• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Yay there are riders who ski here!

Jersey Fresh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think most of the threads are older but I'm an avid rider. My first love was skiing my second was horses.

What does everyone do? Anyone own horses? I have a 16 yo TB gelding who's mostly a pet now. He's my former adult hunter but after several years out of the show ring, we stared dabbling in eventing. He loves it! Plus we did so much flat work getting him rideable for the hunter ring, we nail our dressage tests at our first two events

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been riding and showing since 1976! I feel old! I have always owned Arabians and always shown in various disciplines on the arab circuit. My most successful horse ever is the one I own now, and I just found out today he has laminitis in his right front hoof and I am devastated. It's a conformational case of it vs. classic rotation--he has a club foot on that side. So I am hoping corrective shoeing and lifelong maintenance will get him back to at least being rideable for fun.

I was actually going to go ski for a couple hours today after a quick trip to the barn. Perspective...**sigh**

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm a former hunter and eq rider. I don't have the time/resources for horses at the moment--plus skiing gets in the way! I still try to keep sort of involved in the horse community--I still subscribe to the Chronicle of the Horse and kept my USEF membership.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Was heavily involved in the horse industry for many years from pony club to professional, rider/ owner/ licensed official for hunter jumpers/some eventing and dressage....
got burned out. Became more involved in surfing competitively/ surf industry. Still catch-ride occasionally at a local barn and trail ride w/ family.
@contesstant we started about the same time......

hmmmm connection between riders and the Samba?

Jersey Fresh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been riding and showing since 1976! I feel old! I have always owned Arabians and always shown in various disciplines on the arab circuit. My most successful horse ever is the one I own now, and I just found out today he has laminitis in his right front hoof and I am devastated. It's a conformational case of it vs. classic rotation--he has a club foot on that side. So I am hoping corrective shoeing and lifelong maintenance will get him back to at least being rideable for fun.

I was actually going to go ski for a couple hours today after a quick trip to the barn. Perspective...**sigh**

Ugh thats not fun. Mine is a bit clubby RF and any time I have issues upfront its that foot. Hes currently getting a week off because hes been super stiff for some reason. More than normal. Hes usually pretty sassy in the winter and hes been dead so I know somethign is up. Unfortunately all of the vets here are at the AAEP meeting...

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Was heavily involved in the horse industry for many years from pony club to professional, rider/ owner/ licensed official for hunter jumpers/some eventing and dressage....
got burned out. Became more involved in surfing competitively/ surf industry. Still catch-ride occasionally at a local barn and trail ride w/ family.
@contesstant we started about the same time......

hmmmm connection between riders and the Samba?

Haha who knows!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ugh thats not fun. Mine is a bit clubby RF and any time I have issues upfront its that foot. Hes currently getting a week off because hes been super stiff for some reason. More than normal. Hes usually pretty sassy in the winter and hes been dead so I know somethign is up. Unfortunately all of the vets here are at the AAEP meeting...
If only they could talk. Mine was not his happy self this summer and it was ulcers. I've had horses with ulcers before but his presented totally differently. They're so much like babies--you guess and guess and guess. And then feel horrible if you guessed wrong!

Jersey Fresh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Its definately a hard thing to juggle in the winter. Especially since my job has been pretty tied up during the week. I seldom get out to ride more than 2-3 days during the week. So when I ski on the weekends, I dont get to ride (its 5 hrs to the mountain from here). The college girls keep M going but I lose fitness when I not riding 4-5 days a week.

Luckily we take it pretty easy during the winter an ramp up in spring. I think Im going to have to get him going even more for this year since eventing requires a bit more fitness than hunters.

Heres my guy in our former adult hunter life. Love him :smile:

Attachments

• Marcus July SRF.jpg
    Marcus July SRF.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 17

Jersey Fresh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Haha. I never wanted a gray but the right horse came in the wrong color wrapper. He LOVES mud. And poo stains. We spend a lot on cowboy magic :smile:

Jersey Fresh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Me too. Little did I know Id end up with a 100% chrome one haha.

Actually my first horse I got out of grad school was dark bay with white. My absolute dream horse. Too bad he thought flipping over was a good idea....

I do like having a grey except for the clean up. Hes flashy and stands out. But man he is a pig!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My mom bred this guy who was foaled in 2oo3:
208597_1014644692721_5004_n.jpg

He was my DREAM. Biggest, loftiest mover, with a mind to match his talent. He was also incredibly funny. He very sadly died in 2009 from complications of a myelogram. I did get to show him myself once, and we won our first class :D
Here he is at age 5 with my trainer at the time:
1930239_1088808426768_2881_n.jpg

This is my current boy, whom I purchased shortly after the one above died in 2009. He has won and won and won and won all the way up to the national level with me. He's just a willing partner who has so much heart, so I forgive the fact that he is a giant chicken (and mostly laugh at it now.) He's shown most of his career with a pretty nasty hind suspensory branch injury and just keeps going and going. And now the laminitis...
548930_4494806134582_818062468_n.jpg

Jersey Fresh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh man I love your chestnut! Sorry to hear about all of those issues.

Marcus is a chicken about certain things (he has a wicked spin in him too) but luckily hes all business in the show ring and super brave over fences. But put a camping chair near the outdoor and you better hang on... or my personl favorite, the coat over the railing. Sigh. Hes lucky hes so fun.

What do you show your arabs in? Is that hunter under saddle?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh man I love your chestnut! Sorry to hear about all of those issues.

Marcus is a chicken about certain things (he has a wicked spin in him too) but luckily hes all business in the show ring and super brave over fences. But put a camping chair near the outdoor and you better hang on... or my personl favorite, the coat over the railing. Sigh. Hes lucky hes so fun.

What do you show your arabs in? Is that hunter under saddle?
Yep, if they do their job well it's easy to forgive their silliness at other times for sure. I have also discovered now that mine is boarded at a major QH/reining show barn that other breeds are equally as spooky and hot at times, and arabians get a MAJOR bad rap for that. A good horse is a good horse is a good horse. I've always said life's too short to ride an ugly horse (awful, I know!)

I show in "hunter pleasure" which is honestly more like "dressage pleasure" where they have to be round and pushed up to the bridle with exceptional self-carriage. My favorite discipline is saddleseat--you want to talk about an adrenalin rush, get on one where you can see their knees bend up to their chest and see their hooves flying underneath you, with a ball of energy to boot, and it's just a blast! Some of them launch you a good foot out of the saddle with every stride--talk about taking balance to stay up over them! Unfortunately, the really good saddleseat horses cost a fortune, not just to purchase (I can hunt out a deal) but to keep shod and in training. So, with mine facing retirement, I am considering switching to reining/ranch pleasure where we get to go fast, do patterns, and have exceptional connectivity with the horse. I really can't buy another horse for at least a year, but it's on my radar. One of the trainers in my barn has a half arab palomino mare who is beautiful and has chrome to boot. I call her the barbie horse. She's for sale, but...we just bought a house!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gilly1965