actually got really upset at one of my x-bf's in the past when we were boarding in BC (before I skied). We were in some pretty steep, very heavily gladed double black terrain and I asked him to turn off his music. There were areas where I found it nearly impossible to get through, and super scary actually. As much as you try to stay in view of one another, it doesn't always happen. So I told him "PLEASE turn off your music incase I need to yell for you." Well him being his usual selfish self, didn't listen.

I got seriously stuck a few times and yelled for him. No answer. I screamed so loud it hurt my throat. I was actually panicking because it was so deep (snow) and so gladed I had no idea how I was going to get down. :eek: Took me a good 45 minutes to get through that small part of the mountain (board sliding and tree hugging) back to the chair lift. He wasn't there. Found out he went back up to look for me, so I decided to teach him a lesson and went back up. Took a different run down a couple of times before I headed back down the other run where he was waiting at the chair lift...almost ready to get ski patrol involved.

He turned off his music from that point when we were going down anything like that.

I also find it annoying when you find a route you want to take instead of the "planned" one, and try to yell to the other person that you're changing directions....they don't hear you. Not a big deal on a small mountain, but when you're riding huge almost-backcountry terrain with no cell phone reception, s t u p i d!

ranting done...

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
Oy! I was afraid of a response like that!:doh::bag:

Listening to music while skiing, I can see being a hot button issue. Of course you've got to be smart about it.

For me personally, I would only listen to music if I'm skiing in bounds at a resort on trails that are well within my abilities and if I were skiing by myself.

For me personally, a day in the backcountry would be ruined by music. I'm there to enjoy the serenity and simplicity of the natural world, not have Snoop Dog shouting in my ear, though that might be fun in a different situation.

For me personally, music would be a no-go in any situation where it could compromise safety. I realize that is different for different people, but I think there is a bit of common sense here. Just like running on the treadmill to music is OK, but running along a busy highway with headphones in might not be the wisest idea.

I guess I was hoping that in asking my question, it might be kind of assumed that listening to music was happening in a situation where it would be safe to do so. Though it seems that with every helmet now equipped for headphone compatibility, perhaps some folks are assuming that any situation where one needs to where a helmet is an OK situation for listening to music while skiing.:noidea:

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like listening to whatever's blaring from the speakers in the snowboard pipe area--it's usually pretty good rock'n'roll.

I don't listen to music while skiing. Maybe I'll start carrying an iPod to use on the lift this year.

altagirl

Staff member
We do have several existing threads debating whether or not to listen to music while skiing. Probably best to leave this thread along the lines of the original topic of what music do you listen to if you are listening to music skiing and leave the safety/being annoying to everyone around you/ruining the natural rhythm of your turns/etc. comments to the other existing threads on that topic.

So maybe we can just pretend that this thread about music is all related listening to on the lift when you're on a chair by yourself... or in your car on the way to go skiing... :D

Here's the latest thread on debating whether or not to listen while skiing:
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11330&highlight=music+skiing

altagirl

Staff member
I'm putting together a skiing playlist. So far at the top if it is Drugs(instrumental) by Lil Kim. Its got this hypnotic groove that reminds me of the rhythm of beautiful linked ski turns...

I just tried finding that song on Amazon MP3, but can only find the main version, not the instrumental one... :(

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
listening to music ...on the lift when you're on a chair by yourself... or in your car on the way to go skiing... :D

Sounds good to me--bring on the playlist ideas!

altagirl

Staff member
I know for me it depends on my mood - sometimes I like mellow stuff that has more of a flow that reminds me of turns, other times it's just something upbeat and energizing... or something I liked from the soundtrack of a ski movie that really reminds me of floating through powder...

Everything You Need by Slightly Stoopid is a good one.

skimamma

Certified Ski Diva
I agree with altagirl. It depends on my mood, and what I am skiing. When I ski powder I like something very mellow, it helps me relax. However, when I ski groomed runs, I enjoy more up-beat music. My ski playlist includes everything from Enya to Black Eyed Peas. My headphones are bluetooth...so I can skip to the next song on my list if I am not in the mood for the current one...works really well (I can also turn the sound up, down, or OFF, when needed). Some of my favorite songs recently are: When we stand together (Nickelback), Rolling in the Deep (Adele), Dangerous and Sweet (Lenka), Shook up the World (Puddle of Mudd), Accelerate (REM), Living Well is the Best Revenge (REM), and Sunrise (Norah Jones). I am really all over the map!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I am so old it's pathetic, and my tastes reflect it. When I ski, I LOVE classic Motown -- pretty much anything -- and strangely enough, the Beach Boys. Both work great for skiing. Also terrific: Lyle Lovett's rendition of "Summer Wind," Tom Wait's "Shiver Me Timbers," Joe Cocker's "Feelin' Alright (Not Feelin' Too Good Myself)," and "Ooo-la-la" by Grace Potter.

Can you tell I'm a Boomer? :redface:

BTW, my husband just chimed in to say his favorite is "Love Shack" by the B-52's, which is pretty hysterical if you know him.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga