• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: You are going on a trip and can bring 2 pairs of skis. What do you grab?

mustski

Angel Diva
In past seasons, I normally grabbed my 96ish skis and my powder skis (116 waist). Then I bought the Stockli Stormrider 85ws and they became my "other than powder option." I (foolishly) thought that no ski would ever replace them. They were the "do everything" unicorn of skis ...until... I took them in the trees with more than 9" of fresh pow and my skill set was not up to the task. I demoed the 2022 Secret 96's which became loved enough to purchase. Now, I am so torn!

Caveat: I am a Western skier. My Stormrider 85ws are - literally capable and awesome in most conditions. My Volkl Ones (116 waist) are sooo good in powder where my skills lack. The Secrets hit the sweet spot in the middle.

Which 2 do I bring to Taos?

What are your travel choices?

marzNC

Angel Diva
When I fly to ski out west, I cheat. I put my Stormrider 85s in a Sportube. My DPS Zelda powder skis stay with Bill in Albuquerque, so he brings those.

The Zeldas are 130-106-120. I wasn't planning on buying powder skis but a Diva offered a deal that was too good to pass up. Before I got the Zeldas, I was perfectly happy with just the Stormrider 85s for up to a foot of fluffy powder. More that that and I would rent powder skis.

At this point, all the skis I use out west have Phantom treated bases. In the early and late season, that means I consider bringing my old BPs, 88 underfoot, as rock skis.

marzNC

Angel Diva
For Taos, having the Secret 96s for fresh snow would be probably be enough. Meaning in addition to the Stormrider 85s.

My Alta instructor doesn't want people on skis wider than 100 for a powder lesson. That was his recommendation not only for me (petite), but also for my Mnut ski buddy who is over 6 feet.

Taos instructors seem to prefer narrower and shorter skis in general. The season I did a Women's Ski Week that included 4 days of rentals, I got the BP98 @152 for 9 inches of fresh snow. My Stormriders are 154cm. When I had the K2Alluvit 88 @156, my instructor considered them too long. She thought the BP88 @145 I got the next day were much better. It was a low snow season so we were mostly skiing groomers even though it was an advanced group.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Take the Secrets and the Stormrider...and demo rental if it gets too deep?

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
In past seasons, I normally grabbed my 96ish skis and my powder skis (116 waist). Then I bought the Stockli Stormrider 85ws and they became my "other than powder option." I (foolishly) thought that no ski would ever replace them. They were the "do everything" unicorn of skis ...until... I took them in the trees with more than 9" of fresh pow and my skill set was not up to the task. I demoed the 2022 Secret 96's which became loved enough to purchase. Now, I am so torn!

Caveat: I am a Western skier. My Stormrider 85ws are - literally capable and awesome in most conditions. My Volkl Ones (116 waist) are sooo good in powder where my skills lack. The Secrets hit the sweet spot in the middle.

What are your travel choices?
Definitely your 96 and 85.
If you get some great deep powder, put your skis together and ride on 96 or rent a pair.
My powder skis are 90. Like most ski instructors say, there were no "powder skis" way back and people skied on their skinny waisted pairs.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I'm planning on bringing one pair of skis (probably Sheeva 9 - 92mm) and rent powder skis if a good size dump. I also have Sheeva 10 (102mm) and older Camox Birdie 96 (stiffer than current ones) so there's that. I have enough to lug around so it will be one pair of skis....
If driving, a different story though.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Wait until the week before you go to decide.

- If Taos has not gotten a ton of fresh snow, and none in the forecast: Bring the SR and Secret
- If Taos has not gotten a ton of fresh snow, and there's a big dump in the forecast: Bring the SR and Ones
- If Taos has gotten good snow, and potential snow when you're there: Bring the Secret and the Ones
- If Taos has been having an epic year, and there's more fresh snow in the forecast: Throw caution to the wind and just bring the Ones

Ask yourself, would you be more bummed to bring the Ones and not use them, or not bring them and want them?

mustski

Angel Diva
^^^ That’s pretty much what I was thinking. I bought the Secrets because the Stormriders weren’t cutting it in deeper piles in the trees.

I am actually interested in what others travel with!

Last edited:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
^^^ That’s pretty much what I was thinking. I bought the Secrets because the Stormriders weren’t cutting it in deeper piles in the trees.

I am actually interested in what others travel with!
And you're driving, right?

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Out of yours I'd take the 85's and the 96's.
Good point made above, if you're driving and got the room take all 3?
I don't have real powder skis because I live in Minnesota. I just don't get that amount of snow and when I go west its only for a week at a time during the summer.
Last season I had one "powder" day. 5 inches of snow with rain on top. I wished I brought my 90 waist heavy and stiff big boys that love deep snow, I just wasn't thinking. The skis I had that day were 88s ,lighter and slightly softer. I still had a blast though with the change of pace. After all the fresh tracks were gone, I skied in the trees for the first time really ever for the whole afternoon. We don't have many chances for tree skiing here so I took the opportunity while it was there.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
We are driving but Bob will also bring 2 pairs of skis and we have 2 large dogs in the truck. The roof rack will only hold 3 pairs so one of mine will go inside. Two each is the limit. The weather forecast will be the determining factor. My Volkl Ones are soooo much fun that I wouldn’t want to ski anything else in powder.
What did you bring to Taos last time?

lisamamot

Angel Diva
We flew. I brought my Volkl 90eights which worked mostly- but were too wide for some of the drills. Hence the reason I am thinking the Stormrider85s are a better choice.
Stockli Stormrider 85s + 1 TBD based on the forecast.

The TBD will be:
-90s = Santa Ana 93 or Sheeva 9
-100 (my widest) = Santa Ana 100

My Santa Ana 100 are long and pre-metal...I keep meaning to replace them with something a bit shorter and slightly sturdier, but it hasn't been a priority since they don't get used often. From what I read when Taos gets a dumping it is light and fluffy though so they may be just fine there.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah I am with @lisamamot and @elemmac - I would decide based on the forecast, right before the trip. I have a similar quiver - 80 mm Montero AX, 94 mm DPS and 104 Nordica Enforcer Free which I will trade in for SR102. I will be choosing my 2 skis based on the forecast right before the trip.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I usually take my carvers--and fatties. Carvers are liberty 76's) and my renouns z-90's my bomb proof skis. but now have Sheeva 10's it will be Sheeva's and Liberties OR I may be getting stockli CX's (69 underfoot) definitely wait and see the forecast. you can always rent if they got a big dump. I demo'd sheevas in over a foot at Alta and 'had to have them' lol

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga