• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Would different skis make it easier to ski steeper terrain?

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
tinymoose said:
I'm going to ditto all of the very wise people in the post above. Please don't make the mistake I did. I had a pair of Volkl Lunas that were a GREAT intermediate ski to learn on. They were 142 in length so too short for me at 5'1". I replaced them with Idylls briefly and then Kenjas, but I should have just picked up a longer pair of Lunas since I liked them minus the length issue. Instead I landed myself on some Volkl Kenjas. Fun ski, I enjoyed skiing them a ton and felt I could control them just fine... they were very confidence inspiring, but in the end they were realistically way too much ski for my size and ability. Going softer again this year has been incredibly helpful for me. Even though I only skied 14 days this year, I can see a difference on video in my turns this year vs. last year. Be wary of going to too much ski too soon, because it certainly can hold you back. In retrospect now I wish I hadn't spent two years on such a stiff ski. I still improved as a skier in those two years, but I think the ski still limited me.

Although, I snagged one of those pairs of Kenjas, so it's all good. ;-)

ling

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry to disagree. The OP said the skis were 5 or 6 years old so no tip rocker. The new Cloud 8's have tip rocker and, from my experience, tip rocker makes all the difference in the world in the turny feel of the newer technology. I agree that lessons are still the best investment, but she is not on the most current technology.
I always heard rockers are great for soft snows. I've never heard rockers helps in steep groomers.

BTW, to the OP, how well does your boot fit?

While I'm usually not a "buy another pair of ski" type, having skied Sun Valley for the first time this season, I would go so far to say Sun Valley is an exception to the rule. The mountain has a large percentage of steep groomers. A soft flex "interemediate ski" could be a liability even for an intermediate. A stiffer "advanced" ski maybe the answer. (and a couple lessons to learn to use them effectively)

Another thing, are your current ski's edges sharp?

It could be all of the above combine though.

Last edited:

mustski

Angel Diva
I always heard rockers are great for soft snows. I've never heard rockers helps in steep groomers.
There is a wide range of "tip rocker." Early rise rocker barely affects the edgeable surface while making the ski much turnier. I am an anomaly - I love fast, hard corduroy. It comes from growing up skiing Quebec and Vermont and having now spent way too many years in SoCal where I live for the morning frozen corduroy before the spring slush! Tip rocker will still leave a ski a great carving edge ... if the ski is not too short to begin with. Tail rocker is a different story as is the more extreme rocker generally found in powder skis. It's all a matter of degree. I love both my Hell's Belles and my Auras (2012) on steep, hard, fast groomers.

I love fast hard cuordory also, ahhh that's what skiing in the northeast will do for ya lol. I have also only been on skis with tip rocker. Both pairs of my rocket ship carving skis have tip rocker and grip ice and hard pack like a BOSS. Quite honestly this gives me much comfort on a steep cause they just dig right in there and hold am amazing edge. The tip rocker makes them so easy to turn.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There is a wide range of "tip rocker." Early rise rocker barely affects the edgeable surface while making the ski much turnier. I am an anomaly - I love fast, hard corduroy. It comes from growing up skiing Quebec and Vermont and having now spent way too many years in SoCal where I live for the morning frozen corduroy before the spring slush! Tip rocker will still leave a ski a great carving edge ... if the ski is not too short to begin with. Tail rocker is a different story as is the more extreme rocker generally found in powder skis. It's all a matter of degree. I love both my Hell's Belles and my Auras (2012) on steep, hard, fast groomers.

Doesn't everyone love corduroy?! :wink: My general reaction when I find some goes something like this:

Me: CORDUROY!!!!!

Me: *throws arms out in excitement*

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Actually, I'm not a fan of corduroy! I sometimes feel like it trips me up--or maybe I imagine it it will. :ski3:

Give me ungroomed pow any day.

As to the original question, I've heard a slightly stiffer ski with less side cut is a better ski for really steep slopes--and I mean wicked steep, because there is more contact with the snow. But now with rocker and all that, who knows? I think being on a ski you are comfortable with is the best confidence booster.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love corduroy especially with fresh on top! Feels like skiing on cream cheese or a wedding cake!

I love steep groomed or fresh. I've been skiing non rockered Atomic Heaven's gates for years they are not stiff. I skied and loved Sun Valley's steeps.
I say Nonsense you need a stiff ski to ski steep.. you need to 'ski' your ski.
Do some people ski a ski better than others (yes)
Do some skis ski better in one conditions vs others (yes)
Does Rocker affect the ski (yes)
Do Non Rocker skis still work (yes)

I think if you are on a stiff ski (as an beginner/intermediate) on a steep trail you'll be more likely to have 'chatter' because you are not carving the ski due to fear, the speed, inexperience, chatter leads to more fear, often sitting back and perhaps getting out of control and bad ride.

Learning to ski your ski well then going into the steeps to learn to enjoy the feeling of being out over your skis takes time (& lessons) and of course the mental part, once it is conquered steeps are a blast..

Steeps have definitely become more fun for me as of late i will say that. I just went down a trail this am the i have never been down. I knew there were a couple narrow chutes but i said you are never going to get over your fear unless you just do it. The trail was so much fun.

There was one headwall that caused me to pause but i just slowed down my speed, and took my time. I realized i didn't change my turn shape at all, carved relatively narrow all the way down, top to bottom.

I have learned that proper position when going down a steep is more important than what skis i have. When i am positioned properly i have complete control over my skis and turning is a breeze, especially in a steep.

That said i prefer a stiffer ski because on a day like today when it's icy and hardpack feeling my edges dig into the frozen granular is like a hug from my favorite grandma. Frankly feeling that grip gives me additional confidence knowing my skis have my back so for me i find this in stiffer skis.

Last edited:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have learned that proper position when going down a steep is more important than what skis i have. When i am positioned properly i have complete control over my skis and turning is a breeze, especially in a steep.

+1

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna